Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Fwiw Bellamy and Robert still haven't been replaced 9 years later and if we turned their clocks back a decade or less and signed them they'd be our best 2 players, even in our best side since Bobby. Says a lot about the fans that wanted them both gone so the likes of Shola and N'Zogbia could prosper.

Would have fitted right in with this current mindset of the club. Remember losing at Wolves in the FA Cup 3rd Round and him walking off grinning pointing to the Premier League badge, "that's what it's about".

I like how this idea is getting pushed that it's the club hierarchy that is responsible for Pardew's shocking cup record at Newcastle rather than his general incompetence in this type of competition.

Guest bimpy474

Would have fitted right in with this current mindset of the club. Remember losing at Wolves in the FA Cup 3rd Round and him walking off grinning pointing to the Premier League badge, "that's what it's about".

I like how this idea is getting pushed that it's the club hierarchy that is responsible for Pardew's shocking cup record at Newcastle rather than his general incompetence in this type of competition.

Pardew does have a problem with getting the team up for FA and derby games especially. We been rank in them ever since he came in, the over the wall game being the one exception.

He's average, he'll work hard for the team, has pace and will chip in with a few goals. Around 6 million pound for him?

You've just described Craig Bellamy before he signed for us

I was never a Bellamy fan, even back when he played for us. However i can't deny what a huge impact he had on us, was a perfect fold for Shearer. Saying this Long is nowhere near as good as Bellamy.

How could you not be a Bellamy fan?

He transformed our team from mid-table to one of the best in the country. Best signing we've made in the past 15 years.

Bellamy and Dyer in 2001/02  :smitten:

Don't get me wrong i appreciated what a huge player he was in our side and how much he aided Shearer. I was just never fan of his overall ability. He used to miss chance and chance, his finishing really pissed me off but the amount of goals Shearer scored on the back of Bellamy's pace was brilliant. Was an excellent partnership.

What mainly got me more was the fact I loved Robert the most in our side whilst my mate I went with hated Robert but then Bellamy was he favourite. So we used to always wind each other up over Robert/Bellamy. Fantastic side, great memories.

Bet the people of your two villages loved matchdays when the idiots went off together and gave them some respite.

Guest bimpy474

Key differences.....

1. Bellamy was 22 when he signed for us and Long is 27.

2. Long has never been the all round player Bellamy was.

Another reason why goals is such an important point is we don't have Shearer to score 20+ without blinking anymore, so its much more important to score  at least double figures now than it was then. ( not to mention the midfield shits all over the current one)

Long is an average mid table player, which is why he's gone to Hull. If you want to improve above 8th place you don't buy players from the bottom half.

No you loan them from the Championship  :laugh:

Key differences.....

1. Bellamy was 22 when he signed for us and Long is 27.

2. Long has never been the all round player Bellamy was.

Another reason why goals is such an important point is we don't have Shearer to score 20+ without blinking anymore, so its much more important to score  at least double figures now than it was then. ( not to mention the midfield shits all over the current one)

Long is an average mid table player, which is why he's gone to Hull. If you want to improve above 8th place you don't buy players from the bottom half.

I agree about Long but your last sentence is preposterous.

Bet the people of your two villages loved matchdays when the idiots went off together and gave them some respite.

Robert always got stick when he didn’t show up or if we conceded when he didn't track back. I just accepted it. Like i said in the Man Utd, i'd have no harm in players like Robert just standing near the half way line half arsed about tracking back. Robert couldn't give a shit for his defensive duties, when he did go back he would only put a stupid tackle in then the fans would complain more. I never moaned at him for his work rate, accepted that was the type of player he was. Some games he’d be unplayable, other games he’d look like he wasn’t as up for it. Rough with the smooth.

I just criticised Bellamy's finishing and cuntish ways basically. His work rate was excellent and he helped Shearer a lot. Always felt he was nothing great, like Dyer, but was crucial to our side. I just adored the abilities of Robert/Solano/Shearer more. Everyone has their favourites, Dyer/Bellamy just weren't mine.

Imagine if SBR thought like you when he signed Bellamy.

I always used that signing as a benchmark for SBR's knowledge of football. Most manager's wouldn't touch Bellamy for £6m after he flopped at Coventry after making the step up a division, but Bobby had no doubts. A true footballing coach of international calibre.

Brett really needs to stop talking like Bellamy was only useful for creating space for Shearer.

That was the best thing i gave him credit for, but then a time came i wanted Shearer dropped and Kluivert put in with Bellamy instead. I never thought Bellamy was a great striker or one of the leagues best but in our side he was absolutley vital. His pace is what frightened defenders the most, not the fact he could score from anywhere or see passes others couldn't.

Incidentally, Bellamy wasn't a natural finisher by instinct (Souness also picked up on this) , but he had so many other qualities it's ludicrous to focus only on that. Fantastic movement, lethal pace, good football brain and a rocket of a left foot.

Obviously he had other qualities, you can't just have pace and expect to have such an impact. His off the ball movement was top draw like you say but that fits in to why Shearer got so many goals as he took defenders away and made them focus on him.

For a similar type of career, i always preferred Robbie Keane over Bellamy, as controversial as that maybe. I think Keane had more about him.

Not at all. Not even similar types of players. Keane had some skill and great touches but was primarily just a good finisher. All round game Bellamy beats him hands down.

Bellamy was better at what he did than Keane was at what he did. Obviously i'm biased but I saw a prime Bellamy week-in week-out tear teams to shreds.

I just prefer more of a Robbie Keane, obviously not in our side because i couldn't imagine many players filling Bellamy's boots. However it's two players who have gone around the clubs be it on loan or for hefty transfer fees.

Always been a big admirer of Keane though, had the pace, good technical ability, could come deep, could poach, could stretch a defence. Think it's remarkable amount of goals he's got on the international stage as well.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Incidentally, Bellamy wasn't a natural finisher by instinct (Souness also picked up on this) , but he had so many other qualities it's ludicrous to focus only on that. Fantastic movement, lethal pace, good football brain and a rocket of a left foot.

Right-footed no?

I think Bellamy was targeted originally in 2000 because Bobby knew Shearer was pretty finished as an athlete and needed someone who'd be able to put pressure on the CBs all game and be unselfish in the final third. Bellamy benefited so much from his stint here, though. By the time he left he was on course for over 20 goals that season.

Smashing player, really. I'd urge anyone to watch the 02-03 season in particular. Bellamy didn't get that many of our goals but he played a part in an absolutely staggering amount of them through his pace, energy and creativity. I don't think I'll ever see a better second striker in our colours than 93-95ish Beardsley but Bellamy came pretty close.