Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Don't see why this bloke couldn't be our number nine, like. Obviously the knee is well-documented and he'll be fooking off for the ACN, but when he's fit and playing he appears to have everything you'd look for in a lone striker. He was a beast in a s**** West Ham side and is another Frenchie at the end of the day, the set-up here could fit him very, very well.

i can see why, when his knee blows up we'll be starting shola every week and all the good work we've done building a team will count for nothing as he uselessly surrenders possession over and over again.

cant we just bring in someone with a decent pedigree and a good injury record too? it's not like we're skint enough to have to try and bring free transfers in. he'd be a good addition but no way should he be our starting number 9 next season.

:thup:

Leon Best? Are we assuming he'll be injured as well?

his injury record's not great either like is it. like i've said, a proven scorer or a very promising prospect with a good injury record. yes these players are hard to come by but it's the one area where we're severely lacking and the one area we need to be strong in to improve on last season. choosing between ba, best and shola just isnt acceptable to me.

I just don't see why Ba would come here to play second-fiddle. If he joined us he'd surely be our number one striker, and may be the only one on the pitch if we are going down the suggested routes formation-wise. If everyone is wrong about the proposed change into a lone-striker line-up, and we are playing primarily 4-4-2 again, then I agree we should be looking to sign two strikers.

If the former was the case, though, I certainly wouldn't complain too much with Ba in there, with Leon Best as next in line and Shola there for as third-choice.

I would be expecting investment in other areas though, naturally, with the money we'd "saved" on the transfer fee for a first-choice striker.

Can't afford to be too picky tbh. He's better than what we've got currently and costs nothing. He's going to want a canny wage which is fair enough, the only issue is his fucked knee but the club obviously know about it and would presumably put something into the contract to prevent us getting burned on the deal.

Thing is if HBA is going to play behind a main striker and be the link between CM and attack, then that means we would be picking one striker from... so would we really be looking at signing another striker for good money ?

Ba

Shola

Best

Loven

Since signing for West Ham in January, he started 13 times and made 2 sub appearances out of a possible 17 games btw.

I think he was deliberately rested for at least one of those and maybe more (cup games?) and wasn't thrown in for his debut straight after the window had closed.

How about signing Ba and Shane Long as well? I think that could work out quite well tbh. I know Long isn't proven but he looks quick and skilful. Could well turn out to be a Bellamy sort of signing.

Surely if his knee is that much of a problem we can write it in his contract that when he's out with a knee injury (that one only) his wages are halved, any other injury or reason and we pick up the bill like a normal player. If that clause went in length of contract and wages wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I suppose a play and pay, huge bonuses for starting games and scoring could even it out also. I could see him going away on NT dough and blowing out his knee and were stuck with a ruined player for years his country cannot afford to pay his wages during.

Does anyone know how many games he's missed due to his knee (before wham) or is it a future problem that hasn't really happened yet?

I didnt really take much notice of him to be honest, but from what other people have said, he seems to be a decent player.

If he is available on a free, and he sounds a decent enough player, then wouldn't be a bad signing.

Can't afford to be too picky tbh. He's better than what we've got currently and costs nothing. He's going to want a canny wage which is fair enough, the only issue is his fucked knee but the club obviously know about it and would presumably put something into the contract to prevent us getting burned on the deal.

thats the thing though, something in the contract woud prevent us from being fucked financially, it does nothing to prevent us from being fucked where it counts, playing best/shola every week. as it stands the jury's still out on best imo, i think we deserve a better striker leading the line

I would love to see us bring Ba in. He has goals in him but to be on the safe side I'd also like to see us go for someone like Sturridge as well. Bottom line, 2 strikers are definitely needed.

Since signing for West Ham in January, he started 13 times and made 2 sub appearances out of a possible 17 games btw.

Cheers Jonny :thup:

A forward selection of Ba, Best, Ben Arfa and another quality signing would be very good imo. Then we would still have Shola, Ranger and Loven if we don't git rid of any.

I'm aware of the reports linking Ba with the Geordies , like me my mate thinks that the wages the player wants would go against the business plan of that club. The last he heard (which unlike the above [re: us being in for N'Zogbia] ^^^^ is just gossip) Everton were the players favoured destination .

That's from an 'ITK' on bluekipper who has got a few things right beore. His mate is a football agent.

He posted last week that Ba was after 72k a week.

I'm aware of the reports linking Ba with the Geordies , like me my mate thinks that the wages the player wants would go against the business plan of that club. The last he heard (which unlike the above [re: us being in for N'Zogbia] ^^^^ is just gossip) Everton were the players favoured destination .

That's from an 'ITK' on bluekipper who has got a few things right beore. His mate is a football agent.

Cheeky bastard. He'll get 30k and fucking like it.

Cheeky b******. He'll get 30k and f***ing like it.

Think he's already on 30/35k at West Ham and a free transer means he wants some of that saving passed on in his wage packet.

Can't see anyone being daft enough to pay him over, say, 50k though.

Cheers Jonny :thup:

A forward selection of Ba, Best, Ben Arfa and another quality signing would be very good imo. Then we would still have Shola, Ranger and Loven if we don't git rid of any.

:sadnod: