Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree in general that they are too negative under VdB considering the personnel but France were far, far more to blame for the spectacle today.

They played with 2 RBs on one side of the pitch, 3 midfielders who were sitting defensively and only Ribery/Benzema who were in the opposition half. They showed absolutely no ambition to try and win the game and made it easy for Spain.

The other thing I'd say about Spain. Without Puyol and Pique off form their CBs look a bit soft, and the fullback positions are equally dodgy (Alba is basically a winger and Arbeloa generally looks like he's not quite good enough for the company he's in).

They are not weak defensively by any means but it is slightly frail. By maximising the amount of possession they have, limiting the transitions of play, push the opposition back and press the ball immediately when they lose it they can limit the amount of times the defence is placed under genuine pressure. In a way it is playing to their strengths to cover their weaknesses.

The other thing I'd say about Spain. Without Puyol and Pique off form their CBs look a bit soft, and the fullback positions are equally dodgy (Alba is basically a winger and Arbeloa generally looks like he's not quite good enough for the company he's in).

They are not weak defensively by any means but it is slightly frail. By maximising the amount of possession they have, limiting the transitions of play, push the opposition back and press the ball immediately when they lose it they can limit the amount of times the defence is placed under genuine pressure. In a way it is playing to their strengths to cover their weaknesses.

I think the Germans will beat them if they get to final

Vincente del Bosque has said this morning that his players are "jaded". The way France played last night offered Spain the chance to drop a few gears. If you are jaded then I think you will take a chance like that to slow things down, especially in such a high profile game with what was expected to be a fiercely contested encounter. A lot of people don't realise how aggressively they work collectively to win the ball back, they exert a lot of energy when they are out of possession.

I thought the Spanish could have been more adventurous, offering a lot more penetration, but they chose to keep the ball instead. I don't see a problem in that. If only England could do that, eh?  As Sewelly said above, France offered Spain a free pass to the Semi's. The Spanish got away with playing in reverse, they weren't going to turn it down. I think we'll see a better performance against Portugal- they're not going to want to lose the chance to defend their crown to their neighbours.

Guess it's the rose tinted spectacles I'm wearing, but I thought we were brilliant last night :lol:

Quite enjoyed trolling the frenchies with those long possession spells. And I think that with Pedro and Torres on we looked like having the penetration we usually lack, but it was very late in the game (still brought us a couple good chances and the pen, however).

Guess it's the rose tinted spectacles I'm wearing, but I thought we were brilliant last night :lol:

Quite enjoyed trolling the frenchies with those long possession spells. And I think that with Pedro and Torres on we looked like having the penetration we usually lack, but it was very late in the game (still brought us a couple good chances and the pen, however).

No doubt if I was Spanish I would have been happy with that performance but for the rest of us it was as dull as ditchwater.