Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Precisely. We are playing an Arsenal side looking to secure CL football. If we likely lose, he doesn't need to pay a cent. If we win, the 1m is covered by any league position payout. Either way he gains free PR. Win-win imo.

'Kind-hearted' Ashley.

Imagine your bonus being dependent on Alan Pardew, just fucking imagine it :lol:

edit: I wonder at what kind of type a job like that would attract.  Their actions, at best, broadly influence the club but have no direct impact on results. 

Helped seal the deal for a great player? Good, here's your basic pay.  Now it's down to Pardew not to be crap and use that player and finish higher than eighth.  >then< you'll get your bonus. 

Seems like a raw deal.

Precisely. We are playing an Arsenal side looking to secure CL football. If we likely lose, he doesn't need to pay a cent. If we win, the 1m is covered by any league position payout. Either way he gains free PR. Win-win imo.

'Kind-hearted' Ashley.

He is a shrewd fucker at the end of the day

The quote that Dave posted shows the reason, to try and stop a 'them v us' scenario between players and staff. I like the idea that staff who have nowt to do with what happens on the pitch get a share of prize money.

So make it dependent on the final league position rather than a one game lottery, a more or less meaningless one for the players as well, in which the chances of him actually having to pay out are pretty damn slim. I think the initiative is PR related, but I still can't figure out why or how this benefits him or us.

The quote that Dave posted shows the reason, to try and stop a 'them v us' scenario between players and staff. I like the idea that staff who have nowt to do with what happens on the pitch get a share of prize money.

So make it dependent on the final league position rather than a one game lottery, a more or less meaningless one for the players as well, in which the chances of him actually having to pay out are pretty damn slim. I think the initiative is PR related, but I still can't figure out why or how this benefits him or us.

Didn't that quote say it would have been given for a top 8 finish, with a 25% payrise if they'd got 5th? It's a pretty good gesture given we've missed both of those.

I can't believe people are complaining about him giving out bonuses to the club staff.  Nice gesture imo.

Motives matter.

No one knows anything about his motives.

He's always throwing rather generous bonuses in the direction of SD staff. This is no different. It's how he operates. Let's just chill the fuck out.

The thing that annoys me is at some point this summer, like every summer, we won't sign a top player because we will refuse to pay that extra £1m...

The thing that annoys me is at some point this summer, like every summer, we won't sign a top player because we will refuse to pay that extra £1m...

It is just how we are run, this £1m will make absolutely no difference to transfer negotiations. If we think a player is worth a certain amount or we think we can get them for a certain amount that is all we will offer. Ashley/Llambias won't be thinking 'Well we would have offered a bit more but we paid out that bonus'.