Fulham vs. Newcastle United - 21/01/12 Pre-match.

wormy

Gonna be depressing watching Best and Shola up top after all the excitement about having the Dembii.

Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back and nick a win, draw would be a good result though tbh.

Guest magpie99

We rarely do well here. I can on;y remember coming back from 2-0 to win 3-2 under SBR and a 3-1 win the under Souness. Ohh, and a really really boring 1-0 win with a last minute penalty from Barton under BSA. All the rest, I think we have lost in recent years

A draw would do me, TBH

Isn't dembele out for this game?

He's a doubt but not definitely out.

If he plays he can cause us all kinds of problems. Good player who along with Murphy and Ruiz can spot a pass.

Woud'nt mind him in our side next season :D

Is he that bad?

Gosling? Yes. I have lost all faith... Not knee jerk at all. :shifty:

Haven't 100% written off gosling yet but he has been poor. Prefer to see Mehdi if possible as he looks pretty decent. Need to see more of him.

Ben arfa needs to start prefferably ly on the right wing. Shola was poor last game. Maybe start with him again and if it looks like more of the same try Vuckik again or put ben arfa central

Krul

Simpson.  Willi colo.  Santon

Ben arfa. Cabaye. Guthrie. Jonas

Best.    Shoal

Harper perch ferguson Mehdi gosling obertan Taylor

We need to another CB asap, ridiculous if we don't get one before the window shuts. Ridiculous we didn't get one in the last window. Don't want another repeat of the norwich game where we have perch and simpson at CB : (

Simpson

I watched Fulham at Chelsea and they have some really good young players. Since that game though they appear they have been shit.

That Kerim Frei looks a very good prospect. Quick, tricky and direct.

Is he that bad?

Gosling? Yes. I have lost all faith... Not knee jerk at all. :shifty:

Would still rather have him in midfield than Ryan Taylor. Pardew will almost inevitably find a way to shoehorn him into the team, but even with the players we have away he should not be getting in the eleven.

I think the best we can hope for is:

Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Colo, Santon; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Guthrie, Jonas; Best, Shola

Then if he wants to play that 4-5-1 again Jonas can go into the middle with Best on the left. If we did start like that then Shola should drop out and one of Gosling/Abeid/Obertan come in, but the reality is that Raylor would keep his place so I'd rather we didn't.

It is difficult to describe how much I hate Ryan Taylor as a footballer - he is a championship level player. So he strikes the ball well - that should be a given as a professional footballer. He is such a one dimensional footballer; immobile, not a great tackler, doesn't read the game particularly well, does not have the agility or speed to change direction quickly meaning he cannot beat a man nor recover quickly if someone goes past him. I could go on...but I would only wind myself up more!

I know he has scored important goals this season, but we have Hatem and Yohan who can step up for free kicks and corners.

He's not that bad :lol: Easily good enough to be on the bench, way above Championship level.

Also, Yohan's corners have been mostly pathetic this season, Raylor's had much better corners so far this season.

He's not that bad :lol: Easily good enough to be on the bench, way above Championship level.

Also, Yohan's corners have been mostly pathetic this season, Raylor's had much better corners so far this season.

Maybe he is just my scapegoat, but I don't think he should be a regular starter in a premiership side, unless it is a very poor one - not sure he was even a guaranteed starter when he was at Wigan? He might be good enough to be on the bench, but unless Simpson got injured there isn't anytime I would ever like to see him come on.

I take your point regarding Yohan's corners not being great, but I thought in the first half against Blackburn in the FA Cup Hatem whipped in some in-swinging corners that were excellent - would like to see more of those.

I'd say we're looking at a 0-0 draw in this one. I'd probably be satisfied with a point but if we can nick all 3 I'd be chuffed to bits. Without Demba I just struggle to see a genuine goalscoring threat in our team. Shola and Best are capable of the odd bit of magic but ultimately they are both inconsistent.

Last year when we lost to that prick Duff's goal it was the worst game I think I've seen live! Add to the fact I was in their "neutral" end it wasn't the best of experiences! Hoping for some revenge here, but they're quite a tidy unit. Still sticking by my 2-1 win :)

Guest optimistic nit

Think Raylor has played pretty well this year. Solid and dependable.

two words that never should be used in the same sentance as ryan taylor. don't get me wrong i think he has had an above average season and is a good squad player, but if there are two things he definately isn't it is solid and dependable.

Think Raylor has played pretty well this year. Solid and dependable.

Totally disagree. He was the weak link in that back four when he was at left back and it was the form of Taylor/Krul/Colo that allowed us to make such a good start. We went 12 games unbeaten in spite of Ryan Taylor, not because of any contribution by him. The drop in form of Jonas was also in no small part down to the fact the he had to cover for the man behind him. A 'solid and dependable' full back does not need a winger babysitting him.

Simpson is an example of someone who could just about be described as solid and dependable at right back this year.