Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

Theyve had Chelsea, Liverpool & Man utd & not been beaten there yet this season though theyve had a bit of luck like us. So a draw would be a solid result.

We're capable of winning though ofcourse, all games are individual just depends how it plays out.

I said theyve had a bit of luck to help them like we have, not that the results were purely luck based. The majority of it is resolute defending at home & the opposition not taking the few chances when they get them.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

my optimistic prediction tells me 1-2 to us but realisticly it'll be a stoke win or a draw and if my pessmism has anythin to say then 3-0 to stoke.

Starting to like it when Lawro predicts we'll lose, he's so often wrong.

Stoke v Newcastle (2000 BST)

Stoke have been playing well enough but they have only won one Premier League game since the start of September and they need to change that as quickly as possible, especially because they are back in the Europa League next week and they have struggled immediately after playing in that competition.

As good as Newcastle have been defensively this season, this is a completely different and thorough test of their capabilities at the back and one that I don't think they are going to pass.

It has been a great start to the season for the Magpies, who have done really, really well, but I think it will end here. I don't think Alan Pardew's side will just fall away after this, though. There is a bit of resistance in that team and they are made of sterner stuff than that.

Prediction: 2-0

Interesting stat in the paper - 6 out of Stoke's 7 league goals have come from headers. We can't afford to be weak in that area, so I'm sure Pardew will stick with his usual starting line-up.

It's a tough game, but this team consistently does that bit better than expected, and won't be bullied.

They flatter to decieve man. provided we use quick passing and pace that we now have and lacked previously and don't match their long ball game then we'll be fine. They're a decent spoiler team. Nothing to be crapping ourselves about though.

We've hardly used a passing game all season, we may have the players to do it but we've hardly changed our style yet.

Our squad are surely capable of it though and as so far it has emerged from being the lump it up to caroll/ameobi and hope the scraps pay off. We're only just getting an idea of our solid starting eleven with the likes of ben arfa and santon yet to establish wha they have aside from potential; though that to me is a lot more positive than the style of play that won't work against sides like Stoke. I just don't think we should worry about the hype (albeit a degree of it having some foundation) that surrounds Stoke being so hard to beat.

I agree with you that we've got the potential to do it, I just don't think we're quite there yet and we've only seen spells of decent play so far.  I hope we try to play some football against Stoke but I still think we should be delighted to come away with a point.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Interesting stat in the paper - 6 out of Stoke's 7 league goals have come from headers. We can't afford to be weak in that area, so I'm sure Pardew will stick with his usual starting line-up.

It's a tough game, but this team consistently does that bit better than expected, and won't be bullied.

If United go into this game with any doubts at the back we will get steamrollered, I hope Taylor is 100% 

Steamrollered? They're not that fucking good ffs. :lol:

Neither are we of course, and I'm predicting a defeat anyway due to our rubbish record against them and their style of play, but some are making out Stoke City are miles better than we are which isn't the case at all. Two mid-table teams, could go either way.

Obviously I hope our best players are fit btw.

Hopefully Krul can continue his high standards this season when coming off his line and collecting crosses in the air.