Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

I am all for blood and thunder type players, but how a professional footballer could have such a brain fart, just baffles me. He has been one of our best players recently, and we weren't even losing at the time.

Is it a three game ban tackle ? No contact with the opponent at all. One game should be enough, three if he has caught his man yes. I know all this intent blah blah blah his intent was to win the ball and he did, he wasn't looking to hurt anyone.

It was reckless and stupid yes but he would be looking at the same length ban had he hurt him.

Guest bimpy474

Is it a three game ban tackle ? No contact with the opponent at all. One game should be enough, three if he has caught his man yes. I know all this intent blah blah blah his intent was to win the ball and he did, he wasn't looking to hurt anyone.

It was reckless and stupid yes but he would be looking at the same length ban had he hurt him.

Intent, caught the man, didn't catch the man.....it's all irrelevent really. If a tackle is deemed dangerous by the ref and the player is shown a red whatever the outcome it's an automatic 3 games. And the tackle was certainly dangerous imo.

Frankly, after the assault on Haidara last season which went unpunished,  the FA's view on what is/isn't a bad tackle and what the punishment should be is a fecking joke.

Whilst he shouldn't have made the tackle knowing what the consequences and subsequent punishment could be, 3 games for getting the ball is too harsh, imo.

Guest chopey

It's three games because he got caught, that Wigan hooligan last year nearly killed Haidara  and got nowt because it wasn't seen.

Guest bimpy474

It's three games because he got caught, that Wigan hooligan last year nearly killed Haidara  and got nowt because it wasn't seen.

It was seen though, by the lino who did nothing and then the FA hid behind the rule book. Disgrace at the time and still is.

I am not defending the tackle at all but the rules are a bit shit, yes he should get a ban but one games not three. Had he caught him then three or five would be fine, but he was not out to hurt anyone it was full blooded I want the ball and he got i.

The FA should be able to look at that and take it into consideration.

I am not defending the tackle at all but the rules are a bit s***, yes he should get a ban but one games not three. Had he caught him then three or five would be fine, but he was not out to hurt anyone it was full blooded I want the ball and he got i.

I suppose, playing devil's advocate for a moment, you couldn't really say that a 2 footed tackle is a 1 game ban if you get the ball but a 3 game ban if you get the man. If he'd connected with their player, he'd have more than likely broken the lad's leg. The fact that the tackle was very well timed and, indeed, aimed and the other player wasn't hurt-or even touched-will count for nothing given the 'what if' scenario.

I am not defending the tackle at all but the rules are a bit s***, yes he should get a ban but one games not three. Had he caught him then three or five would be fine, but he was not out to hurt anyone it was full blooded I want the ball and he got i.

I suppose, playing devil's advocate for a moment, you couldn't really say that a 2 footed tackle is a 1 game ban if you get the ball but a 3 game ban if you get the man. If he'd connected with their player, he'd have more than likely broken the lad's leg. The fact that the tackle was very well timed and, indeed, aimed and the other player wasn't hurt-or even touched-will count for nothing given the 'what if' scenario.

and rightly so. Horrible lunge, those tackles should be nowhere near the game.

Guest bimpy474

I am not defending the tackle at all but the rules are a bit shit, yes he should get a ban but one games not three. Had he caught him then three or five would be fine, but he was not out to hurt anyone it was full blooded I want the ball and he got i.

I agree about the rules being mental, they really are at times but in this case it's spot on. Win the ball, not win it, catch a player or not. It's just a rank bad tackle. You only stop them by doing something about them, not excusing them because he won the ball and didn't hurt anyone.

I'm just glad he got the ball and not the player. If so we would be looking at a carreer-threatening horror injury. He should serve out his three game ban and never, ever do this again.

It's probably the thickest tackle I've ever seen.

I seriously think he thought that as long as he gets the ball cleanly he can't get sent off. He didn't seem frustrated throughout the match and it felt more like he was just trying to get at the ball first. Moronic tackle though :thup:

Frankly, after the assault on Haidara last season which went unpunished,  the FA's view on what is/isn't a bad tackle and what the punishment should be is a fecking joke.

Whilst he shouldn't have made the tackle knowing what the consequences and subsequent punishment could be, 3 games for getting the ball is too harsh, imo.

I agree with this, the fact that debuchy will get the full shafting from the FA for this, is mental considering the tackle on haidara last season. I would be more supportive of the rules, if they were more consistent.

It's probably the thickest tackle I've ever seen.

This. What the fuck was he thinking? Just as his form had picked up and he was looking absolute quality, he does that?

Just hope we don't suffer in the next three games, and that he can come back in and continue playing the way he was before yesterdays game.

Only reason he got none of the man was because their player shit his pants and moved out of the way, fortunately.

Can't believe people are defending him though, fairly sure that's someones special move on Streets of Rage  :lol:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9109707/debuchy-is-key

It was a hapless start to the season. Newcastle's static right-back allowed Pablo Zabaleta's hopeful pass to somehow found its way through to Samir Nasri. The Frenchman duly slotted the ball past Tim Krul to complete a 4-0 win for Manchester City and the knives were out for Mathieu Debuchy. When you're being unfavourably compared to Danny Simpson, it's clear things are not going well.

Debuchy's sluggish efforts on the opening weekend came after a difficult first season following his truncated January switch from Lille. After making his debut in a goalless draw with Norwich, Debuchy was not part of another clean sheet for over seven months with a red card in the 6-0 home defeat to Liverpool in April an obvious low point.

Worryingly, the 28-year-old France international was showing signs of being unable to adapt to the English game. "The matches are two times as fast," admitted the player himself in an interview with RMC Sport. "There's more intensity. There are no stoppages. Every week we have difficult matches, even against the bottom team. Training is more intense. It's really different."

Playing the game at such pace tests fitness and technique but also demands high levels of concentration. Errors were a problem. "We experienced a difficult period," he added. "It's the first time that I was fighting against relegation. Every so often, I was a little more on edge. It's definitely down to that. I've got to cut out these mistakes -- I'm going to find a solution to them."

Turnaround

It seemed as though that solution had been found. And the turnaround in fortunes - for both player and club - was certainly spectacular. A sequence of seven Premier League wins from nine games lifted Newcastle into the top half of the table and included impressive victories over Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United.

All three of those wins were built on solid defensive performances as Alan Pardew's side managed to achieve three unlikely clean sheets. The last team to score more than once at St James' Park was Liverpool in October when the Magpies were reduced to 10 men in the first half and still succeeded in snatching a point. The role of Debuchy has been pivotal.

The modern full-back has become a marauding figure in the game, more inclined to provide an attacking outlet than offer cover for his centre-backs. But the combative Debuchy has been a key defensive figure at right-back, boasting some eye-catching statistics. Only the burly Branislav Ivanovic has won more aerial duels from full-back.

"He puts his life on the line every time in every game he plays," Pardew recently told the Newcastle Chronicle. That's reflected in his tackling with his tally of 64 being the highest by any Premier League defender so far this season. He's consistent too, making at least five tackles in seven different matches this campaign. No defender in the top flight can beat that record.

"My style is to go into tackles," says Debuchy, a method that might explain his nine yellow cards for club and country this season. But if this paints a picture of an irresponsible character covering for positional mistakes, the image might be an inaccurate one. Interceptions are a valued defensive trait in the world of analytics and here too Debuchy ranks among the top Premier League full-backs.

This defensive contribution has been vital in giving Newcastle a platform from which to get results, but it has complemented rather than prevented his attacking instincts. "I'm allowed to push forward when appropriate and to participate in our attacks," explains Debuchy. "Last year it was a bit difficult because the manager wanted me to stay in position defensively."

Key partnership

Indeed, with 36 per cent of Newcastle's attacks coming from that third of the pitch - more than the other two zones - the right-hand side has been an important weapon for the team. In particular, the relationship with Moussa Sissoko has blossomed. The powerful midfielder is inclined to drift infield, opening up space for Debuchy to advance and it is reaping dividends.

"We have to enjoy them when they are playing together like this," midfielder Yohan Cabaye told Newcastle United's official website after the 3-0 win at Crystal Palace. "We have done very well down that side. The way they were together, their passing and crossing, was brilliant. A lot of our attacks came from that side and that helped us win the game."

Even in the recent home defeat to Arsenal, Debuchy was impressive in dealing with the threat of Santi Cazorla, clearing a Theo Walcott effort off the line and getting forward well. But last time out against West Brom, that old reckless side to his game emerged again as he was red carded for a wild lunge on Claudio Yacob. Newcastle went on to lose the game. Debuchy was culpable.

Newcastle will now be without their star full-back for two Premier League games, beginning with Sunday's televised clash with Manchester City. In some ways, last week's sending off at the Hawthorns represents a setback. But as the Newcastle fans peruse the team sheet and wonder how they will cope without him, there are also signs of just how far Mathieu Debuchy has come.