Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

The Swansea v Villa game may well be called off, due to some Welsh players being in the Swansea side.

Apparently going ahead, but how on earth they'll be able to focus on this game I don't know.

James Collins of Villa apparently said he doesn't want to play

Really can't blame him. The match shouldn't go ahead.

It shouldn't. But it's live on Sky so it probably will.

Losing Sir Bobby was bad enough but losing one of the few people in football who come close to comparing against as a gentleman and so soon is just so tragic and hard to take.

Speed and always will be one of my favourites and an absolute legend.

RIP

The Swansea v Villa game may well be called off, due to some Welsh players being in the Swansea side.

Apparently going ahead, but how on earth they'll be able to focus on this game I don't know.

James Collins of Villa apparently said he doesn't want to play

Really can't blame him. The match shouldn't go ahead.

can't see how anyone could blame him if hes not up to playing

should not go ahead imho

Losing Sir Bobby was bad enough but losing one of the few people in football who come close to comparing against as a gentleman and so soon is just so tragic and hard to take.

Speed and always will be one of my favourites and an absolute legend.

RIP

Well said.

RIP. :( :( :( :( :(

He scored for us when I went to St. James' the first time.

Which game was that? Loved Speed's goals like, got some absolute belters in his time with us. Wonderful in the air.

Numb about this. :(

Agree 100% ,one of the best, not freakishly tall, players in the air I've seen in my 40 odd years of watching the game. O0

I came on here to talk about football, then saw this thread. Puts things into perspective now, and I've completely lost interest even thinking about football.

One of my absolute footballing heroes, and I'm simply astonished by this news. Gutted doesn't even begin to describe it :(

I can't believe it, I'm sat here with my mouth wide open, not knowing what to say. It's not often that a celebrity death affects me much, but this has actually upset me a lot, I'm really shocked. I watched him on the telly yesterday, when I turned on the computer just now and saw the story on the bbc I thought he must have been in a car crash on the way home or something, but if he has committed suicide that's even more incomprehensible. What a terribel thing to have happened. RIP.

SSN haven't said it's suicide and the police directly haven't said it was suicide, can we take away the suicide bit in the title until it is actually confirmed?

It is apparently just the major news outlets wont run it yet to give his family some space etc.

BBC News 24 are running with it and say his family have confirmed it.