Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Will be very interesting to see how and which ones they choose to release, like. 

Having to listen to the referees during the game will be another horrendous imposition created by this collective shitshow, but sadly it's absolutely necessary at this point.

They have to release all or none, otherwise they'll choose not to release anything controversial, and carry on protecting the big clubs more than they already do.

Edited by Bimpy474

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Will be very interesting to see how and which ones they choose to release, like. 

Having to listen to the referees during the game will be another horrendous imposition created by this collective shitshow, but sadly it's absolutely necessary at this point.

Their dialects will be interesting.

The only time I'd be bothered about hearing the audio is when they're communicating with VAR about something that VAR has reviewed and/or wants the ref to review. And it should be transmitted live in every TV and radio broadcast of the game so that everyone (audience and commentators) don't end up second guessing what they're looking at and muddying the waters even further.

The rest will either be completely bland or some sort of "comedy banter" to show how personable and normal the refs are as humans. So pointless.

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think it's absolutely necessary in the interests of transparency and accountability. Sets of fans are having the piss taken out of them every week because they are being left with no explanation for decisions made.

It could also benefit the referees themselves: rather than being continuously accused of being incompetent and/or corrupt, they'll only be accused of being incompetent. :lol: (I don't believe there is any corruption from officials). On the other hand, you might doubt how much of a net gain there would be from the officials' point of view: mic'ing them up means they become more established characters in the whole pantomime and probably greater targets for abuse.

For the record I'm not 100% against VAR. I just think it has far too great an intervention currently and I think the whole landscape of refereeing is in a far worse state now than it was pre-VAR. 

Yeah, that's just one of the few unintended consequences that'll imo make things even worse for little to no reward.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not looking forward to these Eurononce referees next season, think we’ll have some stinkers.

These days if you tackle a player and you're English you'll be thrown in jail. 

I’d be all for teams being able to have a challenge.. similar to tennis, maybe 3 a match, up to the captain to decide when to use them.

VAR can be generally used for violent conduct or dangerous tackles but goal related incidents are either used as a challenge by a team who think they’ve been wronged or by a team who think they should have a penalty.

Linesmen flag like they used to. But also goals will stand like they used to too unless challenged.

That would sort the flow of games out.

For me, VAR should have a set time to make a decision and if they can’t, the on field decision stands. Something like 60 seconds. Would save the huge delays thats happening in every game now. 

46 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’d be all for teams being able to have a challenge.. similar to tennis, maybe 3 a match, up to the captain to decide when to use them.

VAR can be generally used for violent conduct or dangerous tackles but goal related incidents are either used as a challenge by a team who think they’ve been wronged or by a team who think they should have a penalty.

Linesmen flag like they used to. But also goals will stand like they used to too unless challenged.

That would sort the flow of games out.

Get a VAR challenge wrong and you lose a substitution.

I would be in favour of the time limit on decisions, but I'd also like to see slow motion replays banned when it comes to clear and obvious decisions that do not involve red cards.

If you need 3 replays, slowed down and zoomed in then it can't be a clear and obvious error.

So you either change that definition or find someway to give a degree of consistency on how you apply it

Absolutely no protection offered to our players today by that cunt Hooper. Someone should give him a kick in the shins every 2 minutes and see if he can do 90 minutes without thinking there's a problem.

Unfortunately the average football fan thinks every foul is a yellow card these days

Thought Hooper was fine, got the 3 penalty decisions and the red card correct

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

Thought Hooper was really good, absolutely no complaints.

Funny.

But being serious, I wonder if Firpo took a bung to get himself sent off. The ridiculous dive, then the shocking tackle, then playing volleyball in the area and then cleaning out the last man. Could've been sent off twice. The 'tackle' his eyes are on the leg, not even the correct leg, his studs are up, he's nowhere near the ball. I don't see how on earth VAR miss that or decide the ref has got it right within the laws of the game. It's an easy decision. Firpo did finally get his red in the 91st min and then we got a few seconds of the ball in play.

We were poor, let's be honest, but all we ask is the ref to take charge of the game. He was having a laugh and joke with Ayling in the tunnel before the game. At least try to stay professional. I said before the game that managers like Allardyce tend to get away with more and we saw it with Dyche and Everton with the Longstaff tackle. Just ref the game and not the occasion.