Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Listening to Pards thoughts on Gaby (sic), have to say I thouroughly agree with him, this lad is only going to improve.

At the same time I'm keen to see Marveaux get his chance. My current guess is Marv will start in the LC vs Blackburn.

I quite like Obertan.  Think he will be useless against the Manchester clubs and Chelsea though, doesn't look after the ball well enough and his tracking back has been a bit hit and miss compared to earlier in the season.  Wigan is the kind of game where he should shine, same as Blackburn, which was his best game for us.

Good comments from Pardew on Obertan tonight, completely agreed with him. Obertan needs to have the confidence to take his man on a bit more, but at the same time he has to not be one-dimensional and just keep the ball for us sometimes as well. Pardew gave me the impression that Obertan is maybe a bit fragile and doesn't have much self-belief, but as he said, he's only young and has only played 10 or 15 games in the Premiership. Hopefully the confidence will come with games and he'll start to realise what he can do to full backs when he goes at them at the right time. Sounds like he's definitely playing on Saturday, which I think is a good thing. Wigan is just the sort of game where he could thrive in I think, a bit like the Blackburn game this season.

Obertan is clearly a work in progress and as everyone says, he has the speed and trickery to make him a potentially good player. Normally you've got to stick with that kind of player for them to get anywhere. Were we simply a middle table club, we could play him every game without thinking too much about it. The thing is now though, we're looking like we could finish in the Top 7 and kick on in the CC, in which means something to play for and every little factor and decision becoming more important, especially when there are weaknesses in other parts of the team (fullbacks, lack of goals from mf, wayward crossing, Saylor maybe) at the level we are talking about. With Marveaux having more experience over his career, it makes this a really tricky decision. For big three games against teams that will punish us when we lose possession, Marveaux would probably be a safer choice.

Guest Dontooner

The model for the Current Newcastle regime builds on breeding young potential stars...either selling them or keeping them performing within the team.

We need to take a realistic approach to where we would end up in the table while being able to breed young stars like Sammy,Mehdi Abeid etc.

Since we will most definitely sell our top stars for a good price, it becomes evidently important for us to play all this young players as much as possible so as to not be short when they leave.

Guest Dontooner

Really got some high hopes on Haris Vučkić personally... Potentially a star in the making....Reckon he could play on the right.

I will be glad if Obertan is given more chances till we have something obviously better on the right side. Jonas and Marvx still have a point to prove playing there. All this competition is great for the team.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Aye he's in the number ten role, He looked fairly lost when he played on the wing but I suppose he's still young.

Just seen his interview on NUFCTv and he seems like a really sound down to earth lad. Looks absolutely ecstatic to be playing every week, and I really hope Pardew sticks with him so he can develop into the player SAF hoped he would be.

More than happy for him to try and develop, but right now, I don't think a stint out of the starting XI would be that bad a thing, for him or the team.

Guest Heneage

He's by no means the finished article, he's 22.

I see potential, but clearly the mental side of his game still needs work. By the same token he shouldn't be given a spot in the first eleven because of those excuses.

I think inclusion in the first team squad and a run of games should see him settle and develop with us. From what I can gather he was very much on the outskirts of the first team at Manchester United and it seems to have diminished his confidence.

The only negative from today is the fans cheering when he came off. I've seen players with supposedly more talent chase back less than him, he does put a good shift in defensively.

I'd bring Marveaux in for him but a couple of times in the first half he linked well on the right before running across to the other wing and inter changing with Jonas. Looked a footballer briefly. Unlike the chance he had 2 on 2 in the first half where he was easily sheparded out for a goal kick. Jury out but due a rest.