Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

The good players he has let go in the past tend to be because of questionable mental attitude, except Beckham. Stam was allegedly drug taking and Ronaldo went for nearly the same amount of money we were sold for so you'd be daft not to sell.

Ferguson talks about it in his autobiography. Doesn't think too much of Pogba as a person.

He would probably think a lot better of him if he signed the contracts they were offering him. The boy ran down his contract purposely, so he could leave for a paltry fee and was worth an eight figure fee in less than one year.

It is a bit ridiculous to act as though Manchester United never let go of players that could have helped Newcastle United at a point in time. Even the likes of Diouf, Tosic, Simpson, Shawcross, etc. could have contributed at this club. He generally made the moves that were best for Manchester United, but it is a huge club and so much talent comes and goes. Smith, Butt, and Obertan are just poor chocies. The first two were immediately regrettable investments on players who were not the same physically after years of injuries and playing at the top level. Obertan was an acceptable risk to take who simply hasn't worked out and only racks up appearances at NUFC because there has not been proper recruitment to replace him.

Whist both were clearly mis-steps, it's a bit harsh comparing Butt and Smith in the same breath IMO. Butt at least had a good 12 month spell in his time here (after he came back from Birmingham) and offered some moderate leadership abilities; Smith was somewhere between anonymous and fucking dire in every game he played in, other than the Arsenal 1-1 home game under Allardyce.

Ferguson talks about it in his autobiography. Doesn't think too much of Pogba as a person.

He would probably think a lot better of him if he signed the contracts they were offering him. The boy ran down his contract purposely, so he could leave for a paltry fee and was worth an eight figure fee in less than one year.

It is a bit ridiculous to act as though Manchester United never let go of players that could have helped Newcastle United at a point in time. Even the likes of Diouf, Tosic, Simpson, Shawcross, etc. could have contributed at this club. He generally made the moves that were best for Manchester United, but it is a huge club and so much talent comes and goes. Smith, Butt, and Obertan are just poor chocies. The first two were immediately regrettable investments on players who were not the same physically after years of injuries and playing at the top level. Obertan was an acceptable risk to take who simply hasn't worked out and only racks up appearances at NUFC because there has not been proper recruitment to replace him.

Ryan Shawcross fucking moonwalks into the current Man U defence.

The good players he has let go in the past tend to be because of questionable mental attitude, except Beckham.

I don't think the though too much of Beckham's attitude, mind. It's been a while since I read the book but I think he said something about Beckham being the only player he managed long-term who wanted to be famous more than he wanted to be a great footballer.

The good players he has let go in the past tend to be because of questionable mental attitude, except Beckham.

I don't think the though too much of Beckham's attitude, mind. It's been a while since I read the book but I think he said something about Beckham being the only player he managed long-term who wanted to be famous more than he wanted to be a great footballer.

I can imagine that being true tbh. But he still gave his all when it counted.

Guest Howaythetoon

Smith had been a decent player before he joined us and was a broken player when they let him go. That's not excusing his performances or anything like that. But Obertan, here is a player who was given a huge chance to become something when he joined us yet due to his zero mental strength, heart and sheer ineptitude with a ball at his feet, here we have a player who is basically robbing the club of a wage and the game a shirt. I would put in a better 90 minutes for NUFC than him any day of the week and I sincerely mean that. When he tried to pass the ball only to hit his opponent 3 times in succession... seriously he should have been sacked for that alone. I've never seen a player who cost a few million quid with his pedigree play so much like he belonged on the stands. Rotten isn't the word. He is trully awful. He is Joe Kinnear, Ashley, Llambias all rolled into one as a player. God I hate the prick and his gormless looking face. Even if he put a bit heart and effort in he would be 20% better than he is which is 20% better than nowt. I honestly hope he suffers a career ending injury just to put himself and all of us out of our misery and to also free up a wage/shirt for someone who might actually make it in the game.

Baffling why he was considered some kind of prodigy by Leeds fans like, he always seemed like an incredibly average forward.

I can guaranteed you'll never hear such a shift in perception of a player's ability when he signed for Man U in 2004.

Then again, they all wanted to sign him again in 2011 when it became clear we wanted nowt to do with him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Smith was a good player who for whatever reason never quite become the kind of player he could have been, I think being played in CM and RM seriously fucked with his career. He was never a prolific goalscorer, but he was a decent forward with an eye for goal. Injuries also played their part. He was a very good prospect at one point though.

Smith was a good player who for whatever reason never quite become the kind of player he could have been, I think being played in CM and RM seriously f***ed with his career. He was never a prolific goalscorer, but he was a decent forward with an eye for goal. Injuries also played their part. He was a very good prospect at one point though.

I stand by my opinion that Obertan is the worst footballer I've ever seen play for us. He has no heart whatsoever and is thick as whale spunk. He is quick and that is it. Football ability he has zero of it. He's a coward. How he is a professional footballer I do not know. We spent several million pounds on him. He came from Man Utd. He is from good stock back in France. He is a freak and should be nowhere near a football pitch. We've had some shit players turn out in the past but this fucking imbecile takes the piss.

:lol: Nail on head

I think his cowardice sets him apart from other shit players. I can accept that some players aren't very good but the effort and will is there to try and attempt to influence a game. This fucker though, jesus christ, he's petrified and it's become awkward to watch him fail every single time he appears (was going to use 'plays'). Just release the cunt and be done with it ffs.

Annoying thing was seeing Routledge leave so we could sign the fucker. Routledge is/was limited but at least he could contribute along the way. 

Smith had been a decent player before he joined us and was a broken player when they let him go. That's not excusing his performances or anything like that. But Obertan, here is a player who was given a huge chance to become something when he joined us yet due to his zero mental strength, heart and sheer ineptitude with a ball at his feet, here we have a player who is basically robbing the club of a wage and the game a shirt. I would put in a better 90 minutes for NUFC than him any day of the week and I sincerely mean that. When he tried to pass the ball only to hit his opponent 3 times in succession... seriously he should have been sacked for that alone. I've never seen a player who cost a few million quid with his pedigree play so much like he belonged on the stands. Rotten isn't the word. He is trully awful. He is Joe Kinnear, Ashley, Llambias all rolled into one as a player. God I hate the prick and his gormless looking face. Even if he put a bit heart and effort in he would be 20% better than he is which is 20% better than nowt. I honestly hope he suffers a career ending injury just to put himself and all of us out of our misery and to also free up a wage/shirt for someone who might actually make it in the game.

So much hate in this :lol:

Smith is the worst I've ever seen play for a prolonged period. Butt, the season we went down, was utterly disgraceful too - but he had a couple of decent spells prior to being possibly the worst footballer I've ever seen for us.