NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Panic buys are by definition over priced and ill researched. We didn't make a single signing that wasn't great value or well planned. We just moved forward our plans.

The truth behind Newcastle’s interest in Remy, Kone and Ba

by MILES STARFORTH

[email protected]

LOIC Remy has been offered to Newcastle United – six months after he snubbed a move to the club.

The striker will leave relegated Queens Park Rangers this summer.

Remy – who has a £7m release clause in his Loftus Road contract – is being touted around Europe.

But Newcastle are unlikely to revive their interest in the 26-year-old – despite the pressing need to sign a forward in this summer’s transfer window.

Remy angered club’s officials with an 11th-hour change of heart in the last transfer window.

He had been expected to sign for the club from Olympique Marseille after discussions in France, but instead opted to move to QPR, who offered him a more lucrative contract than the Magpies.

There had been hopes that Newcastle would make early progress in its search for a striker.

However, there is growing unease on Tyneside at the lack of progress in the transfer market, which contrasts sharply with the early business done at rivals Sunderland and elsewhere.

The club this week lost out on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who yesterday joined Borussia Dortmund.

And the club’s interest in Wigan Athletic striker Arouna Kone appears to have cooled as quickly as it hotted up.

The Latic’s owner, Dave Whelan, yesterday claimed the Tynesiders had activated the the 29-year-old’s £5m release clause, and United had been given permission to talk to Kone.

However, Kone seems certain to join Roberto Martinez, his former manager, at Everton.

And a return to St James’s Park for Demba Ba – who left Newcastle for Chelsea – also seems unlikely.

Ba has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge in the wake of Jose Mourinho’s appointment as manager.

However, the 28-year-old is understood to be keen to stay and fight for his place at the club, though Anzhi Makhachkala are reportedly ready to make him a lucrative offer in a bid to persuade him to move to Russia.

United supporters - many still angry at the appointment of Joe Kinnear as director of football - are becoming increasingly frustrated as they wait for the club’s first senior summer signing.

Also, manager Alan Pardew, due back on Tyneside over the weekend, hasn’t given an interview all summer.

And the only senior voice from the club that fans have heard in recent weeks has been that of Kinnear, who himself is due to go on a holiday booked before his appointment.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-truth-behind-newcastle-s-interest-in-remy-kone-and-ba-1-5825825

And the only senior voice from the club that fans have heard in recent weeks has been that of Kinnear, who himself is due to go on a holiday booked before his appointment .

Still can't believe that, unreal man :lol:

2013-14 DVD will just be slow, grainy, black and white pan over an empty SJP while Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" plays on repeat for 2 hours.

Balls! Think we're in for a surprisingly good season if we can get in two purples.

2013-14 DVD will just be slow, grainy, black and white pan over an empty SJP while Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" plays on repeat for 2 hours.

Balls! Think we're in for a surprisingly good season if we can get in two purples.

Agree with ya.

Here's another comment piece from Mark Douglas which is also depressing in its content.

http://blog.sundaysun.co.uk/2013/07/silence-isnt-golden-in-newcast.html

Silence isn't golden in Newcastle's summer of discontent

By Mark Douglas on Jul 5, 13 03:51 PM

AROUNA Kone to Newcastle would have been a transfer that completed the Mike Ashley cycle.

The deal seemed to tick a lot of the Ashley boxes: cheap(ish) but useful, Wigan striker Kone would have been a very decent addition to Newcastle's squad. Not the high end replacement for Demba Ba they require, but an upgrade on what United had last season.

And as a final kicker, it was also a story broken by Ashley's new venture: Sports Direct News. So Newcastle fans despairing over their owner's profligacy in the transfer market are now drawn to a website advertising his leisurewear to read about said recruitment drive. It's pretty ingenious, and I'm sure he'll be using it again in the future to filter out Magpies news.

That slow meshing of the Sports Direct brand and Newcastle United has been going on for a long time, of course - never more so than when the stadium was renamed. But this new development shows very clearly where Ashley's motivation for keeping hold of Newcastle lies: it is a very smart marketing tool for his very, very successful business.

Whatever: the signing of a player like Kone would have been worth celebrating amid all the uncertainty and chaos of your typical murky Newcastle United summer. Alas, it didn't happen and enthusiasm remains at a low ebb. It is worrying.

Given that a top level French source told me the club had missed out on three French targets this week, they need a boost. The pack drill was no names but it seems likely that one was Marseille striker Pierre-Andre Gignac. One of the others was a centre-back, apparently but the other one seems to have been a younger player for the development squad.

How sorely Newcastle - in danger of running into a tide of negativity before a ball has been kicked - need something to come off soon.

It is not that new signings salve all of the wounds that Mike Ashley has re-opened this summer, you understand. But they might at least give the Magpies a fighting chance of generating some momentum in a close season that thus far, seems to have flattened any case for optimism.

I've seen the relationship between Ashley and Newcastle described in a searing editorial in the True Faith fanzine this week as a loveless marriage and it's a pretty appropriate analogy. Neither seems to want each other; neither seems to care for each other anymore. But the financial bottom line is enough to keep both parties involved for the moment.

What I don't understand is that if Ashley doesn't want to invest any more, why on earth is Joe Kinnear there? If he doesn't care, why throw Kinnear into the chaotic mix?

Eventually, someone who is employed by Ashley will have to put their heads above the parapet and formulate some kind of explanation but another week has passed without anyone of standing even mentioning the "K" word.

As we stand, Steven Taylor is the only serving Newcastle employee to pass any kind of comment on Kinnear - apart from the man himself. Derek Llambias did, of course, but his hearty welcome for the new Director of Football looks a bit empty in the context of his hurried resignation less than 24 hours later.

Sometimes, silence is golden. Sometimes, it says a lot more than words ever could and on this occasion it is an accurate reflection of the prevailing mood inside St James' Park. No-one knows, no-one dares speak: there appears to be an unreal air of uncertainty about the club and that, after a while, becomes corrosive.

Traditionally, Ashley has come to rely on Alan Pardew breaking cover in these circumstances. When Andy Carroll was sold, he defended the decision within 24 hours despite the fact it had made him look pretty helpless given his own forthright denials the striker would be sold.

Similarly, Pardew defended the sale of Kevin Nolan two summers ago. He was there when the Wonga announcement was made and trod a delicate and smart political line when the stadium was renamed too.

Kinnear's arrival is different, it seems. Three weeks on, he is still yet to name-check his new Director of Football. If you think that's just a happy coincidence, you might also be interested to hear Father Christmas doesn't exist. It is most definitely deliberate.

The result is unequivocal: another week passes with the fog of uncertainty refusing to shift over St James' Park. At some point, someone involved in this awkward dance will have to attempt to inject but there doesn't appear to be any undue haste from anyone involved at the moment.

Which is ironic, really, given that time is one thing Newcastle don't have. There is no more than five weeks until the start of the season and Newcastle have signed no-one, they've sold a reliable and versatile campaigner and they've said very, very little. All we have right now is the hope that Ashley is hiding another rabbit up his sleeve in the shape of new additions of the sort of calibre required to vanquish last season's demons.

Because in case you'd forgotten, Newcastle had problems before Kinnear came. Thus far, his addition to the mix has complicated an already unsettling situation.

Guest bimpy474

God it's depressing, i can't even look at the Mrs and think at least i have you. Makes me want to blow my brains out just as much as this club does.

I find the Douglas article a bit inconsistent. He's right in saying that Kinnear's sudden appearance on the scene has led to some uncertainty. It's like it's not clear who is in charge of transfers at the moment, and who is qualified to speak. However, the club has always been fairly secretive and leak-proof on transfer targets and this is no different. We're just lacking a decent spokesman to field the questions.

Sports Direct News came out with complete rubbish about Rooney a few weeks ago, and so we shouldn't assume that they're being used as a secret mouthpiece by the club. There's nothing to be gained on Ashley's part if the website acquires a reputation for being unreliable.

The 'missing out on three targets' bit can be read either way. It could mean that we're ambitious and going for targets that are beyond our reach (eg Aubemayang) or we're not prepared to fork out enough. With PEA, we have to face it that if the Champions League runners-up come in for a player, we stand no chance.

A loveless marriage indeed.

I'd love it to progress to battering, and if I had the chance to get my hands on Ashley it wouldn't stop there. I'd have to be dragged off before I killed the cunt!

Guest Roger Kint

God it's depressing, i can't even look at the Mrs and think at least i have you. Makes me want to blow my brains out just as much as this club does.

:spit:

:lol: I love Bimpy

A loveless marriage indeed.

I'd love it to progress to battering, and if I had the chance to get my hands on Ashley it wouldn't stop there. I'd have to be dragged off before I killed the cunt!

Bimpy has enough to worry about without you getting involved as mediator  ;D