The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

Fabregas was terrible today by the way. I remember some people saying he was as good as if not better than Xavi/Iniesta - he's miles away from those two. Miles.

Neither Xavi or Iniesta were brilliant, either tbf. It was all rather tight and scrappy once every one got in front of Chelsea's penalty area, Barca didn't really show the quality to break down Chelsea's midfield three and defenders through the center.

Point still stands. He's miles away from those two.

I've never been a fan of Iniesta on the wing either. Seems such a waste to put him there just because of his fantastic dribbling and close control.

Fabergas seems to have disrupted the shape somewhat, was much further forward than messi most the time, and as good as Messi is passing it about midfield, know which one I'd want in front of goal.

Wingers did nothing either, far too easy to defend, far too unwilling to get shots, slowed it down too much, but nervous of Chelsea on the counter so didn't risk too much.

Doubt they'll be so nervous at Camp Nou, but not sure about the team shape at all.

Fair play to Chelsea, put in a hell of a shift tonight. Yes, they got lucky because Barca's finishing was fucking woeful, but it makes for a very interesting 2nd leg.

Man of the match award goes to the ground for taking some brutal hits from Drogba's flailing carcass.

Barcelona at home this season:

P30 W27 D3 L0 F104 A16 GD+88

Youve got to wonder about La Liga with those stats, and Messi's 41 goals. I mean, i think they are the best team in Europe, and absolute quality to watch, but 104 goals in 30 games, and only 16 against? eh?

Youve got to wonder about La Liga with those stats, and Messi's 41 goals. I mean, i think they are the best team in Europe, and absolute quality to watch, but 104 goals in 30 games, and only 16 against? eh?

:dowiespin:

That's all comps BTW.

Chelsea's hard work, and they did play very well, despite the Barca bum boys' mackem-esque attitudes blinding their objectivity, will be undone in under ten minutes next week, most likely. Nothing to worry about. Even if they somehow get through, Madrid will match their physicality and have better quality all over the pitch.

Drogba put in a 10/10 performance tonight. He did what he had to do for his team and did it perfectly. Not nice but I'd be fucking loving it if he played for us, experience, quality and gamesmanship in equal measure. Tactics not unfamiliar to Barca I might add.

3 team league.

They'll get bummed in Barcelona like. Kidding themselves of they think otherwise. Managed to survive by defending on their small pitch, 28% possession. 3-0 is my best guess.

2-1

Torres

Well done to Chelsea, but and theres a huge but as far as the whole tie is concerned...... despite parking the bus, Barca still created 5 or 6 relatively easy chances that usually they would put away on a very small pitch.....

1. The pitch is not only quicker but its wider

2. If they create similar chances in the 2nd leg i dont see them choking infront of goal again.

Good luck to Chelsea but unless they score atleast once and i mean that because iam not sure 2 goals over the 2 legs will be enough.

Also Fabregas showed tonight and has done most of the season why i said Barca should'nt sign him, he is never a CM in a million years and he needs space to operate and at Barca you dont have space.

When it comes to finding space in tight areas, pressing, decision making he is not even as good as Thiago atleast for Barca.

Cracking player in final third mind ( although he was shit there tonight) if Pep has any sense at all he will play Pedro/Cuenca/Sanchez in two of the wide areas and play Iniesta in midfield.

I facepalm everytime i see Iniesta outwide its just a waste of time.

I think the second leg will be either 2-1 Barca or 3-1 Barca. I think Barcelona should dominate possession and be more decisive in front of goal at home, but I have no trust in their backline at all. I honestly believe Chelsea will carve out dangerous chances whenever they manage to get forward. Should be a brilliant game, imo. It is set up brilliantly and can go either way.

Gutted that Chelsea scraped the win tonight, Barca should've had that won. They'll still go through, thankfully.

Yet another tough game for Chelsea can only be good for us. They've got loads of big games coming up and it's bound to take it's toll on them eventually. They'll need to prioritise and could well sacrifice the league and go for the FA Cup and the CL. There's some old legs in that team...

It's an interesting conundrum for Abramovich, who is desperate for the Champions League. But will he sacrifice Europa League football next season on the still unlikely hope they'll get past both Barca and (probably) Real? I think he probably would, bearing in mind they'd have the same obstacles next season. That should be a big help to us.