Newcastle United Vs Swansea - 17/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Fenham Mag

Met office got severe weather warnings out for Gales thur, fri sat.

Not sure if a games ever been postponed due to gales?

There used to be a safety limit in the old days of 65MPH and i remember playing Sunderland at home in 1990 in howling gale and the press saying the game had been in doubt.

Bloody hell 65mph. That's just a breeze :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2073320/Fabricio-Coloccini-Cheik-Tiote-fit-Newcastle.html

Boost for Pardew as Coloccini and Tiote are declared fit for Swansea clash

By Colin Young

Last updated at 10:30 PM on 12th December 2011

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has Fabricio Coloccini and midfield anchor Cheik Tiote back for the visit of Swansea on Saturday.

Central defender Mike Williamson, out with an ankle injury since August, is also due to play for Newcastle’s reserves against Bolton on Tuesday.

Pardew is in need of a lift after the 4-2 defeat at Norwich, where full  backs James Perch and Danny Simpson played in central defence after Coloccini failed a fitness test on his thigh injury. Steven Taylor is out for the season after achilles surgery.

Pardew says that Williamson’s chances of proving his fitness for this weekend are  ‘a long shot’.

But the return of Tiote is arguably the biggest boost for Pardew, who has been without the Ivory Coast enforcer for seven games with knee ligament damage.

:megusta:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2073320/Fabricio-Coloccini-Cheik-Tiote-fit-Newcastle.html

By Colin Young

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has Fabricio Coloccini and midfield anchor Cheik Tiote back for the visit of Swansea on Saturday.

Central defender Mike Williamson, out with an ankle injury since August, is also due to play for Newcastle’s reserves against Bolton on Tuesday.

Pardew is in need of a lift after the 4-2 defeat at Norwich, where full  backs James Perch and Danny Simpson played in central defence after Coloccini failed a fitness test on his thigh injury. Steven Taylor is out for the season after achilles surgery.

Pardew says that Williamson’s chances of proving his fitness for this weekend are  ‘a long shot’.

But the return of Tiote is arguably the biggest boost for Pardew, who has been without the Ivory Coast enforcer for seven games with knee ligament damage.

Perch and Smith it is, then!

First of all I havent given up on Obertan yet and not sure who we could play there that is more threat.

Obviously I've left HBA off the wings as it seems AP or HBA doesn't want him to play there.

IMO, and I know I'm a lone voice, part of the problem we have is that there is too much pressure on Obertan because everything is channeled down the right. If we can get an attacking threat down the left then I think we will be a much more balanced side.

Obertan is hit and miss but he's had some good games this season. I'm hoping he'll eventually become another Enrique, Coloccini or Gutierrez who gets slated by the idiots for ages and then finds his feet and becomes a fan favourite. The raw attributes are there, pace, stamina, tricks but he lacks the final ball, much like Gutierrez for a long time.

I'd give Ben Arfa a run out wide against the weaker teams who will sit back, but other than HBA I don't see anyone else who can play there. HBA seems to have been earmarked for a number 10 role so for the time being if he's fit Obertan will play.

I think Gutierrez doing so much of Ryan Taylor's defensive work has been a problem, I agree. Wingers will often find space when the team quickly switches flank. We need Gutierrez higher up the pitch with Santon behind him overlapping the odd time. If they're stifled down that flank they can cut the ball back to the likes of Cabaye who can quickly switch play to Obertan in acres of space. This isn't going to happen when Gutierrez is reluctant to get to the by-line because his orders are to man-mark and be cautious. I think there's more to come from Obertan, I certainly haven't given up hope yet. But I do agree with those who say his final ball and weak passes are frustrating. Like the previously mentioned players who many slated in their first season, I hope he will find his feet. If you compare Enrique, Colo and Gutierrez to the players they were in their first season, it shows how much confidence and a run in the team can do.

By Colin Young

:pedro:

All of a sudden I'm that much more confident.

By Colin Young

http://files.sharenator.com/Fap_Meme1_RE_Tips_on_how_to_masturbate-s300x300-206447.jpg

Guest ItalianMagpie

Watching this with a Swansea fan, and the manager of the hostel i'm in. Losing could be unbearable.

Losing at home to Swansea would be unbearable whatever club your hostel's manager is supporting, tbh.

Guest Benarfanufc10

Krul

Danny Willy Colo Santon

Obertan Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ba Best

Is what I think we'll see although I'd rather start Ben Arfa than Obertan.

If ben arfa not play  :cheesy: vs swansea he should put in transfert request :rant:

Alan Pardew: Newcastle United are entering their rough patch

ALAN Pardew admits Newcastle United are enduring their “rough patch” of the season.

There is no reason to suspect it is anything other than a temporary one.

For while United’s defeat at Norwich on Saturday was a bruising lesson in what happens when depleted resources meet strong-arm opponents feasting on momentum, it was not indicative of deeper problems for Pardew.

Newcastle’s players and coaching staff were on a day off yesterday, the squad that has taken them to a very creditable seventh in the Premier League having set off to Glasgow for the annual Christmas party.

No doubt hangovers were involved yesterday, but no stone will be left unturned in coming up with a Plan B after their Plan A was assailed by injury and suspension.

Pardew could change formation for the visit of Swansea, perhaps even trialling the 4-3-3 formation that was originally envisaged for the club when they were chasing Saint-Etienne’s midfield enforcer Blaise Matuidi.

Then the thinking was to put Cheick Tioté in the centre of midfield while Matuidi would go on the right with Yohan Cabaye possible on the left of a midfield three.

Matuidi was priced out of a Newcastle move, but United still have the resources – Mehdi Abeid could slip into the engine room, while Jonás Gutiérrez is either bumped back into defence or given a more attacking role.

That would also allow Hatem Ben Arfa, brooding at the loss of his place in the team, back into the fray.

Swansea are a difficult side to break down – hence the consideration of 4-3-3 – but they are not quite as smart going forward, and they will not pose the same physical problems that so unsettled the makeshift team on Saturday.

If this is an injury crisis, it is good for United that they have a coaching staff so far proven to prosper in a crisis.

John Carver told The Journal last month that the club’s managerial brains trust spend more time with fringe players than they do with those playing in the team and that kind of attention to detail should pay off in the three weeks that remain before reinforcements can be added in January.

James Perch should find things easier alongside Fabricio Coloccini, while the club will hope Davide Santon improves from a difficult afternoon at Carrow Road.

Privately, they do not believe the Italian Under-21 international will begin to show his best until he has six months’ experience of English football’s top flight under his belt – but needs must.