sunderland

JH

Guest neesy111

Didn't One'Nil encourage their drinking culture? I'm sure he said something about how it builds team spirit :lol:.

Straight from the Brian Clough school of management that.

He will need players who are desperate to play in the PL, because you'd have to be mad to (a) join Sunderland and (b) join a team managed by Paulo Di Canio.

Waving a big contract might convince a few mind.

i.e. more over priced dross. 

And even today there are footballers with principles who will refuse to associate with his fascist leanings. Tough times ahead.

Didn't One'Nil encourage their drinking culture? I'm sure he said something about how it builds team spirit :lol:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9918903/QPR-v-Sunderland-manager-Martin-ONeill-says-alcohol-is-good-for-team-building.html

Martin O’Neill has refused to condemn English football’s drinking culture as he revealed Brian Clough threatened to fine players at Nottingham Forest who did not go on a team night out.

Bit of a shock going straight  from that attitude to Di Canio's

MON whilst with us also never used to believe in things like extra training sessions after a defeat. In fact, his reaction to a bad defeat was to send everyone home for a few days.

Can't remember which departing player it was, but one of the bozos we have shipped out recently said that if they got beaten on a Saturday, they'd quite frequently not have to train till Wednesday, and they wouldn't see the manager at all till Thursday.

Basically, he'd just let Bibs and Cones (Walford and Robertson's nicknames from the players)  'organise' the training.

That is probably why Houllier was so shocked by the lack of professionalism, and why certain players (two easy to guess first choice defenders) rolled up to training one day still pissed, and why a team bonding day ended up with a first team squad member punching Gordon Cowans.

If there's one member of the Villa coaching staff over the last few years you don't want to be punching, it is Cowans.

You also do have to wonder how much discipline there was around when MON got into a training ground fight with Nigel Reo-Coker.

:lol: O'Neill is so backwards. Aren't there multiple peer-reviewed studies showing that the effects of a proper drinking night can last up to a week? Especially the dehydration which normally lasts up to a few days.

That's what Di Canio was talking about when describing hungover players as being "blurry for three or four days" in that press conference.

You'd think in this day and age, with all of our access to medical and sports science, that in-season drinking bans would be almost universal for professional athletes. I mean, I don't get drinking myself, but it boggles my mind that people being paid squillions of dollars are willing to degrade their ability to perform at peak ability for the sake of... whatever drinking does for you.

I still think the Di Canio thing will all end in tears for Sunderland but I've got respect for him taking the stance he is taking.

So have I.

He shouldn't be doing it all in public, and so emotionally, though. That's going to end in a bad place.

MON whilst with us also never used to believe in things like extra training sessions after a defeat. In fact, his reaction to a bad defeat was to send everyone home for a few days.

Can't remember which departing player it was, but one of the bozos we have shipped out recently said that if they got beaten on a Saturday, they'd quite frequently not have to train till Wednesday, and they wouldn't see the manager at all till Thursday.

Basically, he'd just let Bibs and Cones (Walford and Robertson's nicknames from the players)  'organise' the training.

That is probably why Houllier was so shocked by the lack of professionalism, and why certain players (two easy to guess first choice defenders) rolled up to training one day still pissed, and why a team bonding day ended up with a first team squad member punching Gordon Cowans.

If there's one member of the Villa coaching staff over the last few years you don't want to be punching, it is Cowans.

You also do have to wonder how much discipline there was around when MON got into a training ground fight with Nigel Reo-Coker.

Unbelievable from a Premiership club that.

On the subject of Dickie Dunne, what's he up to these days?

Trying to maneouvre his fat arse through the door marked EXIT by all accounts.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-richard-dunne-told-3897597

Shame. Had one exceptional season for us, then ruined it with his lack of professionalism. He was always shockingly out of shape at the start of seasons. I believe he was actually the heaviest player in the PL, and it is not remotely surprising.

Guest WashyGeordie

Clive Mendonca (sunlan' legend) was apparently in Nissan today for a line-trial. Apparently got a gambling problem and wasted all his money too.

Guest WashyGeordie

Clive Mendonca (sunlan' legend) was apparently in Nissan today for a line-trial. Apparently got a gambling problem and wasted all his money too.

Clive Mendonca who scored a hat-trick against Sunderland in the play-off final?

Yep :)

Guest Howaythetoon

He's doing it the wrong way but he's absolutely right with his comments and while I've previously said this ubber disciplinarianism seems like an act of his, perhaps its not. Either way, footballers are far too pampered and there is a huge lack of professionalism in the game.

Players who are potential transfer targets for Sunderland will probably be very wary of signing for a club where the manager is a strict disciplinarian.

Di Canio slagging off all the players he wants rid of will drive down the prices Sunderland will get for those players (if they can sell them). A bit like Harry Redknapp slagging off the QPR squad.

Players who are potential transfer targets for Sunderland will probably be very wary of signing for a club where the manager is a strict disciplinarian.

Di Canio slagging off all the players he wants rid of will drive down the prices Sunderland will get for those players (if they can sell them). A bit like Harry Redknapp slagging off the QPR squad.

Fucking loony more like it.

Still the macums seem to think he's even more of a god than O'Neill was just a short while ago  :D

Ferguson was the strictest disciplinarian going IMO, it did them no harm.  Just have to have the right culture, team, environment, success and this approach works very well IMO.

Ferguson's style seems very different to PDC though.  I can't imagine Fergie just going out and looking for every little excuse to bollock and fine his players.  They may have got the hairdryer treatment on occasion but it was generally justified.  Fining players 2 weeks wages for being a bit late or not signing some memorabilia is absurd.  He's just picking fights to try and enhance his own reputation as a disciplinarian.

Basically, Ferguson would be hard for the good of the team, Di Canio does it for the glorification of Paolo.