Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Benitez may not be willing to walk till he's got us up but if we starve him from cash going up he'll surely walk. He's no fool and will have no intention of being in a club that doesn't back him. He's walked for less before.

I think you're right.  He's too honourable to walk away now.

Ashley will never change.  All he cares about is just being in the premier league.

Sadly true

Funny how he's stopped backing Benitez when his best pal Pardew is available again

This occurred to me when he was sacked by Palace and quite frankly terrifies me. I don't want to inflict him on any club (bar the obvious exceptions), but I kinda hope someone somewhere hires him so we don't have to worry about the smarmy arserag dirtying our club again. Either that or he gets TwentySixteened.

Guest neesy111

We've been relegated, we've had to sell players to make up the shortfall of being relegated so there's little money left in bank for additional signings.  I think that is likely the reason for our struggles in the transfer market so far.

I think we may be soiling ourselves prematurely over one transfer window here.

I am not so sure.  Rafa is the most meticulous manager we've ever had - our Summer transfer activity was proof of that - there was no messing around.  Rafa would have identified his Jan transfer targets months is advance. He always mentions how he's in constant comms with Lee Charnley so it would have been with a budget in mind.  Something has definitely occurred.

We've been relegated, we've had to sell players to make up the shortfall of being relegated so there's little money left in bank for additional signings.  I think that is likely the reason for our struggles in the transfer market so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/20/newcastle-andros-townsend-crystal-palace

Strongly placed to win promotion from the Championship, Newcastle have ample cash reserves but Mike Ashley, their owner, has provided Benítez with a rather less generous budget this month than had originally been envisaged

Except the info that Benitez was expecting funds to be available and they haven't been. Think Ashley's decided we're going to go up so doesn't need to spend any more money and will go back to the buying shit cheap and flogging it. Doubt Benitez will be impressed

Guest neesy111

I think we may be soiling ourselves prematurely over one transfer window here.

I am not so sure.  Rafa is the most meticulous manager we've ever had - our Summer transfer activity was proof of that - there was no messing around.  Rafa would have identified his Jan transfer targets months is advance. He always mentions how he's in constant comms with Lee Charnley so it would have been with a budget in mind.  Something has definitely occurred.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/20/newcastle-andros-townsend-crystal-palace

Strongly placed to win promotion from the Championship, Newcastle have ample cash reserves but Mike Ashley, their owner, has provided Benítez with a rather less generous budget this month than had originally been envisaged

Which is required to make up the shortfall for rest of the season.  You don't just spend all the money you've got in one go.

Putting final stamp on promotion and getting players bedded in for first season back up seems a solid investment to me, instead he may chance it that we'll get promoted anyway (which admitably we probably will do, but will leave us in a worse position next season regardless) to save a few buck. Failure to go up will cost more.

I don't mind the minimal budget actually per se, January window the value is dreadful and we have no reason to panic. What worries me is telling Rafa he has money to spend and then taking it away. It's a pattern I fear will repeat until Rafa decides he is sick of it.

Putting final stamp on promotion and getting players bedded in for first season back up seems a solid investment to me, instead he may chance it that we'll get promoted anyway (which admitably we probably will do, but will leave us in a worse position next season regardless) to save a few buck. Failure to go up will cost more.

I don't mind the minimal budget actually per se, January window the value is dreadful and we have no reason to panic. What worries me is telling Rafa he has money to spend and then taking it away. It's a pattern I fear will repeat until Rafa decides he is sick of it.

It's this for me. The last time we spent big in January we were trying to fight off relegation and had bought only Anita (of note) the summer before. January is a black hole for spending money and should really only be used if necassary. We're top of the league and have a capable squad to get us promotion so there is no need to over spend in a shallow market. I'm sure this is what the club is thinking and I would imagine Rafa agrees.

Bad value in January, saving money for going up, not blowing our wad in case we don't go up, there's a number of reasons there's no cash available and to make our own conclusions just causes angst for no reason. Rafa knows what he's doing, let's just see what happens and trust he's happy until he says he's not.

I hope so but I do think the reports have implied that this was not a mutual decision with Rafa at all sensible as it may be. Anyway no need to doom monger overly, will wait and see. I do think people seem to think that Ashley suddenly can't be an utter cunt again, he can and he will be at some point.

I don't think anyone really thinks Ashley can't be a c*** again.

But what the papers imply is irrelevant when Rafa himself has said it's business as usual and there's no problem. Media partners or not...I'm choosing to believe what Rafa says over the tabloids. I don't believe he'd lie.

Rafa is smart he'll just choose his words carefully - seem to remember him referencing 'till end of the season' quite a lot.

Maybe we got sick of daft fees being asked for average players and have decided publicly we've got no money.

Seems everyone on here thinks we've £30m to spend, but we don't, wonder if the rest of the footballing world are thinking the same?

A lot of our players will be on Premiership wages so outgoings will be substantial.  If we can get Andros on loan then that is a better deal for us. Seems no one else has stepped in and CP want rid. Reckon we'll get him near the end of the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Any tiny amount of goodwill he may have built up with the appointment of Rafa has gone for me, like. When Rafa eventually walks, which is just a matter of time, I'm done til this guy leaves. Hopefully in a casket, but we'll see.

I seem to remember KK arriving and the feel good factor kicking in with everyone feeling positive, its slowly dawned on KK that Ashley was not really interested in the football side of the club and was going enact a  strange transfer policy on him...

History repeating?