Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The 400m or 450m is aspirational and it's something you tell anyone and everyone so you're not negotiating against yourself and I've never for one second believed that price.

I think it's fairly obvious right now that Ashley has taken up whatever counsel he values and everyone has told him that if he decides to hold long term he's going to either have to put more money than the club generates by month (as he seems reluctant to use any bank facilities to finance transfers or defer monthly payments for transfers to spread cost) or he's going to lose Rafa Benitez, deal with another relegation battle, put more money in over what's generated and the value of the club will continue to degrade while his gross investment in the club continues to increase; again he will never get that money back in that scenario.

Finally he also needs to consider that his Buyer pool over the next few months likely turns its attention elsewhere if he doesn't strike a deal, he also will likely be weary of any other economic issues around the world that you can't forsee over the next 6+ months...he simply HAS to do a deal now or he's f***ed.

Agree with all that. I'd certainly be looking to dispose of any UK-based assets and get rid of sterling at the moment, that's for sure. I think he may feel he's lost control of the club to Rafa and that Rafa (backed properly) represents the best chance of success....plus of course, it's probably the perfect time to sell with the new TV deal coming up further inflating the price.

Ashley and his advisors will be well aware that the club is at its highest possible value right now with the ridiculous money in PL football and Rafa Benitez at the helm.

Even when we finished 5th, we wouldn’t have been as attractive as we are now.

He’ll know full well that he either sells up now for maximum value or has to continue to plough money in to sustain the value/run the risk of dropping the value altogether.

For this reason, I think the intentions to sell are genuine. If he can actually complete a deal is an entirely different scenario though.

Is this debt owed to Mike Ashley even legal? He owns the club lock stock. If i own a small business and run it badly and have to put my life savings into it to keep it going, that's a choice I make to keep the wolf from the door. The value of my company is reflective of how well it's been run.

Is this debt owed to Mike Ashley even legal? He owns the club lock stock. If i own a small business and run it badly and have to put my life savings into it to keep it going, that's a choice I make to keep the wolf from the door. The value of my company is reflective of how well it's been run.

Separate legal entities and all that stuff right?

Even as a small business owner if you put 100s into the company you are entitled to be paid back that money if the company ever gets up on its own feet as it's your money you borrowed to the business and not the business' money.

Guest The Little Waster

Imagine 52,000 fans at the next home game after the takeover singing a song to Amanda.

Youre welcome ?

Once the club is sold. the new owners should slap sportsdirect with a bill for advertising

I bet maintaining the advertising will be part of the deal.

People keep saying this, but anyone serious about buying and moving the club forward, will tell him to fuck off.

Liverpool is a global brand. Take a look at their sponsorship fees. It takes about a decade of playing in Euro and winning things and carting the team around Asia to build a brand. Anyone looking at us will have to spend about a billion to set us up for that kind of gig. With player wages draining money out of clubs you have to finish top 4 a few seasons running to even think about making money. You need to get into the level where the shirt sponsor is paying 30-50m. Think ours is 3.5m iirc.

There is a reason the whole time Ashley has been here there hasn't been one serious bid for the club.

IMO this whole saga is more mind games.

Buying football clubs has never been cheap, but then it's worth more than any other sport when it comes to merchandising and brand promotion. You get a worldwide market basically, and even running it on the cheap, Ashley will have benefited massively just through promotion of Sports Direct. What could someone do if they attempted to build Newcastle into a team that could at least challenge for honours?  Newcastle are one of the few clubs which carry enough prestige and passion for the game to make them a team which potentially grabs global attention IMO. It would be far better spending an extra £100m on them than clubs like Southampton surely?

Guest neesy111

Once the club is sold. the new owners should slap sportsdirect with a bill for advertising

People keep saying this, but anyone serious about buying and moving the club forward, will tell him to fuck off.

No deal then.

No deal then.

Better than a bad one?

No deal then.

Better than a bad one?

:banghead:

:lol:

It will be interesting to look back on this potential sale in hindsight.

It’s been a decade of too little hope, some anger and lots of apathy.

The latter is the worst it got.. when you stop caring. And lots of us did before Rafa came in and lit a fire under the club.

All we can hope for is that whoever buys into the club can see the potential and back Rafa while he’s here.

Rejuvenating this club is arguably his greatest achievement as a manager.

Total hypothetics here, but I wonder if we were taken over by a really wealthy investor, if they would look into the possibility of building on the Castle Leazes site again? We get 52000 a week now, and there's a fair percentage of our fanbase won't set foot in SJP until Ashley leaves, add a bit of feel good factor and the possibility of success and the demand for tickets would be phenomenal......I don't even think 60000 would be big enough.

The only reason it wasn't taken further last time, was the directors at the time didn't want to wait around for the results of a long and drawn out public enquiry. Plus, I'm sure old Dolly Potter must have popped her clogs by now.