Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

So Europe is seemingly the target. Interesting.

don't mind him aiming high at all, as long as no drama when we don't make europe

Yeah, nowt wrong with aiming high I guess if there's no fuss about not making Europe in the end.

How are the system now? Will 7th be enough for Europa League this season? Or does it depends on who wins/lose the FA-cup final?

From my understanding:

Say if Man City wins the Carling Cup this season, that would mean 6th place becomes an Europa League place. Then if both FA Cup finalists have already qualified for the Champions League/Europa League, 7th becomes an Europa League spot.

The important thing is to be making progress, because then at end of season we can say, we're getting there. Assuming we hold onto him (it's ridiculous that these days there's panic over a player we've JUST SIGNED) I imagine he'll be happy to be part of an improving project, this is the beginnings, the squad is thin, we've been playing out of our skins, and next season with a further strengthened squad we should start being more than just underdogs raiding into the european places and expecting to be up there.

If we didn't and just did a sunderland and sat in the area then dropped off could understand him being p*ssed off, he did after all leave a club that was in the champions league for us. Those quotes do not indicate he is in anyway p*ssed off, and eveyrthing he's ever said about us seems to indicate he is a top bloke who has fallen for the club, though I do think some kind of hypnotism must have been involved bringing him here :D

Himself, he had a bad game against chelsea, but think he's basically deputising for Tiote, he was playign deeper than Guthrie. I think Guthrie has been very good, I do think that people should consider that when Tiote is doing the defensive role Cabaye should pick up and be much stronger going forward, but do wonder if we should be playign a 3 man midfield while need to protect a new backline.

Don't think he was that bad against Chelsea.  He's certainly far less effective when he has to sit deep, the tackle on Sturridge was clumsy as fuck mind. That said, he was only back there because Ryan Taylor was floundering about 60 yards out of position having a coffee break.

He breaks up a lot of play, he really hounds midfielders, stays on his feet, challenges the opposition player, nicks the ball, leaves them on the floor.  He did this about 3-4 times against Ramires.  I think if he's not picking hollywood diagonal balls or hitting 25 yard screamers, people seem to think he's had a poor or quiet game, but he's always involved one way or the other. 

We did miss Tiote badly though, as many predicted, we struggled against their midfield 3.

So Europe is seemingly the target. Interesting.

don't mind him aiming high at all, as long as no drama when we don't make europe

Yeah, nowt wrong with aiming high I guess if there's no fuss about not making Europe in the end.

Yeah, plus you have to keep setting targets or the players will relax too much.

Just think his performances have dropped over the last 5-6 weeks. I think overall he looks an astute signing but he's only really gripped one game so far (Villa away) and it's a shame we've not seen more of that influential display.

Just think his performances have dropped over the last 5-6 weeks. I think overall he looks an astute signing but he's only really gripped one game so far (Villa away) and it's a shame we've not seen more of that influential display.

Their midfield was fucking woeful and we had Tiote running the show.  The Stoke game, a midfield wasn't really required, the Everton game he went off injured and the last 3 have been City, Man U and Chelsea.  Not surprised he's dropped off a bit in those games TBH.

I think he sits a lot deeper with Guthrie and will certainly be better with Tiote back.  You have a bit of a point mind, I do fear he might burn out a bit.  Still trying to get to grips with the pace of our league, seems to now play in every international game and isn't playing in a midfield 3 like before at Lille.

Out of the next game after 5th booking according to pards

Impressive, given that he wasn't booked. Pathetic.

Ease up, thats straight from the pardew video on nutv. Says "hopefully have cheik back ande we'll need him because i think yohann got booked today so he'll be missing"

I think Pardew jsut got it wrong because i agree unless something happened in the tunnel then pardew must have got mixed up

Out of the next game after 5th booking according to pards

Impressive, given that he wasn't booked. Pathetic.

Ease up, thats straight from the pardew video on nutv. Says "hopefully have cheik back ande we'll need him because i think yohann got booked today so he'll be missing"

I think Pardew jsut got it wrong because i agree unless something happened in the tunnel then pardew must have got mixed up

After the Jonas thing I thought you were trolling.

Pards must just be making an error (hopefully)