Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Some people just don't like flair players, plain and simple. It was the same with Robert, constant arguments with people who simply don't understand the game at the top level where ability is by far the most important attribute.

Tevez, when he was 22 :

"Pardew was always asking how we were and if we needed anything and for that I am grateful. But when the match came round, he would be more distant.

"I don't think he had a clear idea about my game or what to do. He was good football man but more suited to coaching English teams without foreign players with big reputations.

"I think that was a bit of a problem for him."

HBA is more talented than Robert ever was.

Hold on, do you remember how fucking good Robert was?

I totally get his point.

Ginola was more talented than Robert, yet Robert had a far greater end product.

Guest hatem garrincha

HBA is more talented than Robert ever was.

Hold on, do you remember how f***ing good Robert was?

I totally get his point.

Ginola was more talented than Robert, yet Robert had a far greater end product.

Agree again.

Robert was class in his day, but you can't compare him to Ben Arfa. Both two completely different types of player. I remember when we had Robert and Solano in tandem down either wing, we had two of the most potent wingers in Europe at that time (in terms of goals and assists)

Simply put, Robert was direct and lethal, whereas Ben Arfa is more flamboyant and anarchistic.  Both are/were extremely talented footballers with generally contrasting approaches.  If I had to pick one out of the two, I would firstly ask, what role am I selecting the player for?  If I was pressed without clear parameters I would go with Robert.  However, that isn't set in stone and I just wish Ben Arfa was given more time to prove himself.

Robert was class in his day, but you can't compare him to Ben Arfa. Both two completely different types of player. I remember when we had Robert and Solano in tandem down either wing, we had two of the most potent wingers in Europe at that time (in terms of goals and assists)

both also had forwards to play to and a midfield that got forward to give options also.

both also had forwards to play to and a midfield that got forward to give options also.

Agreed. Cabaye certainly seemed to be sitting much deeper today - why is beyond me.

Agreed. Cabaye certainly seemed to be sitting much deeper today - why is beyond me.

he's done that since about early october. we haven't comitted anyone forward from midfield this year.

Stoke do the same thing. Their two central midfielders aren't allowed to go out of a certain area of the pitch.

I don't think we're quite as restrictive but the same sort of principle applies. It's even more frustrating however because we have such quality in the centre of midfield.

Guest firetotheworks

HBA is what football is all about. I don't watch Barcelona because they win. Having said that, when it comes to NUFC I obviously always put winning before entertainment, but it's clearly obvious that with HBA we'd get both. Ryan Taylor is not and never will be what football is about to me, and we're a severely less threatening attacking side with HBA on the bench.

HBA is what football is all about. I don't watch Barcelona because they win. Having said that, when it comes to NUFC I obviously always put winning before entertainment, but it's clearly obvious that with HBA we'd get both. Ryan Taylor is not and never will be what football is about to me, and we're a severely less threatening attacking side with HBA on the bench.

Especially true away from home :bluestar:

Sorry VI :(

I thought he was shit today and proved why he's not getting a game.

That was the first competitive Football he's played in nearly a month.  Yet once again he still looked like our most likely player to score, but he was shit apparently because he didn't pop up after nearly a month on the sidelines and turn the game around in 25 minutes.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-rT9TaFuTglo/Tg1Rj6vZ2TI/AAAAAAAAAAA/dLrI4N2eDIo/s512/You+need+help%5B7%5D.jpg

Guest VaVaVoom

Oi Pardew play this lad you defensive fecker, a run of games and he'll be mint, stop fecking around with Raylor, Simpson and Shitebulb, hoy your rigid 4-4-2 and use the decent footballers you got.

You massive plank.

Pretty much how i feel.

I like AP but something happened today...An awakening to the bullshit. We have got to where we are this season on the ability of the players and a lot of good luck. I have to say now that i dont think AP has the tactical nouse nor the balls in selection to make us a regular top 6 side. The slide starts now....well....after the derby. ;)

Guest bimpy474

Oi Pardew play this lad you defensive fecker, a run of games and he'll be mint, stop fecking around with Raylor, Simpson and Shitebulb, hoy your rigid 4-4-2 and use the decent footballers you got.

You massive plank.

Pretty much how i feel.

I like AP but something happened today...An awakening to the bullshit. We have got to where we are this season on the ability of the players and a lot of good luck. I have to say now that i dont think AP has the tactical nouse nor the balls in selection to make us a regular top 6 side. The slide starts now....well....after the derby. ;)

I'm hoping he looks back at the game and it sinks in that hoofball isn't good enough, time for him to prove he isn't one dimensional, or will his ego let him......i'm just so depressed, and it wasn't the sight of Mrs bimpy's arse when i accidentally walk in the bathroom as she was talcing her unreachables that made me so.

Guest hatem garrincha

Hatem was scared, febrile, without rythm and the lack of confidence was flagrant. A very poor cameo facilitated by six months of Pardew mismanagement of the lad.

Sad really to hear the crowd roar agaisnt him.

The problem now is Pardew has painted himself into a corner with Ben Arfa. He's decided he won't fit into his system - which to be fair he can't, simply becuase the lad's not a direct football type. So to play him Pardew needs to adopt a more fluid passing game which he doesn't seem to know how to implement, so he reverts to the safe option of Ryan Taylor or more confusingly, Obertan instead.

Some people just don't like flair players, plain and simple. It was the same with Robert, constant arguments with people who simply don't understand the game at the top level where ability is by far the most important attribute.

those discussions about robert seem utterly absurd looking back now.

And bellamy as well. can't believe people backed souness.  :jesuswept:

They were absurd then IMO.

Ironically despite his "poor" cameo most of our play in that last twenty minutes revolved around him and we had our best spell of the game except maybe the first 15 minutes or so. Now that's probably due to us waking up a bit and putting in a bit of effort. Our whole play in those last 15-20 was so rushed and panicked due to us trying to suddenly get into top gear after coasting for most of the game and force a winner.

Like Pardew or not, we are capable of far better than that but our attitude to the game was all wrong. Someone like Ben Arfa would be far better from the start where the game is at a slower pace and we are not chasing a winning goal. He would then not be trying to force it and we can be a bit more patient with our build up. I still want to see him on the same pitch as Ba and Cisse.

However it was obvious he was rusty as fuck and i worry that his poor decision making (4 players in the box and he runs it out of play rather than cross/last minute of game running out of the play trying to take on too many players, etc) may count against him and once again see him frozen out for a few games. Which is a shame because mixed in with his little cameo were still flashes of brilliance that should be harnessed not buried.