Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

If you are playing Anita-Tiote-Cabaye and play the way we did today i don't see how you can't get away with playing Ben Arfa even in Pardew's thinking.

You have 3 midfielders who keep the ball well, work hard and protect the defense very well.

I'd definitely bring him back in for Sissoko or Gouffran, but doubt it will happen.

If you are playing Anita-Tiote-Cabaye and play the way we did today i don't see how you can't get away with playing Ben Arfa even in Pardew's thinking.

You have 3 midfielders who keep the ball well, work hard and protect the defense very well.

I'd definitely bring him back in for Sissoko or Gouffran, but doubt it will happen.

This but Pardew's 4-2-3-1 is in reality a 4-5-1 tbh

Ben Arfa is the only one who gets central and tries to go past players. Anita/Tiote/Cabaye all pass it quick, get it wide, over the top or try a through ball. Ben Arfa tries to open up his own space, which can be quality. If he gets it wrong though its difficult, the opposition can break & they have options both sides to stretch us with. As opposed to if one of our wide players loses it.

Hes basically just more risky due to how he likes to play. Against a side like Man City i can understand it, as their ability to defend & counter may strongly counter what Ben Arfa can do offensively. Against weaker sides though you'd think the balance of what he brings going forwards & opening up space would often win out.

Guest bimpy474

This but Pardew's 4-2-3-1 is in reality a 4-5-1 tbh

No probs with that tbh. Should be 4-5-1 when you defend, it's just we dont get enough in the box when we attack. It's still feels like a 4-5-1 as well when we do (at times)

I honestly thought he was electric. Got a shot away, some class runs too. Shame he fell on his face.

Also, why the f*** is no one attacking the front post for the pass across?

That's been a consistent problem with us for a long time, most of our crosses and cutbacks are aimed near post and nobody ever runs there, they all seem to gather at the far post, that coupled with the fact that our final ball is horrendous 75% of the time means no success.

Ben Arfa is the only one who gets central and tries to go past players. Anita/Tiote/Cabaye all pass it quick, get it wide, over the top or try a through ball. Ben Arfa tries to open up his own space, which can be quality. If he gets it wrong though its difficult, the opposition can break & they have options both sides to stretch us with. As opposed to if one of our wide players loses it.

Hes basically just more risky due to how he likes to play. Against a side like Man City i can understand it, as their ability to defend & counter may strongly counter what Ben Arfa can do offensively. Against weaker sides though you'd think the balance of what he brings going forwards & opening up space would often win out.

That's what im saying with those 3 midfielders your not going to unlock much but you will always be solid defensively.

Don't see the problem with having Ben Arfa on the right ahead of those midfielders as they will cover him.

BTW i'm talking in general not today, didn't really have a problem with today we were just unlucky really.

Guest bimpy474

He's greedy because his cross was miss hit? :lol:

Baffling logic.

He's greedy because there was an unmarked NUFC player on the edge of the penalty area and he chose to try the 'Hollywood' ball rather than pass.

Erm, i think you dont really know what a Hollywood ball is if you think that was an attempt at one.

He's greedy because his cross was miss hit? :lol:

Baffling logic.

He's greedy because there was an unmarked NUFC player on the edge of the penalty area and he chose to try the 'Hollywood' ball rather than pass.

does this sort of thing far too many times in terms of % of choice he makes. A bit harsh to have a go at him today tbh, but same probs, just for a shorter time on the pitch.

I'm happy to take it back if someone can provide a screen shot of the moment proving me wrong but from where I sat in the Gallowgate the pass was the much better option. Ben Arfa did his apologetic hand wave gesture to the Gallowgate afterwards.

I went to the Cardiff FA cup game mainly as I wanted to see Ben Arfa play so I'm not a hater of his. Some people seem to think he is better than he is. At his best moments he's unplayable. Unfortunately he is not consistent. If he was he wouldn't be at NUFC. He needs to work on his decision making. He always seems to want to be the hero. If he is presented with the option of doing it himself or passing to a team mate he will usually try to do it himself. It's great when it works. It doesn't look good when it doesn't.

Guest neesy111

I'm happy to take it back if someone can provide a screen shot of the moment proving me wrong but from where I sat in the Gallowgate the pass was the much better option. Ben Arfa did his apologetic hand wave gesture to the Gallowgate afterwards.

I went to the Cardiff FA cup game mainly as I wanted to see Ben Arfa play so I'm not a hater of his. Some people seem to think he is better than he is. At his best moments he's unplayable. Unfortunately he is not consistent. If he was he wouldn't be at NUFC. He needs to work on his decision making. He always seems to want to be the hero. If he is presented with the option of doing it himself or passing to a team mate he will usually try to do it himself. It's great when it works. It doesn't look good when it doesn't.

:thup:

He's a good player on his day, but he's no-where near consistent enough to be a very good player.  I still maintain we are a better team collectively without him in the team.

Now we are losing is it not time to bring back our best player? The don't change a winning team excuse no longer holds.

aye, seasons awa tbh. might as well try owt. give him a go- 6 starts straight off. see if he can deliver.

He's a good player on his day, but he's no-where near consistent enough to be a very good player.  I still maintain we are a better team collectively without him in the team.

We're not.

Guest neesy111

We're not.

We are.  It's the only thing Pardew has got 100% right for me, we are more solid without him.

We're clearly not a better side without Ben Arfa in like. We may be a more industrious Pardew side as we're playing with 2 hard working/defensive wingers but there's not a chance that replacing HBA with Sissoko or Gouffran makes us a better team and allows us to play football at a higher level collectively. We're completely forgetting previous performances because Pardew harshly drops him after a bad game and we've picked up a few very good results without him.

He's not consistently unplayable and needs to work on his decision making, right everyone knows that, doesn't make him greedy because he took the wrong (in your opinion) option for a pass/cross.  Also the fact that he isn't consistently unplayable shouldn't keep him oh the bench..

As far as consistency goes and decision making that is only hindered further by being played so inconsistently by his manager.