sunderland

JH

One thing I will say, I wish it was MON still in charge of them when we gave them that spanking last night.

Didn't Di Canio say something disrespectful about you when he was Swindon manager?

Came on the pitch after our game there in the league cup, started gesturing at our fans to suggest we were going to get relegated.

@MsiDouglas: Journal story this morning: Pop Robson and #safc scouting network sacked. More details shortly.

Sacking your entire scouting network is a good way to boost the confidence of the players they brought in :lol:

That's the sort of thing MON would have done, mostly because he didn't ever have one when he was with us, and I don't imagine he changed significantly up there.

His spending record there was abysmal. I would imagine that for the 12-13m he paid for Fletcher, for the same price we got Benteke, Westwood, and Lowton, with a few quid to spare.

That's the thing above all that left me with a bitter taste about O'Neill.

Under him, it'd be most obvious, zero scouting, no effort signing, every time. The Crewe manager said that when we signed Westwood, they didn't even know how interested we'd been, but it turned out Lambert's scouts had put together a thick document analysing him over 30 games. That would have been unthinkable under MON

Sunderland's problem is that they're carrying the dross of Bruce AND the unimaginative two or three signings O'Neill made. We are still suffering the effect of some of his big money, big wage, unproductive signings. I don't think Sunderland will shake that problem off in a hurry.

One thing I will say, I wish it was MON still in charge of them when we gave them that spanking last night.

Didn't Di Canio say something disrespectful about you when he was Swindon manager?

Came on the pitch after our game there in the league cup, started gesturing at our fans to suggest we were going to get relegated.

1:50

Worra cunt. :lol:

If there's anyone you want taking you into a cup final scenario it's Paolo "I'm just waving" Di Canio. If you listen to his pre-match discourse, he talks a lot about cup finals, and how Monday was: "Like Sunderland's Champions League final."

If I was being cynical, I'd say there's an underlying belief that few if any of his players match the standard he is after. Instead of trying to compare in a more scientific way, he draws on the connotations of cup games - form going out the window, it all being about who performs on the day. Even the way they've played in the last two games (prior to tonight) has been with the mentality of a lower league side in the cup. They've had total disregard for the future or what running themselves into the ground might do.

Admittedly the running is organised, quite well in fact, but with players who aren't up the levels of peak physical fitness you can't maintain that for more than an hour at best. I'd be keen to see what his media style is like this week. He's already removed all pressure from the players by taking the blame himself (a clever move I think).

I'd expect similar cup-style comments this week, before they go out and potentially give Stoke a battle. Assuming they stay up (I think they will), the true evaluation of Di Canio will come next season. His transfer strategy was criminally poor at Swindon, he bused in almost two dozen players and ruffled a few feathers by giving preference to loan players for their trip to Wembley.

He's going to have get his transfer decisions spot on, although realistically, it wouldn't be hard to improve most positions in that side right now. Bar Rose, Mignolet, Sessegnon, Johnson (occassionally)  and Fletcher they're all quite average.

Spot on. :thup:

Let's see where they are this time next year, if he's even there that is. They've had 2 great results based on pretty much everything going right for them on the day, 2 under-performing opposition teams and a new sense of urgency (playing for a manager they give 2 hoots about). He may do well, yep, but there's every chance he'll struggle next year when the pressure actually mounts - when passion and hoping the other team isn't on form just won't suffice.

Sunderland only really need a point tbh and will get one in next couple home games. Us however dear me

We're talking about Wigan catching us, which means probably catching them as well if they only got a point.

Wigan catching us would amost certainly mean they have better goal difference than us but not than the Mackems.

Exactly this. I think Wigan get six points max (and I don't think they even get that), which means that I reckon Sunderland just need a point to be safe.

Still can't see past Wigan for relegation.

Guest WashyGeordie

Sunderland only really need a point tbh and will get one in next couple home games. Us however dear me

We're talking about Wigan catching us, which means probably catching them as well if they only got a point.

Wigan catching us would amost certainly mean they have better goal difference than us but not than the Mackems.

Exactly this. I think Wigan get six points max (and I don't think they even get that), which means that I reckon Sunderland just need a point to be safe.

Still can't see past Wigan for relegation.

Or us if we don't pick up another point. :(

Last night was their Champions League final and they got humped 6-1? :yao:

Conceded six, had a key player sent off for a daft tackle and firmly back in the relegation shite. Sounds pretty familiar.

i think that'll probably be the most significant outcome of last night for them.

Was talking to a rather mild mannered and totally neutral bloke from the south of England and conversation got to my grave concerns for our survival prospects. Almost out of character he said that they all hope it's Sunderland who go down after appointing a fascist scumbag.

The North East press may be kissing his arse and the Sunderland propaganda machine doing their best to silence any critics, but it seems that as witnessed at Villa the other night, the average working class football fan still knows a little bit about history.