Newcastle United 1 - 0 QPR - 15/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 42

Mike

A poor game for us but a big win.

Cabaye was pretty poor before he went off, how Guthrie got MOM is beyond me, half of his passes went way off, Simpson was the same and din't stop 1 cross from coming, Colo had to cover for him too many times. Santon was pretty decent coming forward. Ben Arfa and Jonas worked well together when they did work together but Ben Arfa sometimes just needs to learn to pass the ball instead of running into a wall of players. Best did alright, took his goal very well. Shola needs to learn to be able to turn a defender, how he stayed on a Best came off I'll never know.

We were so poor at attacking that at one point when we broke away from defending a corner Colo was the furthest player upfront.

Santon easily motm for me. Think he missed one pass. Great both defensively and offensively. The rest did a good enough job, bar Shola. I can't believe he's still getting games. I really, really can't grasp it.

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Williamson 7

Colo 7

Santon 8

Raylor 6

Cabaye (too little time, was alright when playing)

Guthrie 7

Jonas 7 (6 off 8 def)

Best 7

Shola 3

Ben Arfa 7

Krul  6

Simpson  6

Williamson  7

Coloccini  7.5

Santon  7

Raylor  6

Cabaye  5

Guthrie  7

Jonas  7.5

Ameobi  5

Best  8

Ben Arfa  6.5

Perch  6

Ben Arfa not a 6.5. He was on par with Jonas at least. Leon not an 8 - he had 2 or three good moments and of course scored, but there was the moment when HBA sent a fine through ball to him and he just f**ked it up - didn't shoot, nor passed to Strolla. 7 at max.

1-0 TO THE NEWCASTLE!

1-0 TO THE NEWCASTLE!

What a horrible, yet good, game.

QFT

Closed out the game in the second half in a manner that I was relaxed watching "noocastle" at 1-0 for the first time in my life.

This.

Didn't think we were ever in danger of conceding, and whilst I would have liked us to be a bit more attacking in the second half the most important thing was that we came away with a W.

Expect a similar type of performance next week at Fulham - hopefully with the same result.

For what it's worth, my thoughts looking in:

That was anything but an assured performance, but QPR were worse. They made us look dangerous in the striking department. Santon was your best player IMO, different class. Guthrie, Jonas and Best all had good games as well.

Krul  6 - not a lot to do really. Kicking was shit.

Simpson  6 - did what he needed to do

Williamson  6.5 - same

Coloccini  7 - same, plus good tidying up on a few occasions

Santon  7.5 - impressive charges forward and looked pretty assured defensively

Taylor  6 - quiet apart from a couple of good deliveries and a good attempt

Cabaye  5.5 - poor before the injury IMO

Guthrie  7 - did the simple things well after a shaky start

Jonas  7 - looked a threat on a number of occasions

Ameobi  4 - QPR's best defender

Best - 7 - excellently taken goal, kept the ball fairly well

Ben Arfa - 7 - very dangerous at times but very questionable decision making

Perch - 6 - not on for long, didn't inexplicably give a goal away

Pardew - 5 - Ben Arfa on the bench again and leaving Ameobi on were 2 awful decisions.

Overall: fairly poor performance but you can only play what's in front of you and today it was enough to beat a QPR side that is frankly a Championship side struggling to stay afloat in this league. They need some very quick changes if they're to avoid relegation.

Krul  6

Simpson  6

Williamson  7

Coloccini  7.5

Santon  7

Raylor  6

Cabaye  5

Guthrie  7

Jonas  7.5

Ameobi  5

Best  8

Ben Arfa  6.5

Perch  6

Ben Arfa not a 6.5. He was on par with Jonas at least. Leon not an 8 - he had 2 or three good moments and of course scored, but there was the moment when HBA sent a fine through ball to him and he just f**ked it up - didn't shoot, nor passed to Strolla. 7 at max.

Aye, right. I wonder who you signed up for.

Santon was wicked, I thought. Colo, Jonas and Best all good. Don't think it was that bad a performance at all, tbh. Bit boring and safe at times, but relatively professional from us, especially considering that, well, it's us.

We really need that new contract to Guthrie. Started rusty but he was great after Cabaye went off. Santon was good too.

Ameobi is just depressing. Even his running style makes me depressed. In my short life I'm sure I have watched Shola play football enough already.

Krul - 6. Needs to just pass it to the full back more. Claimed crosses well

Simpson - 6. Wasn't diabolical today. Shot was poor

Willo - 8. Exactly what I'd want from him. Solid, dominant in the air, simple.

Colo - 7. Solid defensively, did the transitional things well. Maybe, as captain, should be calming the team down and ordering them to keep the ball better. Especially should be telling Krul what to do.

Santon - 7. Got done a couple of times, but was very good going forward.

Raylor - 6. Average. Wasn't noticeable, but that's probably a good thing for him.

Guthrie - 8. I love this guy. Needs to play in a 3 with Tioté and Yohan.

Jonás - 6. Did ok today. Worked hard, but still needs to do more creatively

HBA - 6.5. Great skills and that, but he wasn't involved for the last half an hour, but that was through no fault of his own.

Best - 7. Class goal, and looked good.

Shola - 3. Upsetting

Santon was wicked, I thought. Colo, Jonas and Best all good. Don't think it was that bad a performance at all, tbh. Bit boring and safe at times, but relatively professional from us, especially considering that, well, it's us.

It was a very professional performance. I reckon we could have gone blood and guts and annihilated them today, but one or two were short of their best and we simply didn't. Same result though; that's fair enough imo. Job done.

We really need that new contract to Guthrie. Started rusty but he was great after Cabaye went off. Santon was good too.

Ameobi is just depressing. Even his running style makes me depressed. In my short life I'm sure I have watched Shola play football enough already.

You'll be wacthing the running style for a lot longer!!! Even if Shola's gone some day there's Sammy to keep the ghost of Ameobi family at SJP:)