Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I hope we get to see an even more confident Hatem this year. Ran rings with them at times and his speed, control and vision to pick a pass is obviously miles ahead.

A great player to watch today. What do people reckon is the reason behind him not playing? The stuff about his workrate, defensive shift blah blah blah, just seems a thin to me. Does Pardew simply not like his attitude? Something personal?

I think he's gradually getting into Pardews good books. He was quality today, I'm proud we have such a talented player on our books and I hope to god this is the start of him making a real impact in the league instead of fading away and being sold.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Try him on the left ffs.

I echo this sentiment.

I don't think it would work. Think he'll still cut inside but will be on his weaker foot, so he'll spend a lot of time going sideways instead of forward and not be able to get as many shots off.

Still though, he'll do better than Gutierrez has done as of late.

Why not?

I don't like him on the right either but also don't see why he can't partner Ba with Cisse left on the bench and Obertan on the right.

You don't like Ben Arfa on the right but you think we could drop Cisse for Ben Arfa and Play Obertan on the right.  :lol:

The distrust of him as a winger is becoming beyond absurd. He held the shape better and worked just as hard as any of our other options have done this season.

Fact is his control, passing, awareness and simply showing for possession instantly makes us a better side when he's on the pitch. That's without even touching on his dribbling and his actual threat to the opposition which is just several classes above any of the alternatives.

Try him on the left ffs.

I echo this sentiment.

I don't think it would work. Think he'll still cut inside but will be on his weaker foot, so he'll spend a lot of time going sideways instead of forward and not be able to get as many shots off.

Still though, he'll do better than Gutierrez has done as of late.

Ben Arfa's best game for us was from the left wing so I can definitely see the merit in playing him out there (and at the same time, moving Jonas to the right).

Why not?

I don't like him on the right either but also don't see why he can't partner Ba with Cisse left on the bench and Obertan on the right.

You don't like Ben Arfa on the right but you think we could drop Cisse for Ben Arfa and Play Obertan on the right.  :lol:

i don't particularly like Obertan either to be honest but if we're going to play HBA as a number 10 then going off todays performances i'd play him with Ba and leave Cisse out and play Obertan purely for his pace going forward.

Pardew reserved special praise, however, for Hatem Ben Arfa, who stepped off the substitutes' bench at half-time to produce an outstanding individual display full of creativity and threat in the final third.

"This guy is exceptional. I don't want our fans to start thinking I don't think this is a good player," explained Pardew.

"He is special and we have got to get him on the pitch. I've got to find a way of getting him on the pitch to play like that, because that was his best 45 minutes.

"We've got 11 games to go and he can cause some real damage. He was the big difference between the sides in terms of the technical quality.

"You need a technical player who can unlock the door - he did it about four times and we were unlucky not to get a goal in those moments. It was a big game for him."

Look, I know absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. But Obertan is absolutely terrible and there is nothing to do with him other than possibly an impact sub. I gave up fucking ages ago and I suggest you do too.

I am pretty sure he doesnt like the left either, sure i heard the reason he left Marseille was because he refused to play on the left.

Got nothing to say which has'nt already been said, needs to start makes us infinitely more dangerous when he plays.

Plus Ashley should be on about it to Pardew that he should be starting everyweek, if Ben Arfa cements a place in the team on the right then we wouldnt have to buy a winger in the summer lol.

i don't particularly like Obertan either to be honest but if we're going to play HBA as a number 10 then going off todays performances i'd play him with Ba and leave Cisse out and play Obertan purely for his pace going forward.

Obertan rarely uses his pace and his delivery is as rare as hens teeth because when he beats his man he'll let them back at him.

Guest fumiste

I am pretty sure he doesnt like the left either, sure i heard the reason he left Marseille was because he refused to play on the left.

Got nothing to say which has'nt already been said, needs to start makes us infinitely more dangerous when he plays.

Plus Ashley should be on about it to Pardew that he should be starting everyweek, if Ben Arfa cements a place in the team on the right then we wouldnt have to buy a winger in the summer lol.

HBA has always been better on the left side....He left Marseille because he had some troubles with Deschamps.

Guest VaVaVoom

The distrust of him as a winger is becoming beyond absurd. He held the shape better and worked just as hard as any of our other options have done this season.

Fact is his control, passing, awareness and simply showing for possession instantly makes us a better side when he's on the pitch. That's without even touching on his dribbling and his actual threat to the opposition which is just several classes above any of the alternatives.

Spot on.

Him comin on also seemed to bring Cabaye forward and into the game more. Much better shape.

Guest VaVaVoom

It's obvious that our central midfielders will prosper more with wide players offering pace and width.

Lets hope AP is going to realise this.

Based on what Pardew said it looks like whatever issue there was between them has gone, expect him to start next week. Think we'll see a much improved team performance next week.