Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Also - West Ham away in 2008.

"Here pet, why's there so many Aussies in here?"

"Because it's an Australian bar mate."

:lol:

That was a brilliant night, despite the shitness of that club we got tricked into going to. Still don't understand why Fulham had an Australian bar that seemed to be brimming with actual Aussies, though.

All the Aussies in London love in Fulham

Knock on fucking wood lads! Think the reason he was unhurt is that Bardsley's left leg slowed his momentum down going into the tackle, and softened the impact enough to leave wor Colo unharmed.

What a fucking legend! My favorite player at the club at the moment.

In the Beeb team of the week.

FABRICIO COLOCCINI

Centre-back

Newcastle United

Last week you Mags put a coherent argument together and brought my attention to the skipper's performance. Against Sunderland he was even better. A stylish defender fit for the modern era. Pity I can't say the same about the haircut!

Did you know? Coloccini made 11 clearances. Only in one game last season did he make more, and that was the same fixture: away at Sunderland.

Finally starting to get recognised a bit more by outsiders. People at work down here still think he's shit though. Morons.

Same, can't even be arsed to bring him up in conversations about Newcastle anymore. If I said 'Coloccini is class' they would react like I said 'David Nugent was the best striker to ever pull on an England shirt'.

Ordered our third kit with 2 - Coloccini  :thup:

Been our best player for the past 2 seasons and easily the MOTM in our first 2 games. Unbelievable how good he´s come after his very poor first season. Usually when people go on about players needing to adapt bla bla I just roll my eyes but Coloccini is a prime example of how sometimes players need a bit of time to get settled.

He wasn't very poor all season mind, started off well with Bassong. It just went tits up, like everything else that season.

I remember him being outmuscled quite easily and slow on the turn, thought he looked nothing like 10m central defender during our relegation season whilst Bassong was our best player and it came as no surprise that he was sold for 8m (12m with add-ons if I remember correctly?).

Might be a bit unfair on Colo as our midfield during the 08-09 season was shocking and I can´t remember a single game where we didn´t get played of the park with the opposition dominating the midfield and attacking relentlessly.

He wasn't very poor all season mind, started off well with Bassong. It just went tits up, like everything else that season.

I remember him being outmuscled quite easily and slow on the turn, thought he looked nothing like 10m central defender during our relegation season whilst Bassong was our best player and it came as no surprise that he was sold for 8m (12m with add-ons if I remember correctly?).

Might be a bit unfair on Colo as our midfield during the 08-09 season was shocking and I can´t remember a single game where we didn´t get played of the park with the opposition dominating the midfield and attacking relentlessly.

I remember Smith having to go back and head goal kicks away because whenever it went near Colo it would end up behind him.

Doesn't matter now like, as you say the rest of the team was terrible, and now Colo's class so it's fine.

Despite the difficulties and criticism he endured during his first season and arriving at a club in turmoil he never went missing, he played almost every game when some players might have found a dodgy hamstring or something to get out of the firing line.

That probably says as much about the bloke as his sublime ability does and contributes towards him being a great player and not just a good one.

you could put down his poor form in the relegation season to combination of utter chaos that was us then and him trying to adapt to a new league and style of play in said league, some players find transitions like that easy others take time and tbh I think the detour through the championship was better for him in the long run, allow him to adapt to English football while building his confidence back up and now showing how classy a defender he is

Benwell Lad is right though whatever other criticisms were thrown at him he never hid once even while his confidence must have been at an all time low