Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

Harper

Simpson  Williamson  Campbell    Coloccini    Enrique                                   

Barton  Tiote  Nolan

Ameobi    Lovenkrands

That's quite a team :lol:

I seem to remember at the time that the scoreline flattered them as well.

Harper was poor for at least three of their goals, can't quite remember the fourth.

All i remember was the 4th, and absloute screamer of a freekick from Danny Higgenbotham of all people.

The trick will be to conceed as few free kicks as possible and holding it in midfield as best we can. We should be able to play it through their midfield with competance.

Just hope Cabaye turns up, despite the goals (obviously love another) needs to get his passing game spot on

The trick will be to conceed as few free kicks as possible and holding it in midfield as best we can. We should be able to play it through their midfield with competance.

Just hope Cabaye turns up, despite the goals (obviously love another) needs to get his passing game spot on

We need to make sure we clear the ball as far as possible rather than concede so many throw ins also. We seem to decide to concede more throw ins against these than any other team. If we can get the ball down and play, the likes of cabaye and tiote should boss against palacios and delap like. Its the long balls that are going to be a problem and Ryan Taylor / Collocini will be targeted.

There home record is two wins two draws four goals scored one conceded.

Our away record is two wins two draw four goals score two conceded.

Bore draw.

Id take that. I just want us to turn up and actually put a decent performance in because im sick of getting beat by that bunch

Id take that. I just want us to turn up and actually put a decent performance in because im sick of getting beat by that bunch

This.

The games last year were absolutely horrific. Would be brilliant if we could snatch a win on Monday but I would settle for a draw.

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/MatchPreview/0,,10310~2496128,00.html

TONY Pulis will make a late decision on whether to include Jermaine Pennant in his starting line up for the first time in almost three weeks after he impressed from the bench during Wednesday's Carling Cup tie against Liverpool.

The winger has been nursing a niggling thigh injury in recent weeks, forcing him to miss the matches against Maccabi Tel-Aviv in the Europa League and the 3-1 defeat against former Club Arsenal last weekend.

Should he return then he will be expected to replace Ryan Shotton on the right hand side of midfield. In the middle Wilson Palacios is pushing for his first Potters league start, with Rory Delap, Glenn Whelan and the recently rested Dean Whitehead all hoping to get the nod.

Matthew Etherington should resume on the left hand side of midfield, whilst Pulis will make check on the fitness of Jonathan Woodgate before deciding whether to hand him his second start in five days.

The City boss has options aplenty at the back with Robert Huth and Matthew Upson both pushing for a recall, likewise is Andy Wilkinson who wasn't named on the bench against Liverpool.

Record signing Peter Crouch could return to the starting line-up, but Kenwyne Jones' impressive performance last week could see him resume his spot in the starting eleven.

Mamady Sidibe and Ricardo Fuller won't feature, but Danny Higginbotham could be included in the squad after continuing his rehabilitation back from a long term injury.

Shotton/Pennant-Delap-Whelan-Etherington.

Would be expecting us to control the midfield if they set out like that. Cabaye and Tiote should have no problem against there central midfield pairing although I'd like to see Raylor and Santon as full backs as Pennant and Etherington have got pace to burn and unfortunately would tare Simpson apart imo.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We won't control the midfield as they'll close very quickly. We don't do well in those kind of situations.

There home record is two wins two draws four goals scored one conceded.

Our away record is two wins two draw four goals score two conceded.

Bore draw.

:thup:

Bloody awful place to go to and really don't fancy us to get anything. Anything has to ge better than last year's showing but as has been pointed out, our line up that day was woeful.

I'll be chuffed with a point which will set up a hard-to-call game v Everton.

The game last season was woeful. Like the equally abhorrent Everton game we toyed with five at the back, an experiment that backfired quite badly. Like some have said Harper had a shocker, the Higginbotham freekick being the highlight, it can't of been any more than a couple of feet from him.

The thing is we know what we're going to get, dealing with it is easier said than done. Especially with Simpson and Taylor in the back four. As Pardew has said we need to focus on our own game, try and keep as much possession as possible and really impose ourselves on the game. If we surrender the ball easily and insist on a long ball tactics we'll play into their hands and put ourselves under all kinds of pressure.

I'd snap your hand off for a point, I'll go with a 2-1 defeat.

Guest johnson293

I hate this lot as much as any side in the league.

Pulis was clearly created from the spawn of  a very young Allardyce. I'd love it if we did them in a horrible 1-0.

Agree.

Might have already been mentioned, but on the highlights on Wednesday night, their pitch almost had two sets of white lines on it, where they had shortended to length/width of the pitch.

I know they do this to their own advantage, but it shouldn't be allowed, especially if they are adjusting it match-to-match.

I hate this lot as much as any side in the league.

Pulis was clearly created from the spawn of  a very young Allardyce. I'd love it if we did them in a horrible 1-0.

Agree.

Might have already been mentioned, but on the highlights on Wednesday night, their pitch almost had two sets of white lines on it, where they had shortended to length/width of the pitch.

I know they do this to their own advantage, but it shouldn't be allowed, especially if they are adjusting it match-to-match.

think thats for Europe, UEFA require a bigger pitch than Stoke use in the league