Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest johnson293

I still can't get my head around this. Gary Speed, Gary Speed dead, I mean it's just unbelievable.

That was my reaction too.

While older past Newcastle players have passed away, this is the first of 'my generation', if you like - someone I watched for years.

Only 4 years older than me, too.

I think the thing I find so hard to come to terms with is that he seemed to have it all; a handsome guy, a family, a distinguished career, intelligence, widely respected and universally liked. 

It's frightening to think that the distorted lens of depression can just filter all that out and convince someone that death is the best option to take.  Chilling.  He has the respite he must have wanted but it's so sad it could only come at this price.

Thing is at this time though it seems likely we dont really know if he intended to take his life, might have been a cry for help gone wrong or possibly could have even been a sex asphyxiation thing gone wrong. Several high profile people have died in this way.

Who knows what happened really at this time.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/382876_10150372888070870_699645869_8658437_2145117996_n.jpg

:'(

Ah  man. :(

I still can't get my head around this. Gary Speed, Gary Speed dead, I mean it's just unbelievable.

That was my reaction too.

While older past Newcastle players have passed away, this is the first of 'my generation', if you like - someone I watched for years.

Only 4 years older than me, too.

I guess he is my first generation of players as well.

Bobby was my first boss when I started to become a massive football fan but I knew that was coming even though it's still sad, Gary though is like Shearer, to think of him being dead is just not even something that comes across my mind.

I can only echo the sentiments of everybody else. This news has absolutely knocked me for six today, I'm absolutely gutted and I know my dad, who texted me to inform me, will be too. Speedo was a true professional and supremely talented, and will be sorely missed.

I'm very sure that he'll get an excellent tribute at the Chelsea game next week.

I know this is an NUFC forum, but a memory of Speed I have is at Goodison, watching everyone warm up. Must have only been about 7. Think he accidentally overhit a pass while warming up and it came over to near where we were. Didn't really hit anyone or cause any injury as such but Gary Speed took it upon himself to come over, apologise to the kids the ball had gone near to and had photos taken with them all. Just stood out as a true gentlemen. Really taken aback by this news.

How can the Swansea game go on. How can someone like Shay go out there and play knowing one of his best pals has just died.

Call it off man.

The Liverpool game too, Craig Bellamy for one must be absolutely devastated.

McLeish saying that Given was the first one to hear in his squad, got a call from Shearer.

Crazy when you think there are players playing today that were great friends of his and lined up alongside him

I know this is an NUFC forum, but a memory of Speed I have is at Goodison, watching everyone warm up. Must have only been about 7. Think he accidentally overhit a pass while warming up and it came over to near where we were. Didn't really hit anyone or cause any injury as such but Gary Speed took it upon himself to come over, apologise to the kids the ball had gone near to and had photos taken with them all. Just stood out as a true gentlemen. Really taken aback by this news.

:(

The Swansea game goes ahead.

Call it off, just call it off.

Doubt the fans making there way to the game would be happy with that like.

I'm pretty sure they would understand. Their players could very well be devastated, do they actually want them to go out and play in that state?, I wouldn't.