Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Do people think VAR would have overturned the decision and given us a penalty, presuming it was in the area?

The consensus seems to be that the foul started outside the area so should be a free kick. I thought because he still had a hold Isak's shirt inside the box it was a pen.

Either way Ballard should have been sent off, although tbf he was quite instrumental in our win in the end. Scored one and made one. Pretty lethal end product by anyone's standards.

43 minutes ago, Beth said:

Blatant foul[emoji38]

You must be incredibly pissed or of a red and white persuasion to think it's not a foul on Isak like. 

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

You must be incredibly pissed or of a red and white persuasion to think it's not a foul on Isak like. 

At the time I thought he just eased him out and that's the angle the ref got too, their bodies hid the shirt pulling and if he'd been shown the angle from behind the goal he would have given it. I can see why he didn't give it at the time but he probably should/would have if it had gone to var

1 minute ago, midds said:

At the time I thought he just eased him out and that's the angle the ref got too, their bodies hid the shirt pulling and if he'd been shown the angle from behind the goal he would have given it. I can see why he didn't give it at the time but he probably should/would have if it had gone to var

Aye, with refs used to VAR now they definitely bottle out of more decisions on the odd occasion VAR isn't in operation. 

10 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

Not having VAR is fine when you win. If you lose purely due to a couple of blatantly incorrect decisions it's not so great, like.

I was happy going into the game (that there was no VAR), but I think that's a fair comment.

The principle of referees being assisted by external powers has been established for ages now. The problem is around the amount it imposes on the game. Goal-line technology basically doesn't impose in any way whatsoever... meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum, you've got the current version of VAR - which imposes a tremendous amount. There's got to be a middle ground somewhere, there just has to be. 

On Isak, I can't accept any argument that it's not a foul. The defender couldn't be any less in control so it's hardly like he's used his strength and/or ushered him fairly; he's nowhere near the ball at any point in that incident. 

15 minutes ago, midds said:

It’s more how he ends up behind him. Then falls into him and simultaneously pulls him down at the same time. Thought in real time it looked nailed on. Lino has a clear view of it and does fuck all. 

Anyway, I’ll shut up now. As I’m boring myself and everyone else going on about it :lol: 

I didn't think it was a foul on Isak but it was borderline, just about got away with it for me. Another ref and it could've been a red card and a penalty easily though. Who cares, he scores an own goal and gave away a terrible pen afterwards :lol:

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The problem is around the amount it imposes on the game. Goal-lune technology doesn't impose in any way; the current version of VAR imposes a tremendous amount. There's got to be a middle ground somewhere, there just has to be. 

Totally agree with this.

It has to be remembered that the clamour for video replays years ago wasn't because officiating wasn't quite perfect - it was because so many games were being decided by refereeing mistakes rather than the actual football.

But the thinking was that it would be quick and easy to correct balls ups based on seeing within seconds on Sky what the decision should have been. I don't think anyone envisaged the cumbersome shambles we have at the mo'.

Had to be a foul and a sending off imo. Everyone say 6 of one & half dozen of the other is missing the fact that Isak was in front of Ballard, was pulling Isak by the shirt and then just dived on Isak. The only thing Isak was doing was trying to fend Ballard off. Pawson then almost immediately gave a free kick to Sunderland for far less contact.

Hume should have been sent off.

10 minutes ago, Jordan said:

If you book Gordon for the handbags, you have to give Hume his second yellow as well. 

Not sure I buy this when it was Gordon who instigated the hand bags. 

Just now, Cf said:

Not sure I buy this when it was Gordon who instigated the hand bags. 

He did almost rip Gordons shirt off like, yellow card surely?

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Outmuscled? :lol: He was behind him, grabbed his arm, his shirt, then tripped

over into the back of him. 

The biased as fuck pundits in the studio and McCoist doubling down on the ‘great defending’ nonsense have brainwashed people by the looks of it. 

If we did the same. I’d be extremely relieved if it wasn’t given. It’s a blatant foul and the ref bottled it to avoid dishing out an early red. 

McMoist must have had a heavy session with his mackem in-laws the night before as he was all over the shop including slurring words. 

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

He did almost rip Gordons shirt off like, yellow card surely?

You can question the original foul sure. 

But the notion of "players were involved in handbags, book both of them" doesn't hold up. 

It wasn't that bad from Gordon but a bit more experience and you hope he doesn't react there. We're so far ahead of them that we don't need to drag the game into that level. 

If the VAR system changed to a appeal system where the manager has 1 per half, would Eddie have used it for the Ballard foul on Isak, I'd say so. 

How on earth Hulme didn't get a second yellow is beyond me.

As others have said though, better not to give them some rubbish "we'd have beat you with 11 men" excuse for the next 10 years.

Watching the game yesterday without VAR was great. Even if it counted against us, it was so much more enjoyable to watch a game without delays and uncertainty. You could remain absorbed for the whole game

14 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

I didn't think it was a foul on Isak but it was borderline, just about got away with it for me. Another ref and it could've been a red card and a penalty easily though. Who cares, he scores an own goal and gave away a terrible pen afterwards :lol:

This for me, I said it in the match thread. I think he is getting close to the line with it being a foul, but not quite committing the foul.

If it happened the other way round and we had a man sent off and gave away a penalty for it, we would all be raging.

I think Ballard did very well to get the challenge in eventually, but Isak should have either brought the ball on to his left foot, which would have put it out of reach of Ballard and given him time to either shoot, or be taken out, or he should have just taken a shot first time.

Thought the Isak/Ballard one was a foul personally. Obviously you can go shoulder to shoulder and use your strength but that's meant to be within playing distance of the ball. In that incident the defender isn't challenging for the ball, he was only trying to slow down Isak, which he does with shirt pulling, putting his arm and body in front to block his path and then falling in front of him to slow him down. No part of what he did was actually challenging for the ball so for me it was a combination of holding and impeding progress with contact.

Also IMO no way Hume should have been given a second booking for the Gordon incident, he didn't do anything! He didn't commit a foul and it was Gordon who kicked off and started pushing. Hume didn't even push him back.

Edited by Checko

17 hours ago, Beth said:

I'm sorry like, but that wasn't a foul on Isak, he was simply out-musculed, we'd have been raging if it had been given agaisnst us. Thought the ref had a good game.

Foul or not (he was holding Isaks shirt which for me is always a foul) surely Isak out-muscled Ballard to the point he fell over as he couldn't hold him back [emoji38]

Thought it was a clear foul on Isak and should've been a red for Ballard.  He grabs the left hand side of Isak's shirt with his right hand and throws himself to the floor making sure he brings Isak with him.

Don't think Hume or Gordon deserved a yellow for the handbags, but Ballard did deserve a yellow for the way he got in Gordon's face after.

How much outrage has there been this weekend about awful decisions made by officials ?

I’ve only seen our game and the Arsenal match so not sure if there’s been many howlers in other games 

Cos when VAR is in operation outrage about incorrect decisions is usually a main topic of conversation in the post-match review shows, be telling if that hasn’t happened this weekend 

Edited by bobbydazzla

23 hours ago, Stifler said:

This for me, I said it in the match thread. I think he is getting close to the line with it being a foul, but not quite committing the foul.

If it happened the other way round and we had a man sent off and gave away a penalty for it, we would all be raging.

I think Ballard did very well to get the challenge in eventually, but Isak should have either brought the ball on to his left foot, which would have put it out of reach of Ballard and given him time to either shoot, or be taken out, or he should have just taken a shot first time.

What challenge? He was nowhere near getting the ball and he knew it! 

36 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

What challenge? He was nowhere near getting the ball and he knew it! 

100% a foul and a possible red.  No idea what McCoist was blathering about.