Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Did we look likely to win with him on the field? Everything I've read suggests not.

I doubt it but we wouldn't have been hanging on as badly for the last 20 minute.  Looked like a nothing game heading now here but 0-0 until his moronic challenge.  Cost us a probable point and him for several games.

I'm not sure if there's a rule against 2-footed challenges as such (might be dangerous play, which 2-footed tackles are universally now deemed as) but I 100% think a player should never go in with 2 feet and they should be sent off if they do so.  It's dangerous and needless.

Not really even the modern game is it, any more. Someone in here said it wouldn't be a foul 25 years ago. When Debuchy was 3 years old. :lol:

Pre Sky he'd have got away with it. That wasn't the point though. The point was how the rules have changed to take out most contact. There used to be players that would complain to the ref. when getting booked that it was their first foul. You'd often see them gesticulating first one. That's because you would get away with more. If somebody played the ball and not the player it was a good tackle. You could slide tackle from behind and take the ball, not even a free kick.

And it's because of this less physical game we have today that the divers have become more common. You'd get the odd one but they were very few and far between. But there was little point in it because more was allowed. And if it did take place, then,  to risk being jingoistic,  it would be a foreign player doing it, and we'd be seeing it at International level, never in a domestic game.

I don't have any issue with your point in that case, just saying that players these days literally have no excuse. That kind of tackle has never been okay in their entire playing careers.

I'm 43 started playing 11 a side at 7 years old, that kind of tackle has never been acceptable, not ever.

Of course it has.

Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and the like made careers from them kind of tackles.Playing the ball without touching the opponent; nobody would bat an eyelid 20 or 30 years ago.Sliding through players to get the ball,  as long as the ball was played, nobody batted an eyelid, indeed them tackles were even applauded.  No room for it in this day and age though and that's why I agree he had to go.

Like Cabaye he gets frustrated in games and is liable to have a nibble.

I don't think the two are similar at all. Debuchy is an aggressive player at all times and I think he would have made that tackle every time while Cabaye is more petulant and starts kicking when things aren't going well

Having not seen the match at the time and then reading this:

Debuchy's lunge was undoubtedly reckless but he appeared to win the ball cleanly and there were no appeals from the home side for referee Lee Mason to take action.

I was expecting it to be miles more debatable than it was. Fuck knows what the bit in bold is about as well, they were all screaming for a red.

Debuchy's lunge was undoubtedly reckless but he appeared to win the ball cleanly and there were no appeals from the home side for referee Lee Mason to take action.

I was expecting it to be miles more debatable than it was. f*** knows what the bit in bold is about as well, they were all screaming for a red.

:lol:

the lad who he 'challenges' luckily skips past it and immediately \o/ to the ref :lol: also...very audible appeals on the speakers.

Only just seen the tackle there - whilst he does get the ball, the manner in which he does so was dangerous. Having two feet off the ground when attempting to do a slide tackle is just asking for trouble - if he got any of the player there, it would have been a leg breaker, no doubt so it was a deserved red card. Such an idiotic challenge but the unfortunate thing is that it was a rush of blood to the head which Debuchy (and Cabaye) is prone to on the rare occasion (though it is usually on the back of frustration...).

He done a few stupid challenges early on at Newcastle, I put it down to not being up to speed with the league.  The way he's been playing lately I thought that was behind him, made it all the more galling when he done it today.  Such a hot-headed stupid thing to do which you wouldn't expect from an experienced player.

Now we're gona miss him badly, silly fucker man.

Guest bimpy474

I'm 43 started playing 11 a side at 7 years old, that kind of tackle has never been acceptable, not ever.

Of course it has.

Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and the like made careers from them kind of tackles.Playing the ball without touching the opponent; nobody would bat an eyelid 20 or 30 years ago.Sliding through players to get the ball,  as long as the ball was played, nobody batted an eyelid, indeed them tackles were even applauded.  No room for it in this day and age though and that's why I agree he had to go.

Two footed jump ins have never been acceptable, going through the back of a attacker was something i used to get away with, also as you pointed out sliding through someone to get the ball.

The key here is he never slid through some, or went throught back of someone. He jumped two footed, launch himself in a ridiculous tackle. Would have been red years ago, not just now.

I was expecting it to be miles more debatable than it was. f*** knows what the bit in bold is about as well, they were all screaming for a red.

That's a pretty reasonable shout from .com, apart from the no appeals bit.

Even though he got the ball, you can't jump in two-footed like that...needs to cut that out of his game. Pretty sure he got away with something similar against Arsenal.

Mind, having said that, the way the Boat Burners on ReadyToGiggle are going on, you'd think he couldn't have gone in harder or faster if he'd been in the Hadron Collider.  :idiot2: