Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Didn't really understand taking him off when we needed a goal, tired or not, he's always the most likely to open up a defence.

Can't wait to see a full season of him.

I responded the decision with my usual mega-rant every time Ben Arfa's withdrawn, but he'd ran out of steam and we were pumping balls into the box. Made sense to have that extra aerial presence in Shola.

I'd have replaced Jonas before Hatem tbh.

Didn't really understand taking him off when we needed a goal, tired or not, he's always the most likely to open up a defence.

I responded the decision with my usual mega-rant every time Ben Arfa's withdrawn, but he'd ran out of steam and we were pumping balls into the box. Made sense to have that extra aerial presence in Shola.

Jonas was at left-back by the time Shola came on (i think...). But meh, all relative. There was no getting past that defense.

I don't think his attacking game was really suited to the plan today really. I get the feeling that Pards wanted us to be cautious in possession, wary of their threats and that's not really his thing, he barely roamed which is a big part of his game imo.

His last 2 games have had to be very disciplined, hopefully he gets more freedom at Everton and we go 4-3-3.

Jonas was at left-back by the time Shola came on (i think...). But meh, all relative. There was no getting past that defense.

They came on together.

They put three defenders on him at times today. :lol:

He still put a couple of them on their arses. Although the players seemed to fall over a lot. Colo did a few times, including the one in which Toure should have scored :lol:

He's not great in matches where we are the inferior team. Not like I'd ever not start him, but he's fairly ineffective going forward when he doesn't have much time on the ball.

Or when we play 4-4-2 and every time he gets the ball he's in our own half.

Wireside claiming he was hauled off today. That bloke's a f***ing dickhead.

Why anybody follows that prick on Twitter is beyond me. I feel ashamed to even mention him in this post if I'm honest. Fucking degenerate.

three defenders thing was noticeable and to me i was saying from fairly early on i'd have moved him to the left to try and get crosses in

looked to me like he knew clichy had him beat for pace and the other defenders were preventing him doing anything tricky and cutting inside, i think we'd have been better served if he'd looked to make a yard and whip a cross in for cisse to try and get in on between the defence and keeper, an area we barely exploited at all yesterday

three defenders thing was noticeable and to me i was saying from fairly early on i'd have moved him to the left to try and get crosses in

looked to me like he knew clichy had him beat for pace and the other defenders were preventing him doing anything tricky and cutting inside, i think we'd have been better served if he'd looked to make a yard and whip a cross in for cisse to try and get in on between the defence and keeper, an area we barely exploited at all yesterday

I think our (correct) gameplan restricted him more than anything tbh, I have a feeling he had more instructions than usual yesterday to keep shape out wide and not try anything too daring so we wouldn't have been caught on the break. Just not really the right circumstances for him to shine, although he still produced some moments of quality.

I was as disappointed as anyone when he was brought off yesterday but tbf, in the minutes leading up to his substitution he looked absolutely shagged. Never seen him look so tired whilst trying to track back.

Guest BooBoo

As the game went on his influence was waning. It wasn't a huge surprise to see him hooked.

The reason Pardew was saying "Ben Arfa for France" in his interview was obviously because Ben Arfa wants to go to the Euros. If Ben Arfa hears Pardew singing his praises in the media it makes him happy. If Ben Arfa gets picked for France by playing for NUFC he's more likely to be happy playing here. Blanc is a moron if he doesn't see that's what Pardew is doing. It's no different to Mancini saying Man U have easy games left. It was designed to get Swansea and Sunderland to think "Easy? We'll show you!".

We didn't play long ball until Shola came on.

I disagree mind, Krul launched it long loads of times and it just kept coming back long before ameobi came on. When we attacked on the floor we caused them problems.