Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I understand your country's poor journalism standards make you wary (on top of Ashley), but that's literally how reporting works, especially when reporting on bigger subjects. FT had a source close to the situation, that's how most info gets into the press. Outlets as large and reputable as FT don't just print things for the sake of it unless they're sure and trust their source, and if they do they heads roll. Honestly, with everything that's come out plus the statement, there's nothing to suggest that nothing is happening. Quite clearly people are interested, whether Ashley is actually serious and willing to meet an asking price is the main question.

Nobody is saying 'nothing' is happening what we're saying is that nothing 'will happen'. All we have so far is one tart and a fat guy (this time without the robe). ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4994808/Amanda-Staveley-makes-300m-bid-buy-Newcastle-United.html

Amanda Staveley makes £300m bid to buy Newcastle United from Mike Ashley... and she could release same figure for transfers if successful

• Newcastle United have been formally put up for sale by owner Mike Ashley
  • Amanda Staveley, the British financier, has mounted a £300million bid
  • Her firm, PCP Capital, values club at less than Ashley's £400m asking price

Amanda Staveley, one of the City's leading dealmakers, has mounted a £300million bid to buy Newcastle United that would see her become the new face of the club.

Staveley's investment fund PCP Capital Partners, which is backed by £28billion from the Middle East and China, is understood to be in talks with owner Mike Ashley.

A deal may be done by Christmas and Staveley could pump as much as £300m into manager Rafa Benitez's transfer funds.

City sources said PCP — which has previously been linked to a bid for Liverpool — targeted Newcastle because of its strong global following and the opportunity to grow rapidly.

Ashley bought the club for £134m in 2007 and officially put it up for sale earlier this week.

He is understood to have been approached by four bidders but was forced to go public after Yorkshire-born Staveley was spotted at St James's Park a fortnight ago and rumours began to circulate that she was negotiating a deal.

Ashley is thought to be keen on rustling up more bids to force up the price for the club.

Staveley, 44, was a key player in Sheik Mansour's acquisition of Manchester City in 2008 and is known to be keen on football assets.

Also from the Telegraph

Amanda Staveley’s takeover of Newcastle United has moved a step closer after it emerged she is expected to make a formal bid to buy the club in the next few weeks.

[...]

Telegraph Sport revealed details of that meeting, as well as confirmation of Staveley’s interest and it is thought a deal is moving closer all the time.

Significantly, it is believed she is also keen to conclude talks before Christmas so that she can release more funds for manager Rafa Benitez to spend in the January window in order to strengthen the first team squad.

Communication between Ashley’s team and Staveley has been happening regularly over the last fortnight or so, according to sources in the City, and it is understood it has been conducted in a mood of positivity.

[...]

Staveley, though, has the financial backing of her PCP Capital Partners firm, which has access to around £30billion of Middle Eastern wealth, and news of the progress being made will delight Newcastle supporters who have been desperate to see the back of Ashley for years.

So glad we've got Benitez in charge. Pardew would have bought 11 Hayden Mullins' with 300m.

Need moar left backs.

Not sure FMA will go for £300m, like, hopefully it's just the opening salvo.  I reckon £325m with a year of free advertising for SD might tempt him, especially with the extra coverage we'll get if we show a bit of ambition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41662958

In his new book 'Any Given Saturday' Given reveals his belief that the SportsDirect boss tried to run the club "on the cheap".

He said a low contract offer in 2009 left him disillusioned, and criticised what he felt were money-saving attempts to make him sign a transfer request once he turned it down.

'How much did they really want to challenge?'

The keeper told the Chronicle how he and his lawyer Michael Kennedy met with Ashley and assistant Derek Llambias for contract talks in 2009.

"I went out of the room soon after the meeting had begun and returned to the car," he said. "Michael was back out, sat in the passenger seat, soon after. 'We're not staying,' he said. 'That was not a serious offer in any way, shape or form.'"

"I was prepared to stay for the rest of my career but, ultimately, I was in my prime, a potential Premier League winning team wanted to sign me and Newcastle did not give any impression they wanted to chase silverware.

"How much did they really want to keep me though? How much did they want to be challenging? Did the boardroom care about keeping their most loyal players? In a word, no."

'A gun was put to my head'

Given felt Newcastle tried to make it seem as if he had been pushing for a move away from Tyneside.

In reality, he said, they offered him a contract worth less than he was already on.

"In the end, with me unhappy at what was going on and the lack of ambition shown by the club, a gun was put to my head," he said.

"They said they would not allow me to leave unless I signed a transfer request. By making me hand in a formal written request, it meant they could waive 10% of the fee I otherwise would've picked up after moving.

"With the fee being around £6-8m, it effectively meant I was waiving £600,000 to go.

"They made it sound like I was holding them to ransom and that poor little Newcastle were being stitched up by just another greedy footballer when, in actual fact, I wanted to stay - but only if Newcastle gave me a competitive contract and, by doing so, proved the club had big plans for the future."