Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

More important to the side than Tiote at the moment for me. We can cope without Tiote but no Colo and the defence would really suffer.

I obviously desperately hope we hold onto both players but If I had to choose between the two staying, I'd take Colo.

Of course he is. And - both shall stay.

ALAN PARDEW says that Newcastle United would not be where they are without Fabricio Coloccini.

The Magpies go into Saturday’s game with Chelsea with the chance to strengthen their grip on a top-four place – and knowing victory will put a four-point cushion between themselves and the stuttering Blues, who lost to Liverpool in the Carling Cup last night.

The Magpies are very much the surprise package of the Premier League this season, and Coloccini one of the stars of the show for Pardew.

His influence was seen in the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford against champions Manchester United with a sterling display that secured the point which kept Newcastle in fourth spot.

Coloccini got up from the treatment table to play against the Red Devils after a back problem looked likely to rule him out – until he insisted on playing.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “It was Colo’s bravery that got him out there, and we wouldn’t have got the results without him – 100%.”

And Pardew has backed Coloccini to play through the pain barrier again if necessary against Andre Villas-Boas’ under-fire Londoners, while praising the Newcastle medical team.

“How he played at Man United I don’t know,” he added. “He could hardly walk off the training field on Friday.

“His back seized up and the medical team did a fabulous job on him.”

Meanwhile, former England Under-21 star Steven Taylor has also sung the praises of Coloccini after their fantastic partnership propelled the Magpies into the top four.

Whitley Bay lad Taylor said: “To work with Colo each day is great for me. You can only learn from him and get better. He’s a great leader for us and the partnership is going really well.”

The pair’s performances this season have resulted in Taylor being assessed by England assistant coach Stuart Pearce.

Taylor was last called into the England squad in 2007 under Steve McClaren, but has yet to win a full cap after captaining the Under-21s under Pearce.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/11/30/boss-says-nufc-success-down-to-coloccini-72703-29867142/#ixzz1fCB7MCy8

:smitten:

TBF to him, in his whole time with us, he has never once gone into his shell, feigned injuries or gone missing.  Even when he was Comedy Coloccini in his first season, he would still keep plugging away and kept giving 100%. 

I don't think I have ever changed my opinion on one of our players, as much as I have done with this man.  I remember me dad (who is an old school Arsenal fan BTW) saying he'd come good after going to Fulham away with him in the relegation season.  Said he really rated him and he has obvious class and reads the game so well.  I laughed at him  :lol: how wrong I was!

If these cunts manage to fuck up contract negotiation s with him my fucking bollocks will explode with anger, he is a superb footballer and a great leader, if we lose him over money then it will be clear that Ashley has leant nothing from his mistakes.

Very concerned about Colo being overwrought. Would help so much if we had some vaguely competent/tested brought in/available from January.

Don't think we're good enough to be in a position to rest the guy entirely for any game, but you feel he really does deserve a break! Quite grateful the Argentina national set up is a little moronic.

Speculation/opinion on my part, but over the course of 2011 (calendar year) I think our star performer has quite comfortably been Colo, followed by Jonas. The latter's performances have started to drop off over the last few games (prior to his dismissal) and I imagine it's because he's done more running and work than anyone in the team. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but it would be nice if we could start to rotate players out of games after 70odd- minutes (if we have a comfy-ish lead, for example).

The ilk of Sammy, Vuckic and Abeid can get game-time and be nurtured, while older/indispensable heads can avoid running themselves into the ground for the full 90 week-in week-out.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “It was Colo’s bravery that got him out there, and we wouldn’t have got the results without him – 100%.”

And Pardew has backed Coloccini to play through the pain barrier again if necessary against Andre Villas-Boas’ under-fire Londoners, while praising the Newcastle medical team.

“How he played at Man United I don’t know,” he added. “He could hardly walk off the training field on Friday.

“His back seized up and the medical team did a fabulous job on him.”

Imagine how different our season would be if Bardsley had suceeded in breaking his leg in the second game of the season.

Taylor playing with his broken nose as well - and who knows how many other knocks they've both taken and still played on?

On current form he should be in PFA team of the year.  Don't expect any of our players to get enough votes for that though.

On current form he should be in PFA team of the year.  Don't expect any of our players to get enough votes for that though.

IMO, hes def one of the top 3-5 CBs in this league.  I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion on how he would  compare to others in different leagues, I don't really follow any other leagues anymore, but some of what he does on the ball and off the ball are just sublime - world class.

That Tottenham goal.  :smitten:

What a goal, and celebration too.

Guest johnson293

He didn't seem to be limping heavily.

^ This - and Perch was ready to come for a minute or two before he did, so it wasn't a case of get the ball out ASAP to get Colo off.

Hopefully it was just precautionary, and it'll be sorted in the week.

Shame we are in this position of having to play out first choice pairing all season though with little or no rest, because the only back-up options we have for those positions are poor (Perch) and injured (Williamson).