Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

• 2 weeks later...

Gnonto should have booked inside 20 minutes. I think he must have committed something like 10 fouls without being booked. He eventually was booked for taking the piss over a free kick and almost immediately was substituted. 

The ref let far too many things go and yet early on gave Leeds 2 free kicks for players hitting the deck for no reason. 

He wasn’t the cause of lost points but, he didn’t help.

8 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

He was very Sunday League. Absolutely baffling decisions and Leeds played him like a fiddle

This was my gripe - he absolutely fell for their very basic gameplan. Once they realised it they went back to it over and over, just seemed to get lost in the plucky underdog narrative. Did nothing about the blatant timewasting, cynical fouling, diving and feigning injury. I’d hope we put a complaint in.

More my kind of ref TBH. Yes there was a few head scratchers and when Leeds gamesmanship kicked in there should’ve been greater punishment but overall I like a ref that doesn’t blow for everything in general.

Love how nothing was added to the additional 4 minutes. Yet it was at Anfield.

Not particularly blaming the ref from today (as shite as I thought he was), but the lack of consistency is a joke. Not that we’d have scored anyways, but that’s not the point. 

5 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

How Koch didn’t get booked for that foul on Joelinton, as he was breaking away at pace, I’ll never know. As blatant as fuck. Awful decision. Was a stonewall yellow. 

How the fuck Trippier was first in the book I do not know.

Just now, 80 said:

How the fuck Trippier was first in the book I do not know.

I thought Trippiers was a blatent yellow and thought he struggled against his winger particularly in the first half but, as you say, there were plenty of others who should’ve been reprimanded before him. 

Plenty of gamesmanship throughout from them who came only for a point. Backhanded compliment given our respective position this time last year really. Marsch, the prick, didn’t even set them up to break. He turned up like he was playing Man City or Liverpool tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Love how nothing was added to the additional 4 minutes. Yet it was at Anfield.

Not particularly blaming the ref from today (as shite as I thought he was), but the lack of consistency is a joke. Not that we’d have scored anyways, but that’s not the point. 

This is what annoyed me, we've been guilty of time wasting so can't really complain but it's infuriating when we get punished for it and other teams don't.

12 hours ago, LFEE said:

More my kind of ref TBH. Yes there was a few head scratchers and when Leeds gamesmanship kicked in there should’ve been greater punishment but overall I like a ref that doesn’t blow for everything in general.

I worry about you sometimes. :lol:

One of the most inept performances in a while. Easily the tubbiest. He was constantly letting them rattle into us in the press (Adams in particular) but as soon as we brushed one of theirs he’d be whistling early doors.

He did then seem to try and let more go, but that’s not good refereeing if it’s not consistent.

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

I worry about you sometimes. :lol:

One of the most inept performances in a while. Easily the tubbiest. He was constantly letting them rattle into us in the press (Adams in particular) but as soon as we brushed one of theirs he’d be whistling early doors.

He did then seem to try and let more go, but that’s not good refereeing if it’s not consistent.

No need to I’m fine but good to know you care about me 😂 Just when you’ve watched football since the early 80’s you have the perspective how soft it’s become and I’m welcoming the higher threshold for physical contact. Yes there’s a balance as don’t want players being crippled but all yesterday was was a hard physical game and we’ve got to learn to stand up to it and combat it. Thought we fell into their trap at the end especially. I’m of the opinion most fouls given these days you could argue they could go either way quite often or not at all that’s why I prefer the whistle to be kept in the pocket and let the game flow.

The cheating however is a different thing and that’s where refs need to take control as they have the power with the cards and that’s where I thought the ref got it wrong and I was left scratching my head a few times like I said.

The fact even I was slightly worried Wilson might get a VAR red when decades ago that shove would’ve been encouraged with no doubt a chorus of “get in to them, fcuk them up!” and no yellow card even shows how far the game has changed and for the worse on many occasions. It’s why so many games nowadays have flat atmospheres as nothing is allowed to boil up and get going.

Gnoto got warned after about his 4th foul. Then committed a couple more at the start of the second half and it was like the ref forgot. Only booked him for the 10 yards thing. 

Adams was similar, I’m sure he got warned for constantly time wasting after fouls and then kicking the ball away/back on the pitch. Then got pinged for a good few more fouls. Played his role to perfection as chief shithouse, I thought. Ref enabled that. 

He lost control early doors and let them take the piss. He was a massive part of why I found the game so frustrating. 

Our players lost the plot, mind. Howe at the end looking massively fucked off and clearly saying “what are we doing” :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Gnoto got warned after about his 4th foul. Then committed a couple more at the start of the second half and it was like the ref forgot. Only booked him for the 10 yards thing. 

Adams was similar, I’m sure he got warned for constantly time wasting after fouls and then kicking the ball away/back on the pitch. Then got pinged for a good few more fouls. Played his role to perfection as chief shithouse, I thought. Ref enabled that. 

He lost control early doors and let them take the piss. He was a massive part of why I found the game so frustrating. 

Our players lost the plot, mind. Howe at the end looking massively fucked off and clearly saying “what are we doing” :lol: 

Yep I agree in the main. That’s where I thought the ref didn’t use his cards to control the game as he let the Leeds players start to control it second half as actually first half I thought Leeds came to give us a game.

Agreed. A bit off topic, but the first half was when they were wide open. With better players on the pitch and a bit more composure. We could have won it early on. It was all disjointed at the end. A lot of it down to the ref. 

I'd have welcomed the ref letting more things go if it was both ways. Bruno was clattered into a few times early on, clearly part of Leeds' game plan, and the ref lets it go. Then Trippier tickles their player on the shoulder and gets a yellow.

I thought Leeds would have been down to 10 or 9 men with another ref tbh, he was shocking and was the sole enabler of Leeds' game plan.

I think referees and players are both struggling a bit with this new directive to give less soft fouls. Overall I’m in favour. 

Think his cards were the main problem, allowed kicking the ball away, stopping attacks and all that without giving a yellow. 

The added time at the end seemed very short as well, but he was probably just keen to get off. 

As poor as the ref was we didn't win because of our woeful finishing, we had enough chances to win it with ease.

The amount of shots we smashed over was dreadful, we lacked that bit composure needed in game like yesterday's 

Shows how far we've come mind that we're disappointed, but another solid defensive performance and clean sheet, and the old us might have gone and lost it.

I think corners (and the amount of penalties originally given during them) are possibly an issue that has effected the VAR process too much, and it's led to the comically ineffective version we have now, not too intrusive but far too subjective to be in any way reliable.

Not much has been spoken about it, but the foul on Schar is a good example. It was a clear penalty, he gets his legs clipped at pace by Adams who rushed in from the side clumsily. It was soft but the replays very clearly highlighted that the contact was enough to bring him down. It's similar to the one on Ronaldo by Trippier which we go away with, and we've seen it plenty times in other games.

Subjectivity is added to the decision when you start asking questions like "did Adams mean to catch him?", "Did Schar go down easily", or the even more undefinable "Did the referee make a serious error?" All which are completely irrelevant to the very visible fact that it was a foul, but create a discussion around the incident in which it could be waved away. "I mean aye it was a penalty, but it would have been very harsh."

It's impossible to be completely objective, but they could start by keeping the bar high for corners, while removing the hoops they apparently have to jump through in proper open play. If it's a foul then give the penalty, it really isn't hard [emoji38]

--------------------

I found this description of it canny funny like

https://motleedsnews.com/matchday/bt-sports-panel-disagree-on-major-tyler-adams-incident-in-leeds-united-clash-v-newcastle/

"Adams is just stronger and more aggressive and while he doesn’t win the ball, he doesn’t make any proper contact with Schar and in a contact sport, just making contact isn’t enough to make it a foul."

[emoji38] So aye, given he didn't play the ball and came in from the side it's a blatant penalty then

He also does make proper contact, I was being kind before. Schar doesn't even buy the foul, he get's completely taken out and Adams nearly goes down himself.

Edited by Hanshithispantz