Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Couple of times I've seen Obertan on his bad days (which has been a few games on the trot now), my main criticism of him along with his indecisiveness has been his passing, so I'm surprised at the positive comments.

Often his passing seems slow like he's not actually concentrating on making the pass itself, and he seems to make them when he's near a team mate so after all of his progressive movement, he slows the play down.

It would be silly to say he's flat out shit and will never improve, but at the moment I think he's comfortably our worst starting player and Marveaux should be starting ahead of him.

Marveaux is a much better player right now from what I've seen, can't argue with that.

He's a much better player technically but whether he'll provide as much work down the right flank all game is another question. He seems more of a forward type than a genuine wide man which may be why Pardew prefers Obertan, who for all the criticism does run up and down for 90 mins, if not very incisively at times.

Marveaux is a much better player right now from what I've seen, can't argue with that.

He's a much better player technically but whether he'll provide as much work down the right flank all game is another question. He seems more of a forward type than a genuine wide man which may be why Pardew prefers Obertan, who for all the criticism does run up and down for 90 mins, if not very incisively at times.

Yep, agree with that. What Obertan has in his favour is the ability to bring pace and potential threat for the whole 90 minutes. Even if (so far) he hasn't used it to its full potential.

I also think that Marveaux has just as much potential as a midfielder or more central player, but we'll use him wide due to the makeup of our squad.

well it´s hard to know because HE NEVER GETS THE CHANCE TO PLAY :hmm:

He isn't a wum, he's just mental. Like, actual certifiable straight jacket mental. You only need to read 1 of his GC posts to work that out.

:lol: about 75% of them are THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!! except in about 400 words spaced out in a horrid fashion

Was absolutely sh*te yesterday when he came on, one of the laziest players I've seen play for Newcastle in the past few seasons, needs to take a few lessons off Ba on work rate, he absolutely ran his socks of all game. On the goal I'm 99% sure that Givet is Obertan's man who he should be marking, yet it ends up with Givet 5 yards out and Obertan quite a few yards away just waiting for him to head it in!  :rant:

Also there was one point where he got down the right wing, put a sh*t cross in that was blocked and deflected a few yards behind him. Instead of sprinting to it to get it he let one of the Blackburn players (Olsson?) get in front of him and kind of backed off him as if to say 'I'll let you get the ball because I don't want to challenge you'

Really peed me off last night, Marveaux has to start from now on.

Sounded like the commentators were even slating him, yet was talking to me mate on FB earlier and he was impressed with Obertan when he come on???? Probably p*ssed.

I'd actually agree with your mate... And before you ask I was the designated driver!... Blackburn doubled up on him every time but still took them both on more often than not... Obviously prefers the pull back cross as he did that on a few occasion with no one reading them apart from the one leading to the penalty... My concern is his bravery in certain situations which was quite noticeable in the wall for their 3rd goal if you look closely... Something in him... Just getting it out... Still very young and played very little... Football is funny... Watching Marveaux change the game against Wigan you couldn't help think start with him... Then Marveaux does little when given his chance and Obertan comes on and looks promising... Is that a paradox or something? :-)

I am definately not prepared to right off this guys chances of doing well here just yet, however it now is time to give marveux a run in the league, obertan may be more useful as an impact sub rather than a regular starter...

I am definately not prepared to right off this guys chances of doing well here just yet, however it now is time to give marveux a run in the league, obertan may be more useful as an impact sub rather than a regular starter...

Agree with all :thup: far too early to right the lad off but Marveaux has been impressive and Obertan will still get enough minutes.

Agree with all :thup: far too early to right the lad off but Marveaux has been impressive and Obertan will still get enough minutes.

:thup:

Do you not think there will be a temptation to start him at Stoke because of his size?  He's got a great leap on him TBF, but strangely mistimes it when he goes for headers, he's also pretty weak considering his frame.

Still, Marv is tiny and I think maybe Pards might be a bit reluctant to give him his first league start against Mongville FC.

Spot on.