Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

1 hour ago, nortoon said:

Who from before was a good ref though? I remember that one bald guy from Italy. :D

We've been shafted because can't/ couldn't get 2 of the best in Oliver and Clattenburg doing our games 

38 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Even though its an old article it goes to show that the stupid cunt wasn't up to the job in the first place and was known to be clueless already :lol:. He was also the ref who panicked and blew his whistle twice with a fast freekick for Brighton:

Absolute state of him in that video. Changes his mind 3 times, clearly hasnt got a fucking clue what he's done and how to rectify it. I mean he has proven time and time again to be substandard yet still gets put in positions which are so important. It boggles the mind

What are they even looking at on that one?

The amount of previous Mason has is further proof to me that this isn’t conspiracy - it’s incompetence.  The PGMOL is one big boy’s club - any action taken is to momentarily diffuse criticism rather than actually improve standards.  Mason isn’t going to learn - and he fundamentally doesn’t understand the game he’s watching.

Proper reform is required - but it won’t come. 

32 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Why are people saying that Pgmol have admitted their mistakes or apologised?

The statement that I’ve read just says they acknowledge the incidents.

from the bbc

Referees' body PGMOL has effectively accepted controversial VAR decisions made at Chelsea and Newcastle were wrong and will fully co-operate with a Premier League review of the incidents.

4 hours ago, BottledDog said:

Feel there has been a liberal amount of people calling them cunts on here.

Are any lawyers happy to call them cunts yet?

Not a lawyer, but reckon there is a legal basis to call them cunts and sue them for being legally speaking, cunts.

I am happy to tell you that, with my lawyer’s qualification in hand, they are indeed a bunch of cunts.

6 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I thought Erikson was fouled today tbh. It might be a contact sport but you can’t come in from the wrong side, hit the player at the side of the knee, make no contact with the ball and not expect to be called for a foul.

Agreed. Although not as blatant and dangerous, it was similar to the Gravesen assault on Bernard. It's good VAR can pick up on those things. The problem imo is the inconsistency and incompetency of the referees. 

1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

But how do you suggest they be "held accountable"? Fire them and replace them with others who are less experienced?  Fine them? Suspend them? Jail? Waterboarding?

There are some excellent refs in Europe, try those, after all they allow Aussie and South Americans to ref in the PL to gain experience.

3 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

But how do you suggest they be "held accountable"? Fire them and replace them with others who are less experienced?  Fine them? Suspend them? Jail? Waterboarding?

3 hours ago, Zero said:

Those “replacements” could be even worse. 

There's plenty way to do so, for instance a transparent system to evaluate their performance where if they did well they got pay more and assign more games, if they made bad mistake they got pay less and also less games .Suspension if they keep making the same errors. It is perfect? No, at least it'll send a message to refs that they're held accountable instead of "it's human error and it's a tough job, shit happen"

And whose there to say less experience it's worse? if they can't do their works properly, replace them with new young blood, will the replacement be even worse? sure, possibly , but the mindset of hey the new one might be worse let's stick with our current mediocre one it's exactly the reason there's never going to be any improvement

Edited by teohgk

VAR has worked well in every sport bar football, that has to be down to the standard of refereeing. The guys in charge this weekend need standing down and put on some sort of training program.

One of the problems is that footballers are basically thick with loads of money so the people that "know the game" can't be arsed to retrain as an official because its not worth it for them.

I reckon a scheme like the coaching badges to take lower league players that retire into refereeing should be the way forward, but VAR is not the problem (accept for offsides) the people that use it are.

14 minutes ago, Ben said:

I reckon a scheme like the coaching badges to take lower league players that retire into refereeing should be the way forward, but VAR is not the problem (accept for offsides) the people that use it are.

I have been saying this for years.

Should make it like rugby so everyone can hear what the VAR is saying to the ref and vice versa and the ref should be made to ask if that are all the angles.

Christ knows what Mason said to the ref, something along the lines that Willock took the opportunity to barge into the keeper or some shite and then showed angles to try and support this.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Should make it like rugby so everyone can hear what the VAR is saying to the ref and vice versa and the ref should be made to ask if that are all the angles.

Christ knows what Mason said to the ref, something along the lines that Willock took the opportunity to barge into the keeper or some shite and then showed angles to try and support this.

Quick use of the delete button no doubt 

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Eh? Accepting the decisions were wrong is an admission. Either way it means nowt, us and West Ham aren't getting those points and I doubt anything will improve in the long term 

And I bet if the refs try to even things up by being more lenient or whatever, it’ll be us on the receiving end of one of those decisions again :lol:

Edited by LV

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

They would never agree to that - it would immediately highlight how inept and corrupt they are. I don't even think our ref was told to look out for a push on Willock, just the foul on the keeper. The whole crowd would've been up in arms and on the verge of a riot if that had been broadcast

2 hours ago, Ben said:

VAR has worked well in every sport bar football, that has to be down to the standard of refereeing. The guys in charge this weekend need standing down and put on some sort of training program.

One of the problems is that footballers are basically thick with loads of money so the people that "know the game" can't be arsed to retrain as an official because its not worth it for them.

I reckon a scheme like the coaching badges to take lower league players that retire into refereeing should be the way forward, but VAR is not the problem (accept for offsides) the people that use it 

VAR has worked fine in international tournaments and other domestic leagues.

Edited by The Prophet

People have paid and turned up to support their team and given up considerable time and money to do so. I really don't mind losing out to a fluke or a screamer but VAR has already taken away the ability to celebrate after a quick glance at the linesman, which has muted probably the most cathartic reaction I can regularly have in life. Now that we aren't only seeing bad decisions missed, but good decisions turned into bad ones as a result of VAR, I really don't know what the solution is. I agree that it's those using it rather than the tech itself and it has been fine in other tournaments and leagues, but I think I'm leaning to the view it should be scrapped as it's just too inconsistent and does not result in better decisions being made regularly. I think I'd rather go back to complaining about missed injustices and at least being able to celebrate properly again. No chance of this happening, sadly.

28 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

They would never agree to that - it would immediately highlight how inept and corrupt they are. I don't even think our ref was told to look out for a push on Willock, just the foul on the keeper. The whole crowd would've been up in arms and on the verge of a riot if that had been broadcast

Bit of an incentive to do their job properly then.

Some things never change, from Eurosport in March 2015...

HOWE UNHAPPY AS CHERRIES HELD

The Cherries let Watford and Middlesbrough move into the automatic promotion places after Cardiff clawed back a 1-1 draw in the Welsh capital.

Mason waved away a strong first-half penalty appeal before he disallowed a bizarre goal in the 73rd minute.

Bluebirds goalkeeper Simon Moore hit a kick out of hand into Callum Wilson's back and the ball rebounded off the crossbar and into the striker's path, with Wilson then finding the back of the net.

Howe was left smarting when Wilson was shown a yellow card and believes the official's decisions cost the South coast club, who now trail their rivals by two points.

He said: "You'll have to ask the referee why the goal was not allowed, I don't think he had a particularly good game and that's an understatement.

"Callum was looking the other way, he stood his ground which is allowed and the goalkeeper has kicked it at his back.

"That's a real strange decision and ultimately it's cost us two points.

"In my view, it was a penalty in the first-half, that's my honest opinion having looked at it."

Edited by The Prophet

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Tbf I’m not convinced that a lot of former pros understand the laws of the game either; whenever the term ‘common sense’ confidently leaves their mouths, you know that it’ll be immediately followed by them arguing against the laws of the game.

That could just be the punditocracy though