Stoke City 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 31/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 52

Dave

Guest Haris Vuckic

Just watched it again and have to say it was a truly magnificent team performance.

The way we hounded them when not in possession was brilliant and I love the fact Pardew is so involved in the game.

I will gorge on some humble pie and say Jonas was indeed class in the position he was asked to play. I would still prefer attacks down the left but I guess he was given a job last night and did it superbly.

Happy days.

Whenever we've come across strong wingers down the right Jonas has backed up Ryan Taylor - against lesser teams he can get a few runs off as well - why has it taken you this long to figure out?

Stoke always go down the wings to hunt for set pieces and Pennant versus a Taylor with no support would be suicide.

Couldn't you figure this out, were you pissed or something?

Guest Haris Vuckic

He was on the wind up last night and now he's trying to re-ingratiate himself with the crowd so he can do it again next week.

What a mong.

Just watched it again and have to say it was a truly magnificent team performance.

The way we hounded them when not in possession was brilliant and I love the fact Pardew is so involved in the game.

I will gorge on some humble pie and say Jonas was indeed class in the position he was asked to play. I would still prefer attacks down the left but I guess he was given a job last night and did it superbly.

Happy days.

Whenever we've come across strong wingers down the right Jonas has backed up Ryan Taylor - against lesser teams he can get a few runs off as well - why has it taken you this long to figure out?

Stoke always go down the wings to hunt for set pieces and Pennant versus a Taylor with no support would be suicide.

Couldn't you figure this out, were you pissed or something?

First of all he was obviously asked to a job last night and did it well.

Moving on, there's a balance to be drawn between providing cover and still posing a threat.

We are not asking Obertan to forgo attack to defend so why Jonas. The obvious answer is Taylors out of position. If so and we dont trust Taylor to defend, there is an argument to be had for dropping him and getting Santon in so that Jonas can go back to attacking.

Of course this is all immaterial whilst its working however it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

It just goes against the grain for me to have the winger so tied into defence and not attacking hence my frustration with him last night (and yes after many beers).

You could take another view and say having Marveaux racing down the left and attacking would have them worrying about us rather than the other way around.

Lots of opinions and different ways of doing it however as mentioned its working so far and Im sure Pardew will quickly intervene if it stops working.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think last night it may have been particularly frustrating - as Stoke like to run it down the line - Pennant doesn't give a fuck if he's double marked - because he can play for the throw in like he's told. The amount of throw ins they had from about 25 yards up the line in the first half was horrible.

We haven't seen enough of Marveaux - he did look decent - but at what cost if he didn't afford Taylor the appropriate protection - as stated before - against beastly wingers he needs it.

At the moment there's little or no argument for dropping Taylor, he went tooth and nail last night - exactly as required against Stoke and Jonas was probably the bloke he wanted next to him in the trench.

A lot of last nights game wasn't about blistering runs down the wing - it was quite a defensive long ball operation - Jonas can't be in two places at once.

shift manager at work tonight is a Stoke fan, was talking to him about the game.  He said we were better than them in every department and was extremely impressed by our back 5.  Said if he were Pulis he'd take Guthrie off us and have him straight in their midfield!

He also said last night opened his eyes that they're not going to go anywhere and have just signed 'proven' Premier League cloggers (Upson, Jones, Crouch, Woodgate) probably on high wages.  Said Pulis should have dumped Delap at the end of last season and changed the style of the team as he's a terrible footballer so unless there's a throw in to be taken, they're effectively playing with 10 men.

Guest Haris Vuckic

If you took Stoke's bullying tactics away - like we did - they wouldn't be in this division very long.

We just relegated Stoke  :cheesy:

The most worrying thing about Stoke and Pulis is the fact he's actively attempting to keep the same style. He's had a fair fucking whack to spend over the last few years and he has just added to the throwing cloggers. Fucking grooming a throw in taker to replace Delap ffs :lol:

The most worrying thing about Stoke and Pulis is the fact he's actively attempting to keep the same style. He's had a fair f***ing whack to spend over the last few years and he has just added to the throwing cloggers. f***ing grooming a throw in taker to replace Delap ffs :lol:

'cos he's a fucking shit manager with no alternative.  If the scenario came around where he was not in a job, and a mid to lower PL team were without a manager, I honestly don't think he'd be shortlisted.

Cannot blame Pulis like, he's a shit manager doing things his way, and so far has managed to keep his job and Stoke as a mid-table side. Even with the money they've spent, that certainly wouldn't be garenteed under a differant manager.

I do hope other sides watch what we did on Monday though and replicate it at the Britania, double up on the wingers and exploit there appauling 'fullbacks', time waste on throw ins and just generaly wind up Pulis and the crowd. Was lush tbh.

The most worrying thing about Stoke and Pulis is the fact he's actively attempting to keep the same style. He's had a fair f***ing whack to spend over the last few years and he has just added to the throwing cloggers. f***ing grooming a throw in taker to replace Delap ffs :lol:

'cos he's a fucking shit manager with no alternative.  If the scenario came around where he was not in a job, and a mid to lower PL team were without a manager, I honestly don't think he'd be shortlisted.

No way anyone would seriously look at him like, not even relegation fodder. Fat Sam would even be within his right to critisise his playing ethics and squad selections.

Fans getting excited when the ball goes out for a throw in (and scoring most of their goals from such a position); Rory f***ing Delap still starting a PL game despite being such a limited footballer; s*** tactics from that prick Pulis.

What a great advert to football Stoke are. :facepalm:

i couldn't believe how irate he was getting about us on throw ins. In what fucking world did he have any grounds to complain.

I was also laughing at the end about the fact delap was actually costing them time with all this throw ins and making it easy for us to see out the game.

i couldn't believe how irate he was getting about us on throw ins. In what fucking world did he have any grounds to complain.

I was also laughing at the end about the fact delap was actually costing them time with all this throw ins and making it easy for us to see out the game.

i swear the 4th official and the ref could barley contain thier composure when he was crying to them about the towling  :lol: :lol:

'but, but they are drying the ball :'('

' so? you do it you fool' :smug:

i couldn't believe how irate he was getting about us on throw ins. In what f***ing world did he have any grounds to complain.

any idea where I can see a video of this i.e. our players using the towel and Pulis going all ape shit? would be mint!

Guest johnson293

i couldn't believe how irate he was getting about us on throw ins. In what f***ing world did he have any grounds to complain.

any idea where I can see a video of this i.e. our players using the towel and Pulis going all ape shit? would be mint!

I didn't see him go mad about our using the towels, but remember an incident late on when we got a throw in, and one of our players picked it up, then dropped it to leave for another player to take (who was a few yards away), and Pulis was ranting about the time-wasting.

Did see Danny Simpson give a little wink to Stoke fans (who were obviously giving him stick) when he was using the towel to dry the ball, before a throw in.

much is being made of getting the tactics spot on here which is doing the players a bit of a disservice. getting the tactics right is one thing but carrying them out is another. the tactics didn't seem like anything earth shattering so i have to wonder how many clubs have set out at the britannia with similar tactics and been unable to carry them through. also the tactics as described (doubling up on their wingers etc) don't really account for us scoring three times.

much is being made of getting the tactics spot on here which is doing the players a bit of a disservice. getting the tactics right is one thing but carrying them out is another. the tactics didn't seem like anything earth shattering so i have to wonder how many clubs have set out at the britannia with similar tactics and been unable to carry them through. also the tactics as described (doubling up on their wingers etc) don't really account for us scoring three times.

How is it doing the players a disservice? They all played brilliantly, everyone admits that. Just the gameplan also deserves credit.

How is it doing the players a disservice? They all played brilliantly, everyone admits that. Just the gameplan also deserves credit.

just hearing fans from elsewhere talking, newcastle will still struggle but just happened on this occasion to get the right tactics and apparently now stoke have been sussed.

just hearing fans from elsewhere talking, newcastle will still struggle but just happened on this occasion to get the right tactics and apparently now stoke have been sussed.

found that hilarious :lol:

the meltdown on oatcake on monday night was fantastic