Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

All Hail Mathieu! Thank god we finally have a fullback which hopefully won't be run over constantly. (Santon does compensate with his offensive qualities although he was pretty shit today tbf)

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes

Pardew on Debuchy: “fingers crossed he passes the medical, that’s probably key to that." Says personal terms talks "have gone well."

He'll probably jump in front of the Metro just to fail the medical now.

Guest Nikos34

I seriously hope this guy does sign more than ever now mind. 6 months too late like!

I liked what I saw of him at the Euros, was always available and wanted to bomb on at every opportunity. He seemed refreshingly more aggressive than the average French mercenary too.

After tonight I bet he's itching to get out there and rampage down the right flank with Willo.

I seriously hope this guy does sign more than ever now mind. 6 months too late like!

I liked what I saw of him at the Euros, was always available and wanted to bomb on at every opportunity. He seemed refreshingly more aggressive than the average French mercenary too.

After tonight I bet he's itching to get out there and rampage down the right flank with Willo.

he's not going to be a massive change on the defensive side (apart from the oppo being more wary of him getting the ball)

I hope Cabaye is employing his powers of persuasion to the fullest extent. So to speak.

It's a good thing we've got Cabaye here really otherwise I wouldn't have envisaged Debuchy ever coming here.

Having said that, it will be a happy day when he signs.

Guest Nikos34

he's not going to be a massive change on the defensive side (apart from the oppo being more wary of him getting the ball)

I think its this attitude that full backs have to be stoppers first and foremost is what has been our downfall for some time now.

In any wide position its essential for a player to be skillful and creative. Whether he can then go and kick lumps off the opposition winger comes secondary to me.

If we'd have set up from the off this season with 3 centre backs and Santon & Fergie as wing backs, our league position would be much healthier right now. Its a back 3 that provides good defensive cover at all times. A system we never seem to want to play!

I think its this attitude that full backs have to be stoppers first and foremost is what has been our downfall for some time now.

In any wide position its essential for a player to be skillful and creative. Whether he can then go and kick lumps off the opposition winger comes secondary to me.

If we'd have set up from the off this season with 3 centre backs and Santon & Fergie as wing backs, our league position would be much healthier right now. Its a back 3 that provides good defensive cover at all times. A system we never seem to want to play!

definitly, full backs are the new goalkeepers in that they are so important but don't get the recognition, financially and tactically. (diagree re ferguson though, like the lad but think he needs time on loan)

I don't think I've ever seen a team in the PL _choose_ to play with a back 3, would love to see us try it... if we had the personnel for it anyway (us having 3 good and healthy centerbacks, haha).

definitly, full backs are the new goalkeepers in that they are so important but don't get the recognition, financially and tactically.

:thup: Been saying that for a while, ridiculous how teams ignore how important they are.

It's no coincidence that the best teams have f*cking quality attacking fullbacks.