Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

What do we reckon, a second half of Everton bombarding our goal until they get an equaliser?

A 2nd half where we need to get Best and Ba involved more than by long ball. The pass is passing our midfielders by, get Marv and Jonas running behind their fullbacks. Backed off after our 2nd goal and when Cabaye went off. Not very good, need to improve on those last 10minutes.

Great close marking Simpson, typical, just before ht.

Wouldn't blame him though, fact is that Rodwell is like three heads taller than him. Something was wrong with the whole teams marking.

Well, does he have to give him 10000 yards of space because he's 100 yards tall? NO!

Interesting.

What do you make of the first half?

Very even. I don't think we deserve to be behind really, but then idiotic defending from Heitinga was hardly unpredictable as I said.

That and a wonder goal have been the only 2 real incidents at our end, and we've been punished both times. We've had quite a few situations (mainly around the middle of the half) but displayed our brand not shit finishing. Doubt we'll not concede again but I'd have to fancy our chances of getting something with Cabaye out.

Everton played well , we are lucky to be one goal ahead.

WHAT?!

It's not too far off, tbh. It was bad enough without Tiote, but losing Cabaye as well is trouble. Guthrie has been great, though.

Guest kingdawson

Interesting.

You play some good stuff at times but you rarely look like you're gonna score (more to do with luck not being with you i guess). Drenthe looks good though.

WHAT?!

What's to argue about? You can't tell me you were better than us that half. It's been as even a half of football as I can remember this season.

They have been coming right through the centre of our midfield all match.

Guthrie has been good on the ball, but Cabaye was very poor (understandable given the injury), Marveaux doesn't show himself as much as Obertan, and Jonas has been off the pace.

Basically we are winning because of a bit of luck and a split second moment of inspiration.

Ba seems to be struggling. I don't think he'll last more than an hour.

But anyway, on the bright side, we deserve to be ahead.

And what's happened to the miserable softie that was Guthrie? He's been superb again.

not been great tbh. started off pressuring all over the place and putting in early crosses and had some success with it, but we never established a grip on possession. everton outnumbered us in the middle and our full-backs got beaten too easily two or three times. Drenthe in particular is dangerous for them.

for the last 25 mins theyve been attacking way more and we've hit it long too many times. Best has done really well with the long balls, looks strong and sure in the touch but Ba looks like he's fasting for Ramadan again - must be carrying an injury what with the fitness test beforehand, sloppy and sluggish throughout. makes sense to bring him off when we can and get HBA on.

gutted Cabaye's gone off - going to be a difficult second hand coming our way i fear. Gosling doesnt inspire confidence but i am encouraged by Guthrie's performance.

WHAT?!

What's to argue about? You can't tell me you were better than us that half. It's been as even a half of football as I can remember this season.

Alright then.