Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

At the end of the day, Pardew is giving him a proper run in the side which he hasn't had for a few years now whilst at Man U. Obertan is having his first real crack at the Prem with us, so I believe it will take a bit more time for him. Against Stoke, I thought he played his role superbly well, hitting them on the counter with his pace and actually using the ball well. If we can get more of those performances, then I'm sure opinions on here would change. As it stands aswell, who else can actually do a job out on the RW apart from Ben Arfa, who hasn't got a chance in hell of playing there? I get as frustrated with him as everybody does, but I won't write him off just yet.

At the end of the day, Pardew is giving him a proper run in the side which he hasn't had for a few years now whilst at Man U. Obertan is having his first real crack at the Prem with us, so I believe it will take a bit more time for him. Against Stoke, I thought he played his role superbly well, hitting them on the counter with his pace and actually using the ball well. If we can get more of those performances, then I'm sure opinions on here would change. As it stands aswell, who else can actually do a job out on the RW apart from Ben Arfa, who hasn't got a chance in hell of playing there? I get as frustrated with him as everybody does, but I won't write him off just yet.

Jonas on the right, Ben Arfa on the left.

Jonas on the right, Ben Arfa on the left.

Would be what 99% of us would do, however with Pardew seemingly not budging on his stance of Ben Arfa not playing on the wing, it's not going to happen :(

Both wingers were pretty poor I thought.  Jonas flattered to deceive and kept slowing up play at the wrong times.  Obertan was decent enough first half, few ropey crosses, but beat Taylor easily on a few occassions, created chances and caused a bit of havoc.  Totally anonymous second half though and looked uninterested.

If only he could sustain a decent level of performance for 90 minutes!

Neither are good enough for a top seven team in this league. Jonas impotent against good defences - and a spare part when not convering the full-back.

Obertan is just well... one-dimensional. Not a fan at all. Would rather we still had Barton, tbh.

Both wingers were pretty poor I thought.  Jonas flattered to deceive and kept slowing up play at the wrong times.  Obertan was decent enough first half, few ropey crosses, but beat Taylor easily on a few occassions, created chances and caused a bit of havoc.  Totally anonymous second half though and looked uninterested.

He beats the full back quite well and does well to get a few yards, but he hesitates when he wants to put a cross, as if he's trying too hard to look up and pick someone out.

Most of the time, you can just launch in it into 'the danger area' between defender and keeper and Ba or Best will have at least a chance of getting to it.

He beats the full back quite well and does well to get a few yards, but he hesitates when he wants to put a cross, as if he's trying too hard to look up and pick someone out.

Most of the time, you can just launch in it into 'the danger area' between defender and keeper and Ba or Best will have at least a chance of getting to it.

He ends up looking slower than he is because of how hesitant he is.  When he just gets his head down and runs he is fucking lightening, quick off the mark too. 

I know what you mean about the looking for the perfect pass/cross.  Annoying thing is, he usually ends up giving the ball away or playing it in to nobody in particular  :lol:

He ends up looking slower than he is because of how hesitant he is.  When he just gets his head down and runs he is fucking lightening, quick off the mark too. 

I know what you mean about the looking for the perfect pass/cross.  Annoying thing is, he usually ends up giving the ball away or playing it in to nobody in particular  :lol:

Yeah, I haven't seen him so much as _try_ to whip in a cross from a deep position, which is strange given that he ought to have the technique for it.

Spot on.

Agree with this, though I'd be lying if I said I've seen a great deal of promise to date. One decent game in sixteen appearances so far - he must improve and Pardew must drop him if not.

Guest The_Optimistic

I think the WBA game is the final chance for Ober to prove himself.  He has had a string of games now but hasn't proved himself for me.  He doesn't seem to to want to run past his man and takes the easy option everytime which is not going to win us games as a winger.  Bellamy yesterday set a great example how to use your pace.

i'd drop Jonas for the upcoming match personally, though that's more to do with he fact his form is poor, that he looks really tired and that we're playing our 2nd match in half a week. Obertan's shown isolated flashes of talent, that usually don't amount to anything substantial like a chance, or even a fucking cross most of the time, but he has more energy about his game than Jonas currently does.

Jonas form has dipped quite a bit after a brilliant start to the season. It seems like everytime someone pushes him for his spot, he raises his game (Marveaux). He was brilliant up until we played Everton. Still, his defensive capabilities and work rate exceeds Obertan's and they both create an equal limited amount of chances right now. Too much pressure on Cabaye to make things happen when we don't have wingers that produce chances, evident at Norwich and likewise against Swansea. Therefore HBA needs his chance on Wednesday night.

Agreed, this is what's frustrating about him. He really hesitates 9 times out of 10 and as a result, when he does deliver a ball into the box, it ends up being a poor ball. Like you've implied, he's more likely to succeed if he delivers the ball into the box first time.

The strangest thing about Obertan is his insistance to cut back inside all the time or just cut back and slow things down. If he really just ran at full backs he'd put them under great pressure because he's got the beating of most of them speed wise. He might lose the ball a few times but he'd get more balls in and probably win a few penalties. Can't figure that one out.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

would drop Jonas on Wed, he looked seriously shattered at the weekend, didn't do half as much running as usual

And replace him with who? Lovenkrands?

The strangest thing about Obertan is his insistance to cut back inside all the time or just cut back and slow things down. If he really just ran at full backs he'd put them under great pressure because he's got the beating of most of them speed wise. He might lose the ball a few times but he'd get more balls in and probably win a few penalties. Can't figure that one out.

it's the most frustrating thing

cuts back in, 8 step overs, panic, ball lost

Might seem ridiculous to some to suggest but it almost seems like he's trying to hard to impress at times.

I think sometimes he overthinks things a bit... he's an intelligent lad but sometimes intelligent people don't make the best footballers. He needs to operate more on instinct.

Also this. Lad probably knows this is / has been his golden chance and is probably putting himself under immense pressure to deliver. I'm not sure how this is going to come out in the long run.. I think we will probably sell him back to a club in France next year or something.. :sad: