Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

It does seem like he's been bulking, but in the same way an 18 year old kid would to do get big.  Not in the way Bale added lean mass, or the way Marquez did for the 4th Pacquiao fight.

That's what happens when you bulk the natty way

Guest palnese

Missed the 2nd half yesterday, how did he do?

Overall he did good. Hit and miss, but he made things happen.

And he played a massive part in our goal. Such a brilliant, unexpected cross. Cisse hardly had to move.

And he played a massive part in our goal. Such a brilliant, unexpected cross. Cisse hardly had to move.

:thup:

Noticed he stuck another one on Cisses head too. Probably still didnt do enough for our great leader though.

:thup:

Noticed he stuck another one on Cisses head too. Probably still didnt do enough for our great leader though.

good point :lol:

baines, lets not forget baines

Hatem ben arfa is a substitute at Newcastle United, a poor team playing poor football, and that's really a shame.

In which EPL clubs he would be a certain starter?

i can't see him going to a top 6 team, hope he will go to liverpool as a substitute

Hatem ben arfa is a substitute at Newcastle United, a poor team playing poor football, and that's really a shame.

i can't see him going to a top 6 team, hope he will go to liverpool as a substitute

Liverpool are a top 6 team.

File > Quit

If HBA leaves it will be for first team football, he won't leap from one bench to another

If HBA leaves it will be for first team football, he won't leap from one bench to another

when he left marseille (title winner), it was to get first team football, even in newcastle he didn't get that…

i drather see him as a substitute in a top team than in southampton

when he left marseille (title winner), it was to get first team football, even in newcastle he didn't get that…

i drather see him as a substitute in a top team than in southampton

Unfortunately for him, he hadn´t sussed the fraud in charge back then.

Guest Howaythetoon

Its simple with Ben Arfa, put him in the team, give him the freedom to express himself without neglecting any team duties, and in time he will find a rhythm of form that will see him become our main man, a match winner, someone who will contribute goals and assists on a weekly basis in the same way Remy does now or Ba used to. Our fuck wit of a manager, however, cannot do that because he worries more about what his players do off the ball than on it. Just fucking play the kid, on the right, and tell him to take on his man, get us goals and set them up. He has the tools to do it and then sum. DO IT before losing a player who can be the difference in the way Cabaye was or Remy is. God knows we need it.

Hatem Ben Arfa waited, unmarked, on the right wing but Cheik Tioté ignored him and instead hit an optimistic pass towards a crowded penalty area. When Crystal Palace cleared with ease, Newcastle United's most creative player turned to the bench and shrugged.

Some senior professionals at St James' Park believe Ben Arfa is not so much a luxury as a liability, low on work-rate and discipline. Alan Pardew – absent here, serving the second game of his stadium ban – shares a few of their misgivings.

Yet Newcastle's manager also knows Ben Arfa is a game changer, a match-winner and, via a half-time telephone chat, he and John Carver, his assistant, agreed that, if things were still level with an hour gone, Carver would bring him off the bench.

As the ground's electronic clock flicked to 59 minutes, he duly trotted on and Tony Pulis's staff immediately issued Palace with a barrage of urgent tactical instructions. A little over half an hour later two excellent Ben Arfa crosses had created Newcastle's best chances of the afternoon for the much improved Papiss Cissé who, deep in stoppage time, headed the winner.

Pulis believed Cissé's goal was only scored because the referee delayed 40 seconds too long before blowing the final whistle and remains convinced his side should have been awarded a penalty after Mike Williamson's perceived late handball, but he did acknowledge Palace were up against it for the last 30 minutes.

"We were very good for an hour," said the visiting manager. "Then we started tiring." It was perhaps no coincidence that such fatigue crept in once Ben Arfa began transmitting ripples of expectation throughout the stadium every time he assumed possession and began utilising a wonderful imagination.

Admittedly he sometimes tried to beat one man too many or picked the wrong pass but his talent frightened a Palace team who had coped relatively comfortably with the largely uninspired industry of Newcastle's "hard-working" stalwarts such as Moussa Sissoko.

Granted, Ben Arfa's fitness has left something to be desired this season – although maybe his hamstring surgery last spring was more debilitating than advertised – but with Yohan Cabaye departed and the QPR loanee striker Loïc Rémy set to leave in May, Pardew's best hope of avoiding impending mediocrity is surely reconstructing his side around the winger's mercurial talents.

Such a plan may not go down a storm in the dressing room but a collective rapprochement with Ben Arfa seems imperative. "Hatem's like Chris Waddle, a maverick, a flair player," said Carver, who was suitably delighted to win on an afternoon when Newcastle's owner, Mike Ashley, watched his first match at St James' Park since September. "Today Hatem was really focused. He actually listened to my instructions and did what we asked.

"He's been out for some time with injury and he's been back home with his mother because she was ill but I've actually been getting on quite well with Hatem recently, probably the best I've got on with him. I've had a chance to sit down with him and talk and he's quite a nice guy when you have a real conversation about family and life, nothing to do with football. It's brought us closer together. You've got to get inside Hatem's head. You've got to give him a cuddle."

Although Carver thought 17th-placed Palace "parked the bus – or three buses – in front of their goal" while pursuing a single point, Pulis's team did create a few chances. By their standards, they were appreciably more adventurous than when drawing 0-0 at Sunderland the previous week.

On another day the impressive Yannick Bolasie, whose shot brushed the crossbar, might have secured them a rare win. Tellingly, eight minutes after Ben Arfa's introduction, Pulis's new-found defensive worries precipitated Bolasie's withdrawal. Palace's attacking promise promptly exited stage left.

Man of the match Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/23/newcastle-hatem-ben-arfa-crystal-palace?

Its simple with Ben Arfa, put him in the team, give him the freedom to express himself without neglecting any team duties, and in time he will find a rhythm of form that will see him become our main man, a match winner, someone who will contribute goals and assists on a weekly basis in the same way Remy does now or Ba used to. Our f*** wit of a manager, however, cannot do that because he worries more about what his players do off the ball than on it. Just f***ing play the kid, on the right, and tell him to take on his man, get us goals and set them up. He has the tools to do it and then sum. DO IT before losing a player who can be the difference in the way Cabaye was or Remy is. God knows we need it.

This!

Its simple with Ben Arfa, put him in the team, give him the freedom to express himself without neglecting any team duties, and in time he will find a rhythm of form that will see him become our main man, a match winner, someone who will contribute goals and assists on a weekly basis in the same way Remy does now or Ba used to. Our f*** wit of a manager, however, cannot do that because he worries more about what his players do off the ball than on it. Just f***ing play the kid, on the right, and tell him to take on his man, get us goals and set them up. He has the tools to do it and then sum. DO IT before losing a player who can be the difference in the way Cabaye was or Remy is. God knows we need it.

Yep.  Totally agree.

There were two things I noticed on Saturday though.  First, I was surprisedthat quite often our players didn't pass the ball to him when he was free (as alluded to above).  Secondly,  Ben Arfa seemed a little reluctant to move to make himself available as often as I thought he might do/used to do.

Yep.  Totally agree.

There were two things I noticed on Saturday though.  First, I was surprisedthat quite often our players didn't pass the ball to him when he was free (as alluded to above).  Secondly,  Ben Arfa seemed a little reluctant to move to make himself available as often as I thought he might do/used to do.

And me, agree with all of this. Also given the fact that we gave up on the season a couple of months ago, play him every game, he is easily our best player on his day, we might find he has a real appetite to stay if he gets a good run out for the rest of the season.

'Hatem Ben Arfa waited, unmarked, on the right wing but Cheik Tioté ignored him and instead hit an optimistic pass towards a crowded penalty area. When Crystal Palace cleared with ease, Newcastle United's most creative player turned to the bench and shrugged'

That was worrying...he did it again with Anita. He didn't get the ball when he should have done so then decided to just not get involved in that attacking play when he could have moved elsewhere. Could see he was still a bit off the pace but the magic was still clear for all to see, hope he gets his starting birth back once fully fit. Gouffran is just offering nothing to the team atm, hasn't done for a while.

Ben Arfa's fitness has left something to be desired this season – although maybe his hamstring surgery last spring was more debilitating than advertised

He never had hamstring surgery.

"Today Hatem was really focused. He actually listened to my instructions and did what we asked.

"He's been out for some time with injury and he's been back home with his mother because she was ill but I've actually been getting on quite well with Hatem recently, probably the best I've got on with him. I've had a chance to sit down with him and talk and he's quite a nice guy when you have a real conversation about family and life, nothing to do with football. It's brought us closer together. You've got to get inside Hatem's head. You've got to give him a cuddle."

That's an interesting insight of how Carver views Ben Arfa.

I did notice that Ben Arfa passed the ball to his team mates quite a few times on Saturday where previously he'd have probably tried to do something on his own.

Encouraging quotes from Carver there.

Yes and no. "He actually listened to my instructions and did what we asked", "I've actually been getting on quite well with Hatem recently, probably the best I've got on with him." and "he's quite a nice guy when you have a real conversation about family and life, nothing to do with football" makes it sound like Ben Arfa doesn't usually follow Carver's instructions, Carver hasn't got on well with Hatem in the past and Hatem is a nice guy when you don't talk about football.

Head coach finally realises that one of our most important players.................is actually a nice guy.

What has he been doing for the past 2-3 years? Not talking to Hatem? What the fark is going on?