NUFC v Arsenal - 13/8/11 - 5.30pm - Live on ESPN - MATCH ON

Fatwax

We had a good record against the traditional top 4 last season, beating Liverpool and drawing with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. SJP can be a very difficult venue for opposition teams when the crowd are right up for it and I think we will be on Saturday and will hopefully get a draw. 1-1.

Guest MrSundlofer

Defence

Harper, Forster or Krul? I think Pardew has faith in Krul and he will stand in goal for this game. Probably Harper on the bench then. Captain Coloccini is left-central defender as usual, linking up with José Enrique at left back, or will it be Pieters, Simpson or Tavernier this time? Steven Taylor will play in the right-central defender role. If Simpson is not used as a left back this game, he will play as right back.

Krul

Simpson - Taylor - Coloccini - José Enrique

Krul

Simpson - Taylor - Coloccini - Pieters

Krul

R.Taylor - S.Taylor - Coloccini - Simpson

Midfield

Will we play with 4 or 5 midfielders here? And will Barton play? I think Barton with his determination is needed against Arsenal but I can understand why Pardew decides not to play him. Tioté and Cabaye will both play, and I'm pretty sure Jonás will as well. Obertan will probably be on the bench, and so will Gosling (to replace Tioté or Cabaye if needed).

Our central midfield will be:

Tioté - Cabaye

I can see Barton play on the right wing and Jonás play on the left wing.

Barton - Tioté - Cabaye - Jonás

Didn't Marveaux say he can play as an central attacking midfielder? If we play 4-4-1-1, we can put Marveaux behind the striker? Or put him on the left wing and play Jonás in central (as he did vs. Chelsea).

Barton - Tioté - Cabaye - Jonás

Marveaux

Barton - Tioté - Cabaye - Marveaux

Jonás

Attack

Demba Ba will and must play. It will be nice to see him in action in a competitive game. If we play 2 strikers, Ameobi will join him.

Ba

Ba - Ameobi

Krul

Simpson  S.Taylor  Colo  Enrique/new left back

Cabaye  Tiote

Barton        Marveaux      Jonas

Ba

Or pretty much a 4-4-1-1.  Think Jonas or Marveaux could play anywhere across that 3, Barton could go in the centre if positions were switched and effectively make it a 4-3-3 when attacking. 

Think we will play 4-4-2 though with Shola up top with Ba.

Krul

Simpson      S.Taylor         Colo        Enrique/new left back

Cabaye  Tiote

Barton/Marveaux/Jonas                               Marveaux/jonas

Vuckic

Ba

i've liked vuckic this pre-season, looked sharp and would mind seeing him given a chance

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It'll just be

Barton Tiote Cabaye onas

Ba    Ameobi

Obertan, Marveaux and Gosling will all make appearances off the bench.

Guest ItalianMagpie

0-2, I'm afraid.

They have their problems, but we're still lacking of strikers and we could hardly play the new faces all together. In addition, we're once again without HBA.

We may be forced to play 4-4-2, we have no midfielders fit or with their head at the club.

how's RVP? is he ok? which player are definitely out and which are the ones that could play? I thought Wilshere was ok for Saturday?

I'd go:                  

Krul

Simpson  Colo  Taylor  fuck knows

Tiote    Cabaye

Barton                             Gutierrez

Gosling

Ba

Think Pards will be wanting prem experience. Wouldn't be surprised to see a midf and attack of:

Tiote

Barton                      Cabaye

Obertan                                                Jonas

Ba

Tiote/Cabaye/Barton changing around a bit and Jonas and Obertan swtching wings with Obertan more likely to support Ba in attack on account of his pace.

Think Pards will be wanting prem experience. Wouldn't be surprised to see a midf and attack of:

Tiote

Barton                      Cabaye

Obertan                                                Jonas

Ba

Tiote/Cabaye/Barton changing around a bit and Jonas and Obertan swtching wings with Obertan more likely to support Ba in attack on account of his pace.

That would work nicely, Obertan could move to support Ba and it becomes a 4-4-1-1 with Barton playing right if needed.

We may be forced to play 4-4-2, we have no midfielders fit or with their head at the club.

how many do you normally play?  :lol:

We like to have three centre mids but that seems an issue at the moment.

how's RVP? is he ok? which player are definitely out and which are the ones that could play? I thought Wilshere was ok for Saturday?

At the moment we have Vermaelen, Koscielny, Walcott, Gibbs, RvP as doubts, it seems Wilshere is definitely out along with Diaby. I wouldn't expect Nasri to play.

Think we could see something like

Szczesny

Sagna-Djourou-Vermaelen-Traore

Song-Ramsey

Gervinho-Rosicky-Arshavin

Chamakh

Rosicky will bore you to death passing sideways just infront of Tiote, Arshavin will stroll about like we are 6-0 up and Traore will forget he's a fullback and stand on the halfway line as you attack.

Gervinho and Ramsey will play will...

There are rumours Arshavin is injured and I hope so to be honest, I'd rather see Miyaichi playing.

Just got some tickets to head up to see this,  and with the news that Fabregas, Nasri & Wilshire all look like being out, I've just suddenly got a lot more excited about it.  Can't wait to see Cabaye in action,  and if Barton & Tiote both start, we should batter that midfield.

IF that's IF Jose is still here he HAS to play deal close or not and I would expect him to put in the shift f his life for us.

Didn't train, & supposedly off to have his medical now, so no chance of that unfortunately.