Newcastle United Vs Swansea - 17/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Fenham Mag

Never understood how you could be a fan of two clubs, especially if they play in the same league.

I've supported Newcastle as a second team since 1969. Swansea (Town as they were then) were in the 4th division. The nearest first division teams were in London or Birmingham. As a schoolboys, all the kids had their favourite 1st division teams as seen on match of the day about which they would talk about in the school yard. Mostly Leeds, Chelsea, Man U and Everton in those days, for whatever reason I chose Newcastle and stuck with them ever since.

I suppose it does seem strange to those who are born and brought up in a City where there is a 'giant' in footballing terms steeped in history, but when your local team is more used to the lower echelons and the nearest 'big' team is 100's of miles away your perception is different as you grow up.

Swansea is and always has been my number 1 team as the programs going back to the 60's hold testament to.

Newcastle was a great excuse to nip down the pub to watch the mid week games (before I moved to Canada). Used to frequent the Barley Mow in Duke Street a lot when I lived in London too.

Hi guys, Swansea (and Newcastle) fan here, a rare game I actually want Newcastle to lose as its my home team.

We're due an away win, we have been close.

Our away record has been poor in terms of results as a few have picked up on.

Man City 0-4. first game was 0-0 until they brought on their sub whose worth was more than our entire team (including the bench), all goals in the last half hour.

Arsenal 0-1, was looking like it was going to be scoreless before a very uncharacteristic mistake by Vorm, where he rolled the ball out at pace and it hit the back of Angel Rangel's legs straight to Arshavin who couldn't miss.

Chelsea 1-4 nuff said.

Norwich 1-3, we never really started this game, one of the few where we did actually play bad.

Wolves 2-2, we threw away a 2 goal lead.

Liverpool 0-0, we both had chances to score.

Blackburn 2-4, done by the Yak, we didn't play bad just had no answer to Yakubu who scored 4, we pulled back to 2-3 then had Allen sent off for a very weak yellow (his own fault his first yellow was for throwing the ball away). they played some rough tactics, as did Villa the week before which lost us 3 players for this game.

So yes our away form is not good but apart from Norwich we haven't been too bad.

We'll play keep ball and what's the bet Routledge will score his first prem goal.  :p

http://i.imgur.com/ujM8h.png

Edit: I see you've explained.

Fair enough, fwiw I am not from Newcastle but they have just always been my team and I can't envisage supporting them as I do but there being a situation where I hoped they would lose  :undecided:

Reminds me of a cup game last season where a Newcastle 'fan' was happily baiting before the game then gloating after we lost it whilst still claiming to support us  O0

Not being a 'Superfan' (far from it) but I can't imagine people able to turn off/on my support like that.

Dare say that what he's getting at is they've played better than what the results would tell you, and not to expect an automatically easy game.

Yeah but 4 of those 7 games were lost with 2 or more goals margins, admittedly the draw against Liverpool was impressive and I watched the game against Wolves and they were much the better team.

Apart from those 2 games doesn't seem like they've come close to victory regardless of performance.

Dare say that what he's getting at is they've played better than what the results would tell you, and not to expect an automatically easy game.

Dicked Liverpool pretty much for instance.

Really? I didn't see the full game but Vorm made some excellent saves.

I think sometimes when an underdog gives a superior team a good run for their money there's some weird perception that they deserve something but in reality the better side usually deserve to win it's just the weak side have exceeded peoples expectations.

Our game vs Man U is a good example, I imagine most fans thought we deserved a draw because we were underdogs, played very well and defended brilliantly but in reality we should have lost comfortably.

I imagine I'll have difficulties in about a century or so when everyone is playing in a global football league with teams and fans using mass-transit teleporters for away matches and my local club and Newcastle finally end up in competition with one another.

ALAN PARDEW has described Mike Williamson’s chances of being fit to face Swansea City as “a long shot”.

But the Toon boss is keeping fingers crossed that Cheick Tiote makes his long-awaited return alongside Fabricio Coloccini.

Williamson was rated as hopeful for the clash with the Swans, but is not making the rapid progress from the ankle injury he sustained at Scunthorpe in the League Cup back in August.

However, Pardew revealed that skipper Coloccini lost his race against time to be fit for Carrow Road but is still in the frame for next Saturday’s 3pm meeting with the Welsh side.

Pardew, who also told reporters after the 4-2 loss at Norwich that a defender is on his wish list next month, told the Chronicle: “Williamson will be a tough call.

“He hasn’t really done much.”

Bolton reserves will visit Tyneside tomorrow for a behind-closed-doors game at the club’s training facilities.

Pardew hinted Williamson may get a second-string run-out against Wanderers.

He said: “He might have a run around in the reserves, but to ask him to play in the first team is a long shot.”

And when asked for an update on Coloccini or knee victim Tiote, Pardew said: “It wasn’t like I spared him for next week, he just couldn’t play.

“We don’t think he’s too bad – he’s got a chance for next week.

“Tiote’s a possibility, and that’ll be a big lift.”

And the Londoner says Coloccini’s leadership skills were badly missed at Norwich.

He said: “Not only have we lost three key players, we’ve got our captain missing as well. It’s the spirit sometimes of people on the pitch that can make a difference.”

But there was no getting away from Newcastle’s under-subscribed defensive ranks.

Pardew said: “Norwich capitalised on that.

“Everything was coming in the centre of our goal.

“We defended some of it very well, but unfortunately they got the goals that they needed.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/12/mike-williamson-unlikely-to-be-fit-for-swansea-72703-29937265/#ixzz1gK8GqpLC

Hi guys, Swansea (and Newcastle) fan here, a rare game I actually want Newcastle to lose as its my home team.

Man City 0-4. first game was 0-0 until they brought on their sub whose worth was more than our entire team (including the bench), all goals in the last half hour.

Arsenal 0-1, was looking like it was going to be scoreless before a very uncharacteristic mistake by Vorm, where he rolled the ball out at pace and it hit the back of Angel Rangel's legs straight to Arshavin who couldn't miss.

Chelsea 1-4 nuff said.

Norwich 1-3, we never really started this game, one of the few where we did actually play bad.

Blackburn 2-4, done by the Yak, we didn't play bad just had no answer to Yakubu who scored 4, we pulled back to 2-3 then had Allen sent off for a very weak yellow (his own fault his first yellow was for throwing the ball away). they played some rough tactics, as did Villa the week before which lost us 3 players for this game.

So yes our away form is not good but apart from Norwich we haven't been too bad.

We'll play keep ball and what's the bet Routledge will score his first prem goal.  :p

How has Neil Taylor being doing for your lot? How highly do you rate him?

Fair enough, fwiw I am not from Newcastle but they have just always been my team and I can't envisage supporting them as I do but there being a situation where I hoped they would lose  :undecided:

Reminds me of a cup game last season where a Newcastle 'fan' was happily baiting before the game then gloating after we lost it whilst still claiming to support us  O0

Not being a 'Superfan' (far from it) but I can't imagine people able to turn off/on my support like that.

Curious, where are you from like?

I think:

Krul

Simpson    Perch    Coloccini    Raylor

Tiote

Cabaye

Obertan                                    Jonas

Shola          Ba

Chelsea 1-4 nuff said.

He's been playing very well, links well with Sinclair on the left. Highly rated really.

We've lost a little on the right though with Angel Rangel being injured, he links well with Dyer. Routledge started instead of Dyer the last game.

I think:

Krul

Simpson    Perch    Coloccini    Raylor

Tiote

Cabaye

Obertan                                    Jonas

Shola          Ba

Santon?!  :o

Chelsea 1-4 nuff said.

He's been playing very well, links well with Sinclair on the left. Highly rated really.

We've lost a little on the right though with Angel Rangel being injured, he links well with Dyer. Routledge started instead of Dyer the last game.

:thup: Ta. Oh well, another positive in terms of our scouts seemingly picking him out before he was too well known. Just a shame we couldn't nick him on the cheap/were prepared to pay what he was worth to you.