Man Utd 1 - 1 Newcastle Utd - 26/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Beren

Guest firetotheworks

Listening to 606 podcast, a few people were talking about the Evra handball. Those who saw it, was it a decent shout for a pen? Don't think they showed it on MOTD.

Nah, not a chance. It was more his shoulder and his hands were by his sides.

Ryan Taylors was a stonewaller from 3 yards and he couldn't possibly get his hands out the way...

I don't think Raylor's was a penalty TBH, I hate to see those given. There's no rule that says you have to keep your hands glued to your sides. If your arm is out and the ball is kicked off it IMO it's still ball-to-hand.

Guest firetotheworks

Ryan Taylors was a stonewaller from 3 yards and he couldn't possibly get his hands out the way...

Aye, but his hands weren't by his sides and it actually hit his hands. Chalk and cheese.

I don't think Raylor's was a penalty TBH, I hate to see those given. There's no rule that says you have to keep your hands glued to your sides. If your arm is out and the ball is kicked off it IMO it's still ball-to-hand.

The issue is with whether the handball changed the direction of the ball or not. In Taylor's case it definitely did. Not in Evra's though as his arm was tucked in.

The issue is with whether the handball changed the direction of the ball or not. In Taylor's case it definitely did. Not in Evra's though as his arm was tucked in.

That isn't the issue though, the issue is supposed to be whether the player deliberately handballed it. In Raylor's case, and a lot of other penalties you see given, there's no way it was deliberate IMO.

That isn't the issue though, the issue is supposed to be whether the player deliberately handballed it. In Raylor's case, and a lot of other penalties you see given, there's no way it was deliberate IMO.

Raylor's hand was not in natural position

Well that's arguable, a "natural position" for a sportsman isn't to have his arms stuck rigidly to his sides.

Well that's arguable, a "natural position" for a sportsman isn't to have his arms stuck rigidly to his sides.

but definitely not the way he spread his arm across the goal imo

I'm not saying people who actively save the ball with their hands should get away with it, obviously people who put their arms out to block the ball would fall under the definition of "deliberate".

But deliberate can't be based on whether the arm is 30 degrees or 60 degrees from the body.

Not that i think that Evra or Fabio were WOW, but i wish we had two quality fullbacks bombing forward and support our midfield and attack with runs down the flanks, would improve us as a team massively. With Santon hopefully coming in to the picture asap and a new LB in Januari (fingers crossed) im sure it would improve us massively and set us up nicely for the rest of the season. No matter how well they've done in some games for us (defending wise) they just shouldn't be long term for us. By saying that im not forgetting raylors goals.

Not that i think that Evra or Fabio were WOW, but i wish we had two quality fullbacks bombing forward and support our midfield and attack with runs down the flanks, would improve us as a team massively. With Santon hopefully coming in to the picture asap and a new LB in Januari (fingers crossed) im sure it would improve us massively and set us up nicely for the rest of the season. No matter how well they've done in some games for us (defending wise) they just shouldn't be long term for us. By saying that im not forgetting raylors goals.

our full backs do get forward (see taylors goal and simpson forcing evertons own goal) particularly at home but they aren't the classic overlapping full backs

our full backs do get forward (see taylors goal and simpson forcing evertons own goal) particularly at home but they aren't the classic overlapping full backs

I agree that they do, but not often enough and they aren't exactly dynamic/composed bombing down the flanks. I guess that's because of their limited ability which forces them to concentrate on defending more. Not that i think either of them are good enough defensively anyway, but to be fair Simpson has done better lately.

I just think that we could be so much better with good fullbacks, would improve us massively as a team, not saying it's rocket science.

Listening to 606 podcast, a few people were talking about the Evra handball. Those who saw it, was it a decent shout for a pen? Don't think they showed it on MOTD.

Nah, personally thought it wasn't a penalty. I saw it as a ball-to-hand situation.

Just watched the first half again.

That piece of skill sewelly is on about from Obertan is fantastic. Dare I say the Ben Arfa thread would have melted had he carried it out  :razz:

However I cant make my mind up on Obertan. He obviously has skill and some of his set up crosses and passes around the box were very good. I also like the way he has a football brain and sometimes sees the better option is to cut through the middle rather than just whipping down the wing, but he just seems so uninterested when we dont have possession.

Its not a major thing but it does frustrate me.

Its so obvious but if we can get the same threat down the left we will murder someone shortly. Not trying to be anti Jonas because he does graft, but the lack of left wing threat seems the missing piece for me.

Just having a read on redcafe again, some dude claiming we never had a shot in the entire match. When they broadcast the game in singapore and brisbane do they cut to commercials everytime the opposition cross the halfway line?

Just having a read on redcafe again, some dude claiming we never had a shot in the entire match. When they broadcast the game in singapore and brisbane do they cut to commercials everytime the opposition cross the halfway line?

You'd think so, given that all the nondescript Asians on my FB were celebrating a 3-0 win. ???