Man Utd 1 - 1 Newcastle Utd - 26/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Beren

Fergie talking about us like that, trying to upset the apple cart means 1 thing. He sees us as a threat. Its a good thing.

this...he wouldn't have said out like that if we weren't behind them.  Don't get me wrong I still don't believe we'll be up there come the end of the season, but it must be playing on his mind

Messiah...haven't heard that one for a while

or the clever old conniving bastard will know we will assume that, - Think we are a threat, weve made it, become complacent, or maybe not, or,.....oh fuck Fergie has messed my mind  :frantic:

It's the Man u fans that get to me. Waiting for the train in Newcastle Saturday morning, there was actually one or two people on the platform with Man U gear on, going away to cheer on some team from another city against the team from the city of their belonging. Then, waiting in the queue for a tram into Manchester city centre post match, we were surrounded by Irish, Scottish, Scandinavian etc so called Man U fans.

Don't get me wrong, NUFC have fans worldwide, but the difference is that those fans don't follow the club because of it's success. 

So all Manchester United fans are from Manchester or else glory-hunters?

I just think that a lot Man U fans living outside the Manchester area have no connection with the club whatsoever, and attach themselves to Man U purely because of their success and status. Not all, mind you, which makes it hard for those who do have a connection with the club and city.

As for you liking the red strip, funny that of all the teams that play in red, you chose one who happen to be one of the worlds best.

Here's an example of Man U "fans". Where i work there are about 10 people who claim to support Man U, they wear all the gear and spout off continually, yet not one of them could advise me on how to get to Old Trafford from Piccadilly on a match day. The reason being that they simply haven't been. 

Guest Haris Vuckic
As for you liking the red strip, funny that of all the teams that play in red, you chose one who happen to be one of the worlds best

I can't think of a better team that play in plain red tbh!  ;D

It's the Man u fans that get to me. Waiting for the train in Newcastle Saturday morning, there was actually one or two people on the platform with Man U gear on, going away to cheer on some team from another city against the team from the city of their belonging. Then, waiting in the queue for a tram into Manchester city centre post match, we were surrounded by Irish, Scottish, Scandinavian etc so called Man U fans.

Don't get me wrong, NUFC have fans worldwide, but the difference is that those fans don't follow the club because of it's success. 

I just think that a lot Man U fans living outside the Manchester area have no connection with the club whatsoever, and attach themselves to Man U purely because of their success and status. Not all, mind you, which makes it hard for those who do have a connection with the club and city.

As for you liking the red strip, funny that of all the teams that play in red, you chose one who happen to be one of the worlds best.

Here's an example of Man U "fans". Where i work there are about 10 people who claim to support Man U, they wear all the gear and spout off continually, yet not one of them could advise me on how to get to Old Trafford from Piccadilly on a match day. The reason being that they simply haven't been. 

it totally baffles me and often the reasons some come up with for choosing their teams to support are cringeworthy. i support newcastle because it's my place of birth, home and I love the place. if theres a competition between my house and next door i want my house to win, if the comp is between my street and the next street, i want my street to win. if it's between my post code and another i want my post code to win, not to do so seems perverse.

however i know people who have been brought up to support other clubs and that is very understandable as once you have a team then thats it usually. i have a mate who's as plastic a scouser as can be but he's brought his kids up to support them and i can understand their supporting liverpool but not his.

be ineteresting to find out why the attachments to clubs in other countries, for example i support pittsburgh in the NFL, (my uncle told me the people of pittsburgh were closest in personality to those of newcastle) and even though i don't really watch or take much notice, want the penguins and pirates to win aswell.

"Fans are hard to please, especially on Tyneside.

"The local media have created an expectancy hard to match in reality."

"I have long believed some journalists in the North-East have assumed a bigger role than is normal to rest of country."

"They have exerted too much influence without being responsible of the consequences - except to heap more criticism on club and the manager."

"Alan had a lot to prove when he was given the job last December.

"Everyone is now hailing him up there as the new Messiah - even if they didn't say so at the time of his appointment."

just as our good form has caused the melted wellie to gradually break down, I think the same can be said of Man City and Taggart.  I expect more irate drivel to come from his mouth throughout the rest of the season.

My Mum was watching the football on the TV and we were playing and I pointed at the TV and apparently took a liking to the red team, and we were nowhere near the Worlds best at the time. In fact, by the time I had my first kit, we hadn't won the league in twenty five years.

That aside I know where you're coming from. I have a mate who is a fan and until recently, didn't know who Bobby Charlton was. You can ask Decky about some of the people we know as well. We played Wolves last season and won 2-1, with Park scoring twice including a late winner. About a half hour after the game we had a nosy on Facebook to look at football group we were in, and there were Man Utd fans saying Park isn't good enough and has to be sold. :lol:

-----------

My Mum was watching the football on the TV and we were playing and I pointed at the TV and apparently took a liking to the red team, and we were nowhere near the Worlds best at the time. In fact, by the time I had my first kit, we hadn't won the league in twenty five years.

That aside I know where you're coming from. I have a mate who is a fan and until recently, didn't know who Bobby Charlton was. You can ask Decky about some of the people we know as well. We played Wolves last season and won 2-1, with Park scoring twice including a late winner. About a half hour after the game we had a nosy on Facebook to look at football group we were in, and there were Man Utd fans saying Park isn't good enough and has to be sold. :lol:

-----------

You were 4 years old when Manchester United won the Premier League in 1993 ffs.

-----------

All of these people you speak of must die.

I think that argument is stupid to be honest though. Had I been a Newcastle United fan from the location, and there are plenty, that would have been OK just because they hadn't won the league? It's ridiculous.

It depends upon what you think supporters, or indeed football teams full-stop, are all about. Personally, I like to think that a football team represents its locality, or family/tribal connections - but I would say that, as I used to walk to Spurs with my Dad. What was your local team where you grew up? Why didn't you support them? (Genuine questions).

If you believe that a team is supposed to represent their locality/family/tribe, then anyone born there or with a connection is naturally going to resent anyone else there who chooses some other team. That resentment is going to be increased if they perceive them as having chosen another team because they were successful. My mate at school supported West Ham for random reasons, but I didn't hate him for it at all. I had several Liverpool-supporting North Londoners to hate instead.

If you believe that you can choose to support anyone you want, and the location doesn't matter, then yeah, it's ridiculous. I don't think along those lines, although I recognize that that's pissing against the wind.

And at the same time we judge clubs for how many fans they have and criticise them for having empty seats, when it's mainly either an accident of geography or because they're successful or not.

Absolutely. Both arguments generally boil down to who is the better fan, or who is the better club - neither of which ultimately mean anything. When I lived in Falkirk, I went to watch Falkirk and East Stirling more than any other club. When I lived in Kidlington, I went to watch Kidlington. I love that clubs are rooted in their communities, but if we want to compete at the top level we have to accept that will be diluted. I think we maintain that paradox in our head - for example, I pour scorn on Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal fans out here (U.S.A.) yet think any local Spurs fans are amazing.

It depends upon what you think supporters, or indeed football teams full-stop, are all about. Personally, I like to think that a football team represents its locality, or family/tribal connections - but I would say that, as I used to walk to Spurs with my Dad.

Naive question, but how much unique support do lower league or conference teams have? Would a good proportion of the fans that go to watch, say, Brentford have no other affiliation, and be happy to watch their team playing league one or league two football forever? Even more so teams like Carlisle, where there's no obvious local 'big club' alternative?

Most people make the who-do-I-support decision when they're very young. I remember the son of a friend of mine, in the mid-90s when he was about eight, deciding to support Man U -- mainly, it seemed, to wind up his Toon-supporting father. This made me laugh, as his dad is the biggest wind-up merchant ever. And then we had to console the kid when someone actually beat Man U for the first time since he'd been paying attention. "Well, if you're going to support someone you have to deal with it when they lose as well as cheer when they win..."

It depends upon what you think supporters, or indeed football teams full-stop, are all about. Personally, I like to think that a football team represents its locality, or family/tribal connections - but I would say that, as I used to walk to Spurs with my Dad.

Naive question, but how much unique support do lower league or conference teams have? Would a good proportion of the fans that go to watch, say, Brentford have no other affiliation, and be happy to watch their team playing league one or league two football forever? Even more so teams like Carlisle, where there's no obvious local 'big club' alternative?

Not a naive question at all mate, I'd be interested to know too. I mainly grew up in London, where there are countless local teams, and Brentford would be a decent example. I'd expect most of their fans to be fully-fledged Brentford, with a reasonable number of fans of other London clubs (Chelsea, Arsenal, maybe even QPR) who go there regularly because they've been priced out. When I was a kid and Spurs were either not playing or away at a game we couldn't get to, we'd usually go see Orient or another London club.

There are incredibly intense followings of some very small teams here - and a huge number of small teams to boot. A look at the followers of Blyth or Gateshead would be interesting - I'd imagine a good number of their fans are Newcastle, yet there will be many who simply support Blyth or Gateshead. They might look out for Newcastle's results, in the same way I look out for Orient's, but if they play each other in the Cup, you know who they're rooting for.

My late uncle was a Gateshead season ticket holder, and he went every week for about 50 years. He definitely didn't consider himself a Newcastle fan first.

Not sure why I supported NUFC rather than Gateshead, I can't remember ever making a decision. I 'support' them both I suppose, but somehow the Premier League team was always the one I really followed.