Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

SSN haven't said it's suicide and the police directly haven't said it was suicide, can we take away the suicide bit in the title until it is actually confirmed?

It is apparently just the major news outlets wont run it yet to give his family some space etc.

BBC News 24 are running with it and say his family have confirmed it.

Really? Seems a bit soon, maybe family said it was ok now to say

I can't believe it, I'm sat here with my mouth wide open, not knowing what to say. It's not often that a celebrity death affects me much, but this has actually upset me a lot, I'm really shocked. I watched him on the telly yesterday, when I turned on the computer just now and saw the story on the bbc I thought he must have been in a car crash on the way home or something, but if he has committed suicide that's even more incomprehensible. What a terribel thing to have happened. RIP.

Same. Never usually affected by the deaths of people I've never met, but... this is something else.

Guest johnson293

Just been out in the car, and as I got in the news came on with this news.

Absolutely gutted, and was a genuine WTF moment when it was announced.

RIP, and thoughts go to his family. :(

Guest elbee909

I think the thing I find so hard to come to terms with is that he seemed to have it all; a handsome guy, a family, a distinguished career, intelligence, widely respected and universally liked. 

It's frightening to think that the distorted lens of depression can just filter all that out and convince someone that death is the best option to take.  Chilling.  He has the respite he must have wanted but it's so sad it could only come at this price.

equaliser against Dynamo Kiev, October 2002.

Scored a gorgeous goal against Birmingham under Robson at St Andrew's, let it run across his body and belted it in off the post from 25 yards.

I was there for that one. Belter