Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

This is the "test" couple of players struggling, Cabaye off. Hold our nerve here and it bodes well gives those that have come in like Guthrie, Marv and Gosling a big boost in confidence.

Great close marking Simpson, typical, just before ht.

Wouldn't blame him though, fact is that Rodwell is like three heads taller than him. Something was wrong with the whole teams marking.

Well, does he have to give him 10000 yards of space because he's 100 yards tall? NO!

True just re-watched it. Made a mistake, but still felt it was a bad marking all around. Weird to put Danny on Rodwell. Where was Best and Ba?

I might be his biggest fan on here, but think Jonas was poor first half. Very difficult second forty-five coming up. A few tired looking legs out there.

Will take a lot of graft to see this out, and the international break is (for once) welcomed!

They have been coming right through the centre of our midfield all match.

Guthrie has been good on the ball, but Cabaye was very poor (understandable given the injury), Marveaux doesn't show himself as much as Obertan, and Jonas has been off the pace.

Basically we are winning because of a bit of luck and a split second moment of inspiration.

:thup:

I should point out I don't think we've been brilliant - not by any stretch of the imagination. We could easily concede a couple more.

We need to get Ben Arfa on sharpish in the second half.

He'll get a lot of time on the ball and get us possession, we're gonna get over run in midfield otherwise.

Guess he'll come on soon for Ba, as he was struggling before kick off, apparently.

I might be his biggest fan on here, but think Jonas was poor first half. Very difficult second forty-five coming up. A few tired looking legs out there.

Will take a lot of graft to see this out, and the international break is (for once) welcomed!

He was, he was garbage. Defensively and offensively. He needs to improve cos we need him now.

Everton played well , we are lucky to be one goal ahead.

WHAT?!

What's to argue about? You can't tell me you were better than us that half. It's been as even a half of football as I can remember this season.

I'd say we have been slightly on top. 2-1 is probably a fair reflection.

It wasn't Simpson's mistake on the goal ffs. What was he supposed to do? Could probably do with having another player marking Rodwell. And perhaps put a man on the first post. If a man was on the first post the goal would probably have been avoided.

Open your eyes FFS!

It wasn't Simpson's mistake on the goal ffs. What was he supposed to do? Could probably do with having another player marking Rodwell. And perhaps put a man on the first post. If a man was on the first post the goal would probably have been avoided.

Uh, he was supposed to pay attention and mark him.

They have been coming right through the centre of our midfield all match.

Guthrie has been good on the ball, but Cabaye was very poor (understandable given the injury), Marveaux doesn't show himself as much as Obertan, and Jonas has been off the pace.

Basically we are winning because of a bit of luck and a split second moment of inspiration.

Cabaye poor? It must be me, but felt we won every ball in midfield. Thought they got the better when cutting inside from the flanks rather then through the middle.

Very much so on both counts.  Jonas was shocking in the first half and I too am a fan - he's been sluggish in tracking back and offered nothing in the final third.

Everyone does look very tired. 

And Steven Taylor has shown a glimpse or two of the Geordie Superhero defending that has cost us in the past...

I'll repeat - bring Ben Arfa on for Ba and play him in the hole behind Best.