Newcastle United vs Everton - 05/11/11 @ 12:45pm - live on Sky

Anderson

From the one and only Mark Lawrenson:

Newcastle just keep on going, and they passed a real test of their aerial defensive capabilities by beating Stoke on Monday. I was really impressed by how hard their midfield worked too, let alone their defenders.

But the Magpies' great start to the season has just built up the pressure. They will be expected to beat Everton but cast your mind back to when they played Wigan at St James' Park on 22 October. Everyone expected them to run the Latics over, but in the end Roberto Martinez's side were unlucky not to get a point.

The Toffees have not had great results of late but have played better than a run of five defeats in six games suggests, and I am backing them to sneak a win here because I think the big problem for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is stopping his team from thinking they just need to turn up to get the three points.

Football has a nasty habit of biting you on the backside just when you think you have cracked it, so Pardew and his players have to be careful. But, even if they are beaten on Saturday, it has been an exceptional start to the season and they are in a fantastic position ahead of their games with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea later this month.

Prediction: 1-2

Interesting that he seems to find a new reason that will get us beat every week again and again.

Guest Heneage

So we when we face a side in form they could beat us. When we face a side in poor form then they're likely to spring a surprise.

If we get beat, some mongs will boo. That's an inevitability. Not enough for it to be a big 'thing', though.

I don't think we'll lose though; i think a draw is the most likely outcome. I'm not a fan of Obertan and i've been hoping that he would get dropped for a few weeks now, but there's no doubt his presence has influenced our style of play. Alright, it's only down the wing and you could argue that losing Cheick for Monday was a bigger dent to our footballing methodology. However, whoever comes in for Gabby will be a square peg in a round hole, whether it's Marveaux, Jonas, Hatem or Gosling. Guthrie, on the other hand, slotted into centre-mid against Stoke with no problem. The switch in style, regardless of who replaces him, could see us stutter whilst we re-adjust - particularly in the first half.

What's lucky is that it's not Friday, and Pardew will have had at least a couple days to help the lads accommodate. However, i wouldn't be surprised to see us go behind and claw it back. Think i'm gonna put a couple quid on Everton winning at HT, FT draw. I wouldn't be unhappy with that, either. Four points this week, as a prelude to the monster fixtures, would be super duper. Six would be immense.

----------------------------------- Krul -----------------------------------

Simpson ------------ Taylor ---------- Coloccini ------------- Taylor

Ben Arfa ------------- Tiote ---------- Cabaye --------------- Jonas

------------------------- Best ---------- Ba ------------------------------

I can't see it being that, but that's what i would go with. I can see why people would rather have Jonas and Marveaux on the wings; you wouldn't expect Ben Arfa to be the sort of player to track back and deal with the threat of Baines... but we're at home and they have little that really frighten me. Baines and Coleman (if he plays down the right) can run at players and frighten our full-backs.

If it's Marveaux and Jonas though, inter-changing a bit, i would have no complaints.

1-1.

Newcastle just keep on going, and they passed a real test of their aerial defensive capabilities by beating Stoke on Monday. I was really impressed by how hard their midfield worked too, let alone their defenders.

But the Magpies' great start to the season has just built up the pressure. They will be expected to beat Everton but cast your mind back to when they played Wigan at St James' Park on 22 October. Everyone expected them to run the Latics over, but in the end Roberto Martinez's side were unlucky not to get a point.

The Toffees have not had great results of late but have played better than a run of five defeats in six games suggests, and I am backing them to sneak a win here because I think the big problem for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is stopping his team from thinking they just need to turn up to get the three points.

Football has a nasty habit of biting you on the backside just when you think you have cracked it, so Pardew and his players have to be careful. But, even if they are beaten on Saturday, it has been an exceptional start to the season and they are in a fantastic position ahead of their games with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea later this month.

Interesting that he seems to find a new reason that will get us beat every week again and again.

He obviously think Obertan's injury is a big loss for us. :lol:

I was genuinely relieved to find that he was predicting another loss. Confident we'll do them now.  3-0

He obviously think Obertan's injury is a big loss for us. :lol:

I was genuinely relieved to find that he was predicting another loss. Confident we'll do them now.  3-0

Yeah I feel the same, can't wait to hear Lawro's explanation of our win on MOTD.

I think we did this against Wigan, so hopefully lesson learned.

Lawrenson is just a bitter mong, and like David has said he will find a new excuse for us to get beat.

I actually think this will be a draw, but obviously hoping for a win.

Guest VaVaVoom

Think we will see...

---Krul---

Simspon---Saylor---Coloccini---Raylor

Marveaux---Cabaye---Tiote/Guthrie---Jonas

Ba---Best

Ben Arfa on in second half for either of the front two and Santon on for either fullback.

3-0 Ba, Best and Ben Arfa

I love that Lawrenson prediction. It's like trying to hit a really classy move in a computer game, so you keep trying it long after the moment has gone and when it's devoid of all coolness - he's trying to do that with our first loss - and my fucking word he'll look for it anywhere!

Edit: Either that or he's desperately rationalising to try and reconcile reality with how high Liverpool "should" be compared to Newcastle :laugh:

I agree with the Everton one that with more men in midfield they can get some joy against us, Wigan did a similar thing against us that nearly paid off, and they have worse players arguably. Need to be prepared for this and hope Pardew has learned from the Wigan game. We can play a good counter game but we can't afford to let them press too high and keep possession, Saha is a better finisher than anyone at Wigan.

Think he's going to go:

Krul

simpson Taylor colo Raylor

Jonas Cab Tiote Marv

HBA

Ba

on the basis that he has enough cred to go for it - Santon a sub for simo if it goes wrong

I know we're third but that's taking 'giving them a chance' a bit far.

Think he's going to go:

Krul

simpson Taylor colo Raylor

Jonas Cab Tiote Marv

HBA

Ba

on the basis that he has enough cred to go for it - Santon a sub for simo if it goes wrong

I know we're third but that's taking 'giving them a chance' a bit far.

;D ;D ;D

face it though this is Krul's normal positioning

goal

Krul

Simpson    Saylor    Colo  Raylor

Etc

I see no reason why Jonas will be switched wings like. I know Marveaux is a left-footer, but Taylor needs Jonas there in front of him and it's working very well - proved conclusively in the last match.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He definitely won't, like. Marveaux has started his cup and reserve games out wide on the right. Looking forward to getting a good look at him in action.