Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I'll leave it and say I was critical at the amount of game time Ba was getting at the start of the season and was proven wrong, that was without a massive layoff like Ben Arfa had so I won't be so critical this time.

Ben Arfa, like Ba at the time, needs games.

:thup: Simply put.

With games comes progress, I'm sure after a run of them, Ben Arfa will be fine.

From the article Dave posted above:

"I think I'm just coming near to 100 per cent after my injury. I feel sharp and I feel good.

The player himself feels good so I think it's a matter of time before Ben Arfa will be a regular in the side. I mentioned this before, when Ba goes to the ACoN, that's Ben Arfa's chance to try and shine.

i could understand not playing him in every game over a supposedly busy period but he's proved he can handle 90mins so why drop him to the bench for weeks on end.

Ben Arfa should start against Liverpool and subsequent games after that, no doubt about that in my mind.

It's just that going by Pardew's comments, it just seems to me that Ben Arfa isn't going to get a proper chance until Ba heads off to the ACoN.

Along with Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye and Ba - HBA is one of the most gifted players at this club, and on that basis alone, should be starting games. Obertan was invigorated when he came on, Ba moved into more attacking positions, Tiote and Cabaye played their more natural styles of football.

Today we saw why Hatem Ben Arfa can become one the best attacking midfielders in the league.

His celebration was great. Nice to see that he knowns the fans are behind him.

Because you're not man enough to admit that Ba doesnt necessarily play better with your 2 man upfront theory?

Not a man though, but some sort of relentless virus.

Lush finish but I'd expect any striker of note to pop it in, diabolical defending in the middle after our left hand side ripped them a new hole.

Is their a silver lining to Best/Shola getting game-time recently, in that they'll be able to 'do a job' when Ba goes to Africa an HBA is in prime goal-scoring form - to make up for Ba's absence?

Even a rusty Ben Arfa is better than the alternatives so don't buy this he needs to be at 100% nonsense

Also makes no sense how he can start 3 games in a row yet a month later not be fully fit, sounds like excuses from Pardew BUT it is only a matter of time before Pardew accepts he is being stubborn

Lush finish but I'd expect any striker of note to pop it in, diabolical defending in the middle after our left hand side ripped them a new hole.

Is their a silver lining to Best/Shola getting game-time recently, in that they'll be able to 'do a job' when Ba goes to Africa an HBA is in prime goal-scoring form - to make up for Ba's absence?

Possibly wise to giving them all game time but without Shola/Best partnering Ben Arfa and dropped Ba (never going to happen) then no, not massively IMO apart from the fitness issue but is 30 mins here or there making much of a difference? I'm not so sure.

For what it's worth I agree with Cajun. The stick Pardew is getting for not starting HBA is well over the top. I, like most of the rest of you, want to see him start games, but most of the criticism directed at Pardew is unwarranted. None of us know how good or bad a condition or form he's in in training, and in my opinion Pardew has earned a bit of respect and patience to do the job he has done so well so far this season.

Bit of a cop out imo, none of us know how any player does in training so we can never complain about any selection Pardew makes?

For what it's worth I agree with Cajun. The stick Pardew is getting for not starting HBA is well over the top. I, like most of the rest of you, want to see him start games, but most of the criticism directed at Pardew is unwarranted. None of us know how good or bad a condition or form he's in in training, and in my opinion Pardew has earned a bit of respect and patience to do the job he has done so well so far this season.

Bit of a cop out imo, none of us know how any player does in training so we can never complain about any selection Pardew makes?

To an extent, yes actually. But much more in the case of someone who has missed a year of football with a serious serious injury.

BUT he has clearly recovered from the injury, why else would he have started 3 games in a row? that too against 3 tough teams

I can understand if players in the starting XI were performing BUT Best and Obertan (Jonas too) have by and large been average of late so it is reasonable for fans expecting Ben Arfa to be picked ahead of them

I seem to remember an article about a week ago that implied that Ben Arfa would be the "man to fill Ba's boots".

In fact, here is said article:

Ben Arfa backed to fill Demba’s boots

Published: 22 December 2011

0 comments

By MILES STARFORTH

HATEM Ben Arfa’s been backed to come into his own when leading scorer Demba Ba leaves for the African Cup of Nations.

Ben Arfa came off the bench in last night’s 3-2 defeat to West Bromwich Albion.

Up to now, opportunities for the forward have been few and far between, and Newcastle United’s fans have only seen glimpses of the 24-year-old, who set up Demba Ba’s second goal at St James’s Park.

Ba’s brace took his tally for the season to 13, and manager Alan Pardew isn’t looking forward to being without the Senegal international, who is expected to leave for the tournament, being co-staged by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, after the home game against Queens Park Rangers on January 15.

However, Pardew’s hopeful Ben Arfa – who missed most of last season through injury – will be back to his best by then, having admitted earlier this week that he needed to “come up a level”.

“Hatem showed a few flashes, which was nice,” Pardew told the Gazette. “He’s picked up in training a bit, and he might be the man when Demba goes away.

“We’re having to take care with him. I know the crowd are probably desperate to see a bit more of him. I don’t see him being far away.”

Ba, meanwhile, underlined his class with a stunning free-kick and another clinical finish, as well as a willingness to drop deep and compete for the ball when United weren’t in possession.

“It’s not just his goals and play, but his all-round presence,” said Pardew. “He was a big factor. He’s a big equation in the side, and the pick of the bunch.

“He’s going to be a difficult hole to fill, but if we keep him in the form he’s in, that’ll help.

“We’ve still got three or four games with him yet, hopefully.”

FWIW, in the long term, I really think it should be Ba upfront on his own with Ben Arfa behind him in the number 10.

Biggest arsehole at the club is apparantly the reason he is treated the way he is

His ability is without question

Load of shite imo, just people looking for a reason he wasn't starting. Ba for one seems to love him, and he was having a good laugh with Perch and Ferguson while warming up, hardly the actions of a massive dickhead.

Biggest arsehole at the club is apparantly the reason he is treated the way he is

His ability is without question

Pardew said post match he is a popular guy in the dressing room.

Pardew said Carroll wouldn't be sold [/Colocho-Minhosa-jonnypd]

Quite a number said Hughton was a puppet and that his work in the championship was a formality anyway.

Ba was very harshly judged in his first 105 or so minutes.

The Milner comment justifies my point but I will add (similar to Obertan actually) he was frequently held responsible for poor results, was proclaimed to be the worst winger ever to play for the club (prefered him centrally personally but still ludicrous), and would have been "driven to Villa for £4m" etc..

Just saying :)

Guest optimistic nit

How so? Still don't go for the "he is brilliant, he HAS to start" thing :dontknow:

I really rate the lad and when he is 100% he will probably be one of our best players but we need to be patient and some of the anger directed at Pardew over this lad is getting silly.

Seems far to simplistic for me to say "well if he is fit to play, why not start him!?". I think there is more to it than whether a player is capable of running around for 90 minutes.

So what you're saying is that we should sacrifice points by playing inferior players to HBA because in the long run not starting him (even after he scores) is gonna be better for his confidence. Brilliant!

depends on the available players, the tactics and the opposition. i definately don't think ben arfa should automatically start on friday, he was decent against citeh, but completely abscent against man u and chelsea where we created about 2 chances in 180 minutes. away against liverpool, it may be better to start best or shola and play more direct with ba feeding off the knockdowns, which has worked quite well in the past. personally i'd start shola.