Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

on another board there was a bit of a rumour that there was some tabloid scandal about to be published. Hope that's just speculation and not true, which is what I suspect.

Bound to be speculated unfortunately.

Incredible.

Sometimes more poignant than a minute's silence :(

Didn't think clapping was appropriate at all. Found it disrespectful. But that's just my view.

Maybe, but once the little group kept clapping, the rest of the stadium had no choice but to clap along, to remove the awkwardness

Personally don't see how a minute of applause and positive chanting is any less respectful than silence.

Yup. Each to their own I suppose. It's celebrating his life over mourning his death - both are respectful in themselves (at least from the point of view of those doing it)

Can't believe he committed suicide, not him, everything was so normal, in fact going so well for him. Some f***er must have did him in and disguised it as suicide!

Can happen. If it was depression, it can be incredibly difficult to talk about, and to spot.

I'm not a fan of the applause like, was only introduced because of some fuckwits who couldn't manage to be respectful for 60 seconds.

I'm of the opinion that they should probably have 30 seconds silence, followed by 30 seconds applause. Or even a minute of each, whatever. It allows people to reflect and summon happy memories of the deceased and then allows them to make those positive feelings heard.

I'm not a fan of the applause like, was only introduced because of some fuckwits who couldn't manage to be respectful for 60 seconds.

I'm of the opinion that they should probably have 30 seconds silence, followed by 30 seconds applause. Or even a minute of each, whatever. It allows people to reflect and summon happy memories of the deceased and then allows them to make those positive feelings heard.

Liverpool just did something similar which seemed to work, applause was first though.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Devastated by this, broke into tears when I read it.

Such a good bloke, such a good footballer,

I'm so saddened.

Not that it matters to others here, but I do feel that the thread title should just be "RIP Gary Speed 1968-2011" and no more. It's a tragedy whichever way he died. No need to have the "takes his own life" in there at all, in my humble opinion.

:(

The only explanation I can come up with is that someone/press had something on him. But.... ugghh. I dunno. Cant get my head round it.

Or he was just depressed. Very difficult to spot when someone's depressed, people are unlikely to openly admit they need help. I imagine he has been depressed for a while and something, possibly quite miniscule, happened last night that was just the final straw.

But yeah, difficult to imagine someone as mature and level-headed as him with so much going for him doing something like this.