Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Just now, Froggy said:

Where do the officials go at St. James's Park? Do you not have hospitality? 

I've been waiting all fucking day, and that's all you can come up with. I'm disappointed Froggster, your standards as slipping :lol: 

Just now, 54 said:

I've been waiting all fucking day, and that's all you can come up with. I'm disappointed Froggster, your standards as slipping :lol: 

I mean, if we've paid them off, they could have given that handball against Semedo. Useless. 

The corrections needed:

Yellow cards for persistent and cynical fouls

Red cards for vicious fouls and deliberate cheating (Martinez rugby tackling Almiron)

VAR correct 100% of the time (no excuses for it to be incorrect ever)

Clear out of corrupt officials

What we got:

Bookings for imaginary yellow cards being waved

Bookings for being subbed

90 seconds added for every goal scored.

Half a half added on in injury time

Punishment time off the pitch for genuinely injured players

VAR officials still unable to look at a keeper clattering a player and giving a penalty.

The thing that annoys me is the amount of leyway that is given to goalkeepers.

The officials need to forget who's involved in the incident and where it's taken place.

It should always be judged on "if this was two midfielders in the centre circle 30 minutes into the game... Would it be a freekick?"  And then take the appropriate action ie. a penalty/freekick/red card.

I know other things will come into play as in last man or whatever but the actual awarding of the freekick/penalty should be based on this.

The non red card in our game shows a massive anomaly with the rule.

Goalkeeper makes the foul, Covering defender who can't use his hands - Yellow Card.

Defender makes the foul, in on a goal keeper who can use hands - Red Card.

Yep that makes sense.

6 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Imagine being given the gift of video replay to improve the fairness of the game and then looking to over complicate it at every turn. Just disregard the on field decision, look at a couple of angles and make a call that either reenforces or supercedes the on field decision. If both refs go the same way, fine, but the VAR refs are too compromised.

Yeah, I can't understand why the on-field referee can't indicate that he didn't see it properly and wants to have another look on video. Now there's way too much respect on the original call that could've been 100% a guess and somehow the on-field referee 99% of the time goes with the call made by VAR. Let the on-field referee see it again if he needs to and make the decision based on the video.

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, beardsleymagic said:

The thing that annoys me is the amount of leyway that is given to goalkeepers.

The officials need to forget who's involved in the incident and where it's taken place.

It should always be judged on "if this was two midfielders in the centre circle 30 minutes into the game... Would it be a freekick?"  And then take the appropriate action ie. a penalty/freekick/red card.

I know other things will come into play as in last man or whatever but the actual awarding of the freekick/penalty should be based on this.

Also equally annoying (to me!) is the old “well, it’s in the first 5 minutes of the game/it’s the first bad foul, so the ref can’t give a booking”. 

5 minutes ago, Beren said:

Worth a listen but like other sports with a similar process (NFL, cricket) the aim is that both the broadcast and fans will be able to hear dialogue between the VAR official and the ref. So there isn't that weird opaque black box of decision making and fans understand why decisions are made in the ground.

This is a new problem invented by the utter shitshow that is VAR, btw. 100% of the trillions of ticketed football matches since the dawn of time haven't featured explanations from referees to crowd. But now we have VAR suddenly it's a necessary aspiration.

Can't wait for atmospheres to be killed stone dead as spectators hang on several minutes of debate between the ref and some blokes in a room hundreds of miles away; as if hearing those tedious deliberations live is somehow any more beneficial than hearing it later that evening when you catch up on Twitter/YouTube/MOTD/newspaper.

Honestly, the world of officiating is the absolute pits atm.

I kind of feel dirty admitting this but I'm starting to warm to Mike Dean. He's on Sky Sports now and he's ripping apart the refereeing decisions from last week as much as the pundits, it's actually quite refreshing and is a contrast to Peter Walton from BT Sport. I like his openness and honesty and it's just a shame the current officials cannot apply his reasoning.