Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

He probably feels he's in a situation where he can do no right. He's given barely any time on the pitch and in that short amount he must make every touch count. Either be hyper productive or risk being either hauled off or remain on the bench after the slightest mistake.

It's pathetic that the situation has got to this point.

He probably feels he's in a situation where he can do no right. He's given barely any time on the pitch and in that short amount he must make every touch count. Either be hyper productive or risk being either hauled off or remain on the bench after the slightest mistake.

It's pathetic that the situation has got to this point.

Saw signs today that he's beginning to lose his confidence. Sad.

Maybe hes playing like that in training, thats why he doesnt get onto the pitch.

Crazy idea obv, as it doesnt involve excusing him of anything slightly negative & blaming Pardew for everything. My bad.

Fucking pointless addition to the end of your post, like.

:lol:

One thing annoys me more than anything on here at present is the amount of people that keep repeating the Ben Arfa 'loses us possession' mantra. Someone, an eternal age ago, noted it in passing, he lost the ball, and now it is endlessly repeated as though it's a near criminal failing in his game.

I just watched a match where everyone gave the fucking ball away from time to time. Krul with almost every launched long ball, Tiote in a very dangerous position in our own half, Simpson with every abortion of a cross or mindless clearance, Wilkinson.. well, need I go on?

Look, we just can't risk playing Ben Arfa, he loses the ball too much. :jesuswept:

One thing annoys me more than anything on here at present is the amount of people that keep repeating the Ben Arfa 'loses us possession' mantra. Someone, an eternal age ago, noted it in passing, he lost the ball, and now it is endlessly repeated as though it's a near criminal failing in his game.

I just watched a match where everyone gave the f***ing ball away from time to time. Krul with almost every launched long ball, Tiote in a very dangerous position in our own half, Simpson with every abortion of a cross or mindless clearance, Wilkinson.. well, need I go on?

Look, we just can't risk playing Ben Arfa, he loses the ball too much. :jesuswept:

Appropriate username :lol:

I can't believe we're even discussing this tracking back nonsense. You've been fooled by Pardew's propaganda.

In one. We shouldn't be judging Ben Arfa on his tracking back, he should be sent out in a team that plays to his strengths, we don't need 11 defenders.

For all that was a generally poor performance from him he still made himself space to shoot and missed narrowly twice, I didn't see anyone else make themselves a yard and shoot in the second half. Again he's been brought on late and is under massive pressure to deliver, Ian's right, we can't judge him properly unless he's had a proper run. Even without that he's got assists and goals this season.

Worst thing about the position he finds himself in (as a wildcard alternative to plan A) is that I really don't think he's a natural impact player even without the added problem of his injury. Sure, we all know he's very talented and can produce moments of magic but he's not say a pacey winger or a big target man say who can come straight in off the bench and offer something different to change the pattern of a game. He's not a plan B, he's a player who needs to play a run of games together in a settled system playing to his strengths then over time you'll start getting a return on what he offers in terms of vision, creativity, dribbling, crossing, ball retention (yes, he does actually offer this despite what OptaStats or Pardew will tell you) and ultimately goals/assists. You'll still get the frustrating moments but ultimately if he's on the pitch enough you'll get more out of him.

Instead he's being thrown into a team that have a set routine and style of play and is asked to do too much. I don't mind him taking players on and losing it, or trying an adventurous pass - but there are some in the crowd that do and it's exagerrated because he's coming on at a time in the game where we're struggling and we're now looking at him to get it right immediately.

I think the situation is completely counterproductive to getting the best out of him and an example of terrible man management. It's getting to the point where I cynically but honestly think Pardew doesn't even want to try and is engineering a situation where Hatem comes off looking worse. If Ben Arfa is coming on for 20 minute periods when we're struggling and gives the ball away a few times it gives him the ready made get-out excuse to stick to what he knows.

Sounds like I'm just making excuses for the player and I'm sure there are many on here that will come out with the "gawd are you an NUFC fan or a Ben Arfa fan!?!" type comments but this is honestly how I feel the situation has arisen. I just don't buy the nonsense about him giving the ball away too much or not being able to play wide. It's all a load of shit, especially when the alternatives are Obertan and Ryan Taylor. Ben Arfa is the kind of player who I watch football for and it will make me very sad seeing him go at the end of the season, completely wasted and missmanaged. Some won't be bothered especially if the results continue to flow and we go on to a solid finish without him but for me I'll be gutted. This is a player who was desperate to sign for us and has all the attributes to be a roaring success here if managed in the right way.